Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which filter should I buy for a canon 50mm f1.8ll lens?

Default Re: Which filter should I buy for a canon 50mm f1.8ll lens?

Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    OT:
    Anyway is a B+W filter seriously that much better than a Hoya filter, ie. worth the price? I'm considering getting a B+W for my 55-250mm, do you think its worth it?

I'm not sure if I actually see any IQ degrade, but I have a strong feeling I'm just catching BBB from all these persuasion.
    You can check the prices in the Mass Order section. Don't get shocked. If you still think it's cheap then go to Orient Photo and ask for Rodenstock filters
    Indeed, BBB is tempting and it's good to refrain any infection. Do you want to take pictures or do you want to be concerned about your equipment? I'd suggest: Take pictures and be careful A hood is a good protection, confirmed by experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    You can check the prices in the Mass Order section. Don't get shocked. If you still think it's cheap then go to Orient Photo and ask for Rodenstock filters
    Indeed, BBB is tempting and it's good to refrain any infection. Do you want to take pictures or do you want to be concerned about your equipment? I'd suggest: Take pictures and be careful A hood is a good protection, confirmed by experience.
    I'm starting to buy your advice and will consider taking the filter off 52mm, it makes some sense.

Not entirely sure if that will be the case for my 55-250. So far the IQ has been the most satisfactory amongst all my lenses.. (I'm not one for expensive lenses that is). I've been able to do 100% headshot crops of subjects 20m away (wide open) and still see fine details such as hair, etc. And I'm using a single coated filter only... The lens is quite "shallow".

I saw the MO, $55 for a B+W brass filter. near $30 for a Hoya HMC... (darn BBB!)... hm, whats your take? Still don't buy and use hood only? Hoods don't fit my bags though. =(
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

Ah yes, I had a fingerprint smudge on it too, took like 2 servings of lens cleaning solution + lens tissues to clean out, I kind of agree with the coating issue. Seems like the coating is easily cleaned off too (filter that is)... I'm not sure, any experiences to confirm? My scratches don't seem to be scratches but just "coating scratches".

So anyway, now that i already have a filter, whats your advice, remove or keep? haha.

OT:
    Anyway is a B+W filter seriously that much better than a Hoya filter, ie. worth the price? I'm considering getting a B+W for my 55-250mm, do you think its worth it?

I'm not sure if I actually see any IQ degrade, but I have a strong feeling I'm just catching BBB from all these persuasion.

I did a test earlier anyway, just a simple comparison... besides a SLIGHT change of color tones, sharpness difference wasn't that obvious at all.
    keep the filter on if you're going to bad-ass environments like treking or the beach, etc. but if you're going to an event or just about on the streets, keep the filter off. it's very unlikely for you to kill the lens lah.

B+W filters are good. worth the money. but if you already have a filter for your 55-250, then don't reconisder buying another one lah. by the way, what's the diameter of the 55-250? the bigger, the more expensive. when getting filters, that's something you might consider too.

don't buy for the sake of buying. buy what you need lah. it's like CPLs, some people swear by them. i don't think they're that necessary (as i don't see the need of it for my photography, as of yet). needs are relative.

anyway, filters should be the least of your concerns! hahaha.

Quote Originally Posted by frametology View Post
    keep the filter on if you're going to bad-ass environments like treking or the beach, etc. but if you're going to an event or just about on the streets, keep the filter off. it's very unlikely for you to kill the lens lah.

B+W filters are good. worth the money. but if you already have a filter for your 55-250, then don't reconisder buying another one lah. by the way, what's the diameter of the 55-250? the bigger, the more expensive. when getting filters, that's something you might consider too.

don't buy for the sake of buying. buy what you need lah. it's like CPLs, some people swear by them. i don't think they're that necessary (as i don't see the need of it for my photography, as of yet). needs are relative.

anyway, filters should be the least of your concerns! hahaha.
    haha, 55-250 is currently my favorite lens... can't afford L but this one is satisfying enough and I am someone who goes by filters, although the contraversial issues still shake me up. No firm stand that is.

My current filter is a single coated... and suprisingly MS Color charged me $15 for it! a few dollars difference, but I was unsuspecting. =( Even my 52mm was $15 but that one is coated both sides. (STILL!)

Theres an MO selling the Brass MRC B+W filters for $55, a bit heafty for a filter alone, so don't know if I should just stop at a Hoya HMC, but then people say hoya's harder to clean? I'm like an avid cleaner of my filters, if I bring my lens out for more than 5 hours I'll clean them.

Theres an MO selling the Brass MRC B+W filters for $55, a bit heafty for a filter alone, so don't know if I should just stop at a Hoya HMC, but then people say hoya's harder to clean? I'm like an avid cleaner of my filters, if I bring my lens out for more than 5 hours I'll clean them.
    don't clean lenses or filters too much. clean when necessary. and only clean with proper optical cloths. though i'm often guilty of cleaning with my shirt. HAHA. i use the inside. abit smoother.

55 is okay lah. i paid 75 for my 67mm B+W. from CP.

Quote Originally Posted by frametology View Post
    don't clean lenses or filters too much. clean when necessary. and only clean with proper optical cloths. though i'm often guilty of cleaning with my shirt. HAHA. i use the inside. abit smoother.

55 is okay lah. i paid 75 for my 67mm B+W. from CP.
    Haha, question, do you know if all B+W filters are made of brass or they got different types? someone offered me a MRC 010M, wonder if its different from a MRC 010, but I can't find the 010 on the B+W site, but its the one the MO guy is selling.

Shalll save up for ONE B+W filter I guess... hope I don't get BBB.

just dont put a B+W Multi coated lens in this lens... because the filter price is about the same with the lens price

Quote Originally Posted by archlover View Post
    just dont put a B+W Multi coated lens in this lens... because the filter price is about the same with the lens price
    No leh...a 52mm B+W MRC UV-Haze is around half of the lens price only.
    Canon EOS 5D, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 50 f/1.2 L, 70-300 f/4-5.6 L IS, 600EX-RT. Sigma 12-24 f/4.5-5.6 EX.

Haha, question, do you know if all B+W filters are made of brass or they got different types? someone offered me a MRC 010M, wonder if its different from a MRC 010, but I can't find the 010 on the B+W site, but its the one the MO guy is selling.

Shalll save up for ONE B+W filter I guess... hope I don't get BBB.
    there are different types i think. there are the thinner type of filters. not too sure. i'm not a filter guru. you may want to ask the MO guy, henessy. he's a good seller.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12