Thread: HELP with Proof setup on CS3

Deregistered

Default HELP with Proof setup on CS3

hi guys i am usign a macbook and i just notice colors on my macbook and on the windows machine is off by a mile.... could it be cus mine is not calibrated?

under photoshop there is a proof setup and i set mine to windows RGB Macintosh RGB is much more warmer. i have no idea how to go abt it..

Need to set for prints so abit desperate here

Deregistered

Default Re: HELP with Proof setup on CS3

eh no one has this issue???

get a monitor calibration device

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    get a monitor calibration device
    lol seem like BBB again :S not cheap.. no other way around it bro?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird17 View Post
    No. Your eyes are not a reliable instrument to judge colours. You need a calibrator and create a proper monitor profile for each monitor. Only then you can edit pictures and they will look similar on both screens.
    The "proof setup" has a different function, IIRC. But I can't comment on that, I don't use PS3. Read more in "Digital Darkroom" section.

sadly, no.

it makes a world of difference though, especially if your monitor is way off in terms of color.

anyways, if there is a problem with finance, ask friends who are into photography for a loan, i'm sure they won't mind. in fact, if i were in singapore, you could borrow mine, but i'm not, and it's with me so..

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    sadly, no.

it makes a world of difference though, especially if your monitor is way off in terms of color.

anyways, if there is a problem with finance, ask friends who are into photography for a loan, i'm sure they won't mind. in fact, if i were in singapore, you could borrow mine, but i'm not, and it's with me so..
    thnx. i WAIT till you come back loh hahhaa

hi guys i am usign a macbook and i just notice colors on my macbook and on the windows machine is off by a mile.... could it be cus mine is not calibrated?

under photoshop there is a proof setup and i set mine to windows RGB Macintosh RGB is much more warmer. i have no idea how to go abt it..

Need to set for prints so abit desperate here
    Windows platform are on gamma 2.2 and Mac are on gamma 1.8. Don't ask me why. That's why normally mac screens are brighter in comparison to Windows. In addition to these differences, it's also likely of different screens with no calibration, hence the difference. You can narrow down the differences but not entirely in my opinion. Even the ambient lighting can affect the colours when 2 screens are placed at different angles and conditions. To make things worse, the border of your monitor if one is black and one is white gives you different colours to your eyes, which is hence one of the threads below mention, don't trust your eyes, trust the calibrated values. If you are trying to achieve monitor to monitor similarity, forget it, it's not important. Calibration are more important towards screen and output devices which is ultimately printed or developed medium.

You need the colour management workflow to produce accurate ICC profiles for all your devices to achieve consistent colours. But it's not a cheap workflow
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    Windows platform are on gamma 2.2 and Mac are on gamma 1.8. Don't ask me why. That's why normally mac screens are brighter in comparison to Windows. In addition to these differences, it's also likely of different screens with no calibration, hence the difference. You can narrow down the differences but not entirely in my opinion. Even the ambient lighting can affect the colours when 2 screens are placed at different angles and conditions. To make things worse, the border of your monitor if one is black and one is white gives you different colours to your eyes, which is hence one of the threads below mention, don't trust your eyes, trust the calibrated values. If you are trying to achieve monitor to monitor similarity, forget it, it's not important. Calibration are more important towards screen and output devices which is ultimately printed or developed medium.

You need the colour management workflow to produce accurate ICC profiles for all your devices to achieve consistent colours. But it's not a cheap workflow
    hmmm......tp get a calibrator or not??? any kind souls are willing to help me do it?
    btw you are david that day tgt with use at studiospace??
    Last edited by bigbird17; 3rd December 2008 at 12:53 PM.

hmmm......tp get a calibrator or not??? any kind souls are willing to help me do it?
    If you wanted colour consistency, it has to be done regularly.It changes over time, probably your eyes cannot see, but it's changing. You need your own device for it. Try the spyder for screen calibration only. If you also want to calibrate your printer, it's not a cheap solution.

Deregistered

If you wanted colour consistency, it has to be done regularly.It changes over time, probably your eyes cannot see, but it's changing. You need your own device for it. Try the spyder for screen calibration only. If you also want to calibrate your printer, it's not a cheap solution.
    i see.. $$$ again :S nah i wanna calibrate it for print actually.. you are the David who was at studio space on Sat????

i see.. $$$ again :S nah i wanna calibrate it for print actually.. you are the David who was at studio space on Sat????
    Yup, I was there So which is you ?
    By the way, u didn't know photography is a not a cheap hobby ?

Deregistered

Yup, I was there So which is you ?
    By the way, u didn't know photography is a not a cheap hobby ?
    bro you using D3 haha.. i am the guy u ask me to be your partner haha.. no wonder ur name and display seem familar.. the only guy there using a fuji

how was your shots that day? i find the colors abit too warm for my liking... i am a student only... but i wanna sent my photos for prints so i need to get the colors right!!!!

bro you using D3 haha.. i am the guy u ask me to be your partner haha.. no wonder ur name and display seem familar.. the only guy there using a fuji

how was your shots that day? i find the colors abit too warm for my liking... i am a student only... but i wanna sent my photos for prints so i need to get the colors right!!!!
    I see. Yes I do remember you Erm.. well it's tricky. Colour management is originally targeted at the professional so they are quite costly, but now it's more affordable.

Truthly, if you want to have colour consistency all the way to print, it's not easy because you need to calibrate the output device or get it from the printers. Let me tell you what. Take your JPEG to one of the photo development stalls. Print them... take note, there are printing services that print out not using dye, but follows the normal film development process except it's using your JPEG as the medium instead of the negative. They produce very sharp output and looks like developing thru the film. Look at the colours and see if it is to your liking. Because you cannot be sure if the colours you are reading off the screen is the same as the output or not. If you have got your WB right during the shoot, it should be quite okay.

If you already wanna spend, just get the colour calibration for the screen, it will give you half the workflow. get the cheapest spyder software from CP or other shops

Deregistered

I see. Yes I do remember you Erm.. well it's tricky. Colour management is originally targeted at the professional so they are quite costly, but now it's more affordable.

Truthly, if you want to have colour consistency all the way to print, it's not easy because you need to calibrate the output device or get it from the printers. Let me tell you what. Take your JPEG to one of the photo development stalls. Print them... take note, there are printing services that print out not using dye, but follows the normal film development process except it's using your JPEG as the medium instead of the negative. They produce very sharp output and looks like developing thru the film. Look at the colours and see if it is to your liking. Because you cannot be sure if the colours you are reading off the screen is the same as the output or not. If you have got your WB right during the shoot, it should be quite okay.

If you already wanna spend, just get the colour calibration for the screen, it will give you half the workflow. get the cheapest spyder software from CP or other shops
    guess i just go down KT print out a photo to see my liking or nt hahhaa.. cool so u plan to move more into studio? nice gears you have btw

guess i just go down KT print out a photo to see my liking or nt hahhaa.. cool so u plan to move more into studio? nice gears you have btw
    Thanks... when you start working and have the budget for it, do pamper yourself with a good tool too
    No I'm not moving into studio or what. I'm want to be and always on the ground of exploring different approaches to produce better works. May it be landscape, photoshoot, or whatsoever is beautiful. Make them stay and freeze in action