Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    CHOI AH!

Razin eesh a beri established artistik photoglapher yu kno! How can use anyting less than Neecon R25 filters? 105mm summor!
    hahahahah....okie okie...shhhhhh

Shhhhhhhhhh! Wait the others know de secklet!
    is it 1? just buy filters in red, green, yellow & blue to experiment can liao.

ooops, i OTed...
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 3rd December 2008 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    hahahahah....okie okie...shhhhhh
    Razin eesh onli a made-up name. In real life, he shoots under the Moniker 'Elthin Jon'.

Various sources have reported seeing Elthin at some of the world's hot-spots armed with nothing more than his trusty camera and signature red-lensed spectacles, rumoured to be made of material scavanged from the original lunar program where Neecon and Hasselbald cameras were used exclusively. On close-inspection, you will see faded and partially scraped-off letterings resembling 'Nee' on the rims of his spectacles. Sources cannot confrim how Mr Jon survives without any clothes in these war-zones, but military advisors speculate that it allows him to blend in better with the sand dunes and urban rubble of bomb-wrecked cities thus explaining how Mr Jon is able to tale some of the world's most stunning war photographs so up close and personal, and still remain unscathed.

Attached United Pless photo of the insides of one such war victim's nostril-a signature trademark of almost all of Mr Jin's works. Mr jon is able to go so close, that we see nothing but the black vacuum of death ... and perhaps the remnants of a few nostril hairs.

Source: Hooters News Line

Yes. I have no commitments and being there represents a chance for me to tell the story as i see it...

I'd do it.
    good experience

Razin eesh onli a made-up name. In real life, he shoots under the Moniker 'Elthin Jon'.

Various sources have reported seeing Elthin at some of the world's hot-spots armed with nothing more than his trusty camera and signature red-lensed spectacles, rumoured to be made of material scavanged from the original lunar program where Neecon and Hasselbald cameras were used exclusively. On close-inspection, you will see faded and partially scraped-off letterings resembling 'Nee' on the rims of his spectacles. Sources cannot confrim how Mr Jon survives without any clothes in these war-zones, but military advisors speculate that it allows him to blend in better with the sand dunes and urban rubble of bomb-wrecked cities thus explaining how Mr Jon is able to tale some of the world's most stunning war photographs so up close and personal, and still remain unscathed.

Attached United Pless photo of the insides of one such war victim's nostril-a signature trademark of almost all of Mr Jin's works. Mr jon is able to go so close, that we see nothing but the black vacuum of death ... and perhaps the remnants of a few nostril hairs.

Source: Hooters News Line
    ALAMAK! EXPOSED alerdi!
    It is easier to critique than to create ; www.razin-photography.com
    My studio is available for rent

Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    they are armed with sub-machine guns fanning out terrorists as they moved, u are armed with a DSLR moving along with them, capturing shots of their work in action and the victims eg hostages...

very highly paid but risk of losing life always
    Not just the physical risks involved, but the emotional and psychological damage you risk upon yourself. Are you willing to take photos of civilians executed in public? Women and children raped and mutilated? Unwilling conscripts caught and tortured? The resulting famine and drought that follows, some child looking at you, begging you as the last hope for food and water, but you know you can't help because you're a journalist and you're supposed to be emotionally neutral. You're there to do a job.

Then when you get a prize-winning shot of a war victim, gazing into your camera just moments before she dies, you get people screaming at you, Why didn't you put down your camera to help???

Not me. I don't think I can stomach this. There have been more than a few cases of war photojournalists who survived the war itself, but ended up killing themselves due to depression.
    Sony Alpha system user. www.pbase.com/synapseman

Quote Originally Posted by synapseman View Post
    Not just the physical risks involved, but the emotional and psychological damage you risk upon yourself. Are you willing to take photos of civilians executed in public? Women and children raped and mutilated? Unwilling conscripts caught and tortured? The resulting famine and drought that follows, some child looking at you, begging you as the last hope for food and water, but you know you can't help because you're a journalist and you're supposed to be emotionally neutral. You're there to do a job.

Then when you get a prize-winning shot of a war victim, gazing into your camera just moments before she dies, you get people screaming at you, Why didn't you put down your camera to help???

Not me. I don't think I can stomach this. There have been more than a few cases of war photojournalists who survived the war itself, but ended up killing themselves due to depression.
    a point i wanted to bring out.

it takes more than pure guts to become a war photojournalist, you also need extreme physical and mental willpower, so much so that i would say it is even more difficult than the soldiers outside killing.

A neutral party seeing people around you dying, yet you cant help, not to mention the stress you have to go through from public or even your dear friends for not able to understand you and yet screaming at you for a pyscho not helping the needy. And you yourself, able to convince your heart that you are doing a service by capturing the realistic moments and sharing the world with the raw moments of fear, true emotional side of human nature and not a cold blooded co-killer?

I think i am not that strong

If someone ever asks me (seriously), I will definitely take up the task.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Benosaurous View Post

I think i am not that strong
    or not numb enough?

i would love to grab that chance, provided i have a pistol to protect myself...

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_84 View Post
    You won't have time to protect yourself with a pistol...

nor can u protect yourself from snipers... recall the recent incident where a japanese journalist was shot by a sniper?
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    You won't have time to protect yourself with a pistol...

nor can u protect yourself from snipers... recall the recent incident where a japanese journalist was shot by a sniper?
    he was hit by stray bullets, most news reports never indicate about a sniper...
    so can't be help also when bullets have no eyes.
    chances are even wearing a bullet proof vest, you can still get shot in the head...
    Last edited by Simon_84; 4th December 2008 at 02:31 PM.

he was hit by stray bullets, most news reports never indicate about a sniper...
    so can't be help also when bullets have no eyes.
    chances are even wearing a bullet proof vest, you can still get shot in the head...
    Which is why I say a pistol is USELESS....

being in such a situation exposes you to all sorts of danger. Does a gun make you invulnerable? And if you're there to capture a story, where would you have time to notice or pull out the gun.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

its surely not a job for worrywarts.

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Which is why I say a pistol is USELESS....

being in such a situation exposes you to all sorts of danger. Does a gun make you invulnerable? And if you're there to capture a story, where would you have time to notice or pull out the gun.
    is a risk that some are willing to take and some won't.
    or perhaps sg is too comfortable for most ppl ?

Quote Originally Posted by sORe-EyEz View Post
    its surely not a job for worrywarts.
    ya correct.
    those who worry too much can become something of a burden over here as ppl need to watch out more often for them.
    worse still, some of them even suffer a nervous breakdown...

that would mean that you can forget about plenty of opportunities, and say hello to alot of risks. carrying a gun arnd in a conflict zone immediately turns you into a combatant. keep that in mind.

you say "okay, i'll keep it out of sight then"

if you are frisked by militia/protestors/soldiers, they find you concealing a weapon, its even more suspicious to them....
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

ya correct.
    those who worry too much can become something of a burden over here as ppl need to watch out more often for them.
    worse still, some of them even suffer a nervous breakdown...
    thatz an added dimension of danger to the soldiers he/she accompanies. does a conflictzone photographer need to undergo some sort of stress test to qualify, mentally?
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 4th December 2008 at 06:42 PM.

Experiencing a paintball session would be quite enough for one to figure out that it is extremely easy to get hit by stray bullets. If one can get decent pictures without getting hit in a paintball session, War Photography would be the right career.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast