Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SIGMA SD9 @ 1800... good deal?

marican,

While I understand your excitedness and enthusiasm with the SD9, please DO NOT direct link such huge images and especially from sites as dpreview. I do not think the owner of that site will be happy if he finds out that his bandwidth has been going elsewhere.

As such, I have edited your posts with the direct linked images and changed them into hyperlinks instead.

Thanks for your understanding,
    Edmund
    ClubSNAP Admin

Quote Originally Posted by marican
    u mean NOONE IN SINGAPORE OWNS IT???

i tot i saw it on display somewhere near CP...

funny leh, they sell sigma lenses, why not the SD9?

i know there is a sigma office in singaproe...

wah lao, there are reputable online retailers selling at US$919!!

SD9 + Sigma Flash + full range of EX lenses will be CHEAP!!

supposedly the batt life isnt that good.. but the bat grip which costs $130 allows u to put 8AA batteries....

Always liked the idea of AA batteries...

ALAN PHOTO has one SD-9, this only because they are Sigma dealer and HAS to carry Sigma products, even if it is unpopular.

Their SD-9 has been there for months and the quantity is still 1.
    They do carry Sigma mount lens also.

The Sigma is mostly popular in Europore, mostly Eurporeans ask for it.

I dislike the fact you have to 'save' each shot after shooting else the image is lost.
    And All shots are in RAW only and you have to use a program provided to convert to JPEG if needed.
    And the restrictions of Sigma mount lens only, which means no 3rd party alternatives like Tokina or Tamron.

if the pics are straight out of the camera, they are very sharp and detailed indeed...

i think they are more detailed compared to my 10D...

wah 1 only? how u noe only got 1?
    wah kao that means if i were to buy it, it would be that exact set that 1000 ppl probably test out b4?

maybe i try CP or other stores...

wat u mean need to 'save' each shot?

from wat i read it can easily burst up to 6 frames... i dun think need to confirm a 'save' leh... that would defeat the purpose of high speed mode..

Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    ALAN PHOTO has one SD-9, this only because they are Sigma dealer and HAS to carry Sigma products, even if it is unpopular.

Their SD-9 has been there for months and the quantity is still 1.
    They do carry Sigma mount lens also.

The Sigma is mostly popular in Europore, mostly Eurporeans ask for it.

I dislike the fact you have to 'save' each shot after shooting else the image is lost.
    And All shots are in RAW only and you have to use a program provided to convert to JPEG if needed.
    And the restrictions of Sigma mount lens only, which means no 3rd party alternatives like Tokina or Tamron.

i osso tot at first modified... but all those are straight out of camera...
    dpreview dun alter their shots one...

Quote Originally Posted by mylau
    if the pics are straight out of the camera, they are very sharp and detailed indeed...

i think they are more detailed compared to my 10D...

oops sorry i just cilck the 'picture' icon. didnt noe.. thanks for changing for me

Quote Originally Posted by Edmund
    marican,

While I understand your excitedness and enthusiasm with the SD9, please DO NOT direct link such huge images and especially from sites as dpreview. I do not think the owner of that site will be happy if he finds out that his bandwidth has been going elsewhere.

As such, I have edited your posts with the direct linked images and changed them into hyperlinks instead.

Thanks for your understanding,
    Edmund
    ClubSNAP Admin

wah 1 only? how u noe only got 1?
    wah kao that means if i were to buy it, it would be that exact set that 1000 ppl probably test out b4?

maybe i try CP or other stores...

wat u mean need to 'save' each shot?

from wat i read it can easily burst up to 6 frames... i dun think need to confirm a 'save' leh... that would defeat the purpose of high speed mode..
    Don't worry, judging from it's popularity, it is hardly tested by more than a few times.

okay, I retract my statement abt the SD9 being there for months, else AP comes after my head. (just that I have been seeing the same box in the showcase for months, maybe it's an empty one? and AP has the rest in stores?)

Last edited by Winston; 8th September 2003 at 09:01 AM.

wah sucks... the only place i can find that sells it is AP and they are selling at $3500. bleah.

first thing tomorrow goign to call up the major retailers for quotations...

then i have to find a way to get the cash (just paid $$$ to repair my friends bike which i damaged )

i'll buy the cam and hopefully i won't end up with a dud of a cam...

One thing im scared of is, if NOONE bought any SD9s, would the stock that CP or AP have be super old stock 1st batch stuff?
    Maybe u can ask Join 3:16 to order for u. Their sigma stuff quite reasonably priced.

wah sucks... the only place i can find that sells it is AP and they are selling at $3500. bleah.
    u can try MSColor and ask them to order for you. tell them what u see on the internet and they will find out how much they will charge u. ask for Florence, the lady in her forties.

Smile

Suprised that the other camera developers have not released a foveon type sensor of their own. I'll confirm get it when they do.. and there are 3rd party lenses for the bodies

Quote Originally Posted by mylau
    u can try MSColor and ask them to order for you. tell them what u see on the internet and they will find out how much they will charge u. ask for Florence, the lady in her forties.
    hmm... CP also has a saleslady called Florence, looks like 40+ too.. coincidence?

Quote Originally Posted by Clown
    hmm... CP also has a saleslady called Florence, looks like 40+ too.. coincidence?
    MS Color sales lady is prettier. that's why the shop is called beautiful.
    Check out my wildlife pics at www.instagram.com/conrad_nature

Deregistered

marican, since you're so eager about the camera, you need not wait any further, just go and buy it now - after all, it's pointless to heap praises on a camera and not own it, right?

i want to get it, but cannot get here.. if can buy it at 1.8k today, i buy instantly. i will get from US... 2 weeks people ... 2 weeks...

Default sd9

i gotask for the price of sd9 last week... they say it 2600 plus... i don't know wat include..

I also very excited about sd9 . I think for lower mega pixel .. it produce vivid color, that most important in a camera isn't it...

the only con is that
    limited iso .. but it shouldn't be the problem....
    with flash even iso 200 can reproduce detail on the 35mm.

and the raw coverter is power.. anyone seem the pic blow up twice the size.

marican .. maybe we can keep in touch... can share some expriences

hi mzp, where u got the quotation at 2600?

i think boh pian i will get from US.. warranty wise i think never mind, 800 savings can get me a lot of servicing done... and i actually never had a cam spoil on me within 1 yr b4... so warranty osso useless

I reading up on SD9, and the pictures are SUPERB....

not just higher res, but higher dynamic range than 10D.

u can underexpose an image, and recover almost everything in the shadows with the superb software... i osso downloaded and tested on the X3F files... wah SUPERB man. fast raw conversion.

Some more, since all info is captured in lossless X3F, u can apply any white balance u want evne after the shot....

noise no problem. neat image can fix anything. its easier to fix a noisy image than an unsharp image...

also since everything is sigma mount, u can't use the parts again if u decide to go canon... but its ok lah, i guess... if its really good, i'll probably get the SD9 successor next time...

Default wrong

I reading up on SD9, and the pictures are SUPERB....

not just higher res, but higher dynamic range than 10D.

u can underexpose an image, and recover almost everything in the shadows with the superb software... i osso downloaded and tested on the X3F files... wah SUPERB man. fast raw conversion.

Some more, since all info is captured in lossless X3F, u can apply any white balance u want evne after the shot....

noise no problem. neat image can fix anything. its easier to fix a noisy image than an unsharp image...

also since everything is sigma mount, u can't use the parts again if u decide to go canon... but its ok lah, i guess... if its really good, i'll probably get the SD9 successor next time...
    Hi Marican, I think you are wrong. Frankly, I don't mean to say anything bad about the SD9 but if it's really a solid cam, many in CS would have gotten it.

If you underexpose an image, you can to a certain limit rescue through using the PS and using the curve function. But doing that introduces a lot of noise...you can see my so called "rescue' pic in the Luzerne bridge and tell me if that is acceptable. I am worried as what you said is totally untrue. A good, sharp and most importantly well-exposed image is most important. No PS or software can rescue a poorly underexposed or overexposed pic.

Neatimage? I would not use that...produces really silky images that look so false, so touched up. Most pros don't use that on megazine covers...Try using neat image on human faces that are small relative to the photos. They look like cotton balls.

Your prob will come when there is a dead pixel or dust.... The warrantyless issue will drive you nuts....

Consider carefully...and try the cam in the shop. Remember if it's good, many will be non-nikon, non-canon, non-olympus and all Sigma...

Actually, Sigma's warranty is worldwide, even if you buy it from the USA and if I am not mistakened, they provide up to 2-year of product warranty.

That aside, the SD9 with its Foveon X3 sensor is a fine performer though it has its fair share of significant glitches too. Well, the ultimate question is IF you want to buy into the Sigma system, IMO it is not something to be taken lightly. According to what I understand, the SD9 isn't doing very well, so there may or may not be a successor to the SD9. Now, if you are dead set to give Sigma a go, do yourself a favour, try it out for one last time at Alan Photo.

Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by Avatar; 9th September 2003 at 11:12 PM.

The main concerns with the Sigma are:

1)Limited max ISO of 400: Other DSLRs offer up to 1600/3200. A world of a difference if you need to shoot ambient light events or sports.

2)Highlight blowout and other image quirks mentioned in DPreviews's review.

3)FLM of 1.7(not for wide angle fans, but tele/nature freaks might like this)

4)Limited to Sigma lenses.(Nikon/Canon users can choose from at least 4 manufacturers each)

5)Low burst rate(not an issue for casual user)

To sum it up, its key weakness is versatility, it's not a camera for all occasions, being more suited for just casual photography.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast