Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 54

Thread: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

  1. #1

    Default will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    they are armed with sub-machine guns fanning out terrorists as they moved, u are armed with a DSLR moving along with them, capturing shots of their work in action and the victims eg hostages...

    very highly paid but risk of losing life always
    Last edited by Exposure; 2nd December 2008 at 09:56 PM.

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    Only if I wish to gamble my life away....
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  3. #3

    Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Exposure View Post
    they are armed with sub-machine guns fanning out terrorists as they moved, u are armed with a DSLR moving along with them, capturing shots of their work in action and the victims eg hostages...

    very highly paid but risk of losing life always
    "It's better to live one day as a lion than a hundred years as a lamb."

    i think the spirit of the warjournalist embraces something like that

  4. #4

    Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    I would if I didn't have family commitments.

    But then again, being a war correspondent (photo journalist) or working in places of unrest has been the 'dream' of many a photographer at one stage or another, but not many have what it takes to do it.

  5. #5

    Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    But then again, being a war correspondent (photo journalist) or working in places of unrest has been the 'dream' of many a photographer at one stage or another, but not many have what it takes to do it.
    it is the opportunity to capture the rawest of human emotion

    the ugliest sight of human nature

    and the brighest light

    that said, it is never easy to make such a decision, even going into photography fulltime is a gamble to many, especially in singapore

  6. #6

    Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    it is the opportunity to capture the rawest of human emotion

    the ugliest sight of human nature

    and the brighest light

    that said, it is never easy to make such a decision, even going into photography fulltime is a gamble to many, especially in singapore
    It takes a special calling to do that, do it effectively and go on day after day doing it. Lofty ideals and goals will not cut it, unfortunately.

    It's like someone who says, "I could work at the vets! I love animals!", and that person might just well be the least suitable candidate to deal with the daily gore, suffering, owner and business hypocrisies and death, often excruciating ones.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    if i am up to the task, i would not mind.

    but first, how does 1 keep the gears dust free?

    "war photographer spends more time cleaning gears than taking pics!!"

  8. #8

    Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    This guy does very very nice work: http://www.zoriah.net/
    Its humbling. He's charging around trying to record things and we're sitting at home waiting for the next TV show to come on..

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    It takes a special calling to do that, do it effectively and go on day after day doing it. Lofty ideals and goals will not cut it, unfortunately.

    It's like someone who says, "I could work at the vets! I love animals!", and that person might just well be the least suitable candidate to deal with the daily gore, suffering, owner and business hypocrisies and death, often excruciating ones.
    such contradiction!!

    suitable anot depends, if a person has literally no passion in his/her line of work. how does 1 push the boundaries to reach greater heights? working for monetary rewards alone may kill an industry like say, photography...
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 2nd December 2008 at 10:42 PM.

  10. #10
    Senior Member redstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Beyond the outer limits
    Posts
    2,898

    Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    People shoot with guns, rifles, rockets, you shoot with camera.. if both aim at each other fire at the same time who'll win?

  11. #11

    Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    for me, the answer is Yes.
    One-North Explorers
    | Leave nothing but footprints, take nothing but photos |

  12. #12

    Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    Nope. I won't be. Because I don't have such adventurous spirit.
    Last edited by Zeddy; 3rd December 2008 at 08:39 PM.

  13. #13
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    In a heart beat man.... the chance to bear witness and do something documenting humanity and it's history in your life time in whatever form as oppose to life like all the other 99.99999% living the same life doing the same un-unique stuff genration after generation, marching to the same drum beat day in day out and dying in the end. Be imortalised by your work, changing lifes by bringing stories to the people.

    I had that chance in my younger days and I wish I took it not a photogrpaher but as a videographer being part of a roving news team. Had someone I know who worked with ABC news so I could have wrangle something to get a start in it. But....Just like being talked out of not taking a motobike licence as it is not safe and only for ruffians, I was talked out of taking the challenge on giving it a try too...always told to take the safe path. One of the big regrets of my life. I took chances but never chance as big like those. And I wish I did. Anyone of you get that kind of chance or calling, I say give it a fair shake. Go for it even if it means you stop half way...at least you tried it. At least then you don't have those "what if" period later in your life. Sure we have heard of death of reporters and journalist in hostile situation but the odd on it being as dangerous as it is ....is really not as high as you think. Reading the news just makes it so something.

  14. #14
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Former CS Senior Member
    Posts
    3,059

    Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    People shoot with guns, rifles, rockets, you shoot with camera.. if both aim at each other fire at the same time who'll win?
    of course he win la. i still have to wait for my lens to focus correctly. before the shutter open i already eaten his bullet.....unless he missed.

    if he missed, i win cause my focusing is razor sharp.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Woody Land
    Posts
    1,743

    Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    i cant even handle seeing blood.. what more in a war zone...
    It is easier to critique than to create ; www.razin-photography.com
    My studio is available for rent

  16. #16
    Senior Member sammy888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    1,568

    Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    Quote Originally Posted by razor View Post
    i cant even handle seeing blood.. what more in a war zone...
    Wear red tinted glasses all the time then heheh.......

  17. #17

    Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Wear red tinted glasses all the time then heheh.......
    then he'll never get out of bed

    everytime he gets up he will faint

  18. #18

    Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Wear red tinted glasses all the time then heheh.......
    CHOI AH!

    Razin eesh a beri established artistik photoglapher yu kno! How can use anyting less than Neecon R25 filters? 105mm summor!

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Woody Land
    Posts
    1,743

    Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    how u know ah???
    It is easier to critique than to create ; www.razin-photography.com
    My studio is available for rent

  20. #20

    Default Re: will u be a war photojournalist if given opportunity ?

    Shhhhhhhhhh! Wait the others know de secklet!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •