Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 47

Thread: Must give way to buses

  1. #1

    Default Must give way to buses

    Must give way to buses

    From Dec 20, special yellow boxes and triangular give way to buses markings will be painted in front of selected bus stops. -AsiaOne
    Tony Ng

    Mon, Dec 01, 2008
    AsiaOne

    It is now compulsory to give way to all buses at a selected 23 bus stops.

    From Dec 20, special yellow boxes and triangular give way to buses markings will be painted in front of selected bus stops.

    Occurring along three roads, this will enhance the effectiveness of existing bus priority measures like bus lanes.

    They are Bukit Batok East Avenue 3, Toh Tuck Road and Ang Mo Kio Avenue 8.

    For this pilot scheme, signs will also be installed ahead of these bus stops to warn motorists they are approaching a bus stop where they must give way to buses.

    Motorists will be liable to a fine of $130 if they do not give way to buses exiting from the marked bays.

    However according to the LTA, motorists will be issued with advisories and warning letters initially.

    source: - http://motoring.asiaone.com/print/Mo...01-104733.html

  2. #2

    Default Re: Must give way to buses

    like my dad said, only the buses pay road tax! so many privileges!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Must give way to buses

    This is a good thing.

    Now if only they will do something for cyclists.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  4. #4

    Default Re: Must give way to buses

    One thing I HATE is bus lanes.....

    We have 3 lane road. right lane is blocked by turning traffic, left lane is bus lane, so end up one lane for cars.... Once a bus lane is set up, that road is condemned... even buses will find it difficult to filter out. cuz the road is so jammed.

  5. #5
    vince123123
    Guests

    Default Re: Must give way to buses

    It is already an offence not to give way for yellow box situations. THe question now is, does this new box impose additional obligations, or is it the same? What constitutes giving way? ie, even if traffic is in your favour you also have to give way - similar to ambulances? That is an obligation over and above the yellow box though.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    270 degree of Singapore
    Posts
    6,741

    Default Re: Must give way to buses

    Bus take more passengers, and govn is encouraging peasant to use more public transport, so that's the privilege. If only all drivers give way to bus without these rules, then why need these rules.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

  7. #7

    Default Re: Must give way to buses

    I think they should allow cars with 4 people inside to drive in bus lanes....

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Must give way to buses

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    like my dad said, only the buses pay road tax! so many privileges!
    A car is about 10 feet long. Made out of steel with 4 wheels with the ability to crush any motorcycle or bicycle to bits and smear it along the road like how u'd smear a crushed cockroach.

    A bus is about 40 feet long, 10 feet high. Made outta steel with an average of 8 wheels and the ability to crush anything smaller than it to bits without even feeling a single pinch or bump and smearing it on the roadside like how you would smear a crushed ant on the ground with its microscopic innards.

    Now let me ask u a question. If both the bus and the car pays exactly the same amount of road tax and are allowed equal rights on the road, and you are driving a car, would you give way to a bus?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Must give way to buses

    Quote Originally Posted by pisduck View Post
    I think they should allow cars with 4 people inside to drive in bus lanes....
    They definitely should implement some sort of car-pool privileges here. This has been ongoing in many other countries for years now, and I don't see why we can't go ahead and start a system like that.

    I think at least 3 in 1 car and you should be allowed to ride in the bus-lane, or a specified carpool lane. Something to that effect. But definitely single-drivers should be penalised.

    But then again, the LTA is the most inapt organisation in Singapore. Don't expect them to do anything useful that would be of assistance to commuters.
    Last edited by entropy_h; 1st December 2008 at 06:17 PM.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Must give way to buses

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    A car is about 10 feet long. Made out of steel with 4 wheels with the ability to crush any motorcycle or bicycle to bits and smear it along the road like how u'd smear a crushed cockroach.

    A bus is about 40 feet long, 10 feet high. Made outta steel with an average of 8 wheels and the ability to crush anything smaller than it to bits without even feeling a single pinch or bump and smearing it on the roadside like how you would smear a crushed ant on the ground with its microscopic innards.

    Now let me ask u a question. If both the bus and the car pays exactly the same amount of road tax and are allowed equal rights on the road, and you are driving a car, would you give way to a bus?
    This is why I hate Singaporean drivers. Have to break it down in dollars and cents to determine your rights on the road. No wonder polite and courteous drivers are few and far between.

    Is it really that hard to give way to a bus? Or even to other cars? So you get trapped behind 1 bus for a couple of minutes. Oh no, that's the end of the world! You're delayed by a couple of minutes, or maybe less than a minute!

    And yes, I give way to buses.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Must give way to buses

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    This is why I hate Singaporean drivers. Have to break it down in dollars and cents to determine your rights on the road. No wonder polite and courteous drivers are few and far between.

    Is it really that hard to give way to a bus? Or even to other cars? So you get trapped behind 1 bus for a couple of minutes. Oh no, that's the end of the world! You're delayed by a couple of minutes, or maybe less than a minute!

    And yes, I give way to buses.
    Actually I give way to bigger vehicles (like Monster SUVs, Buses, Rumbling Crushin' Lorries, Trailers) and vehicles without rear viewing capability when I drive for a simple no-brainer reason.

    "They bang me, I die. They get injured/zero injury."

    Even if one bothered to calculate this logic in dollar and cents, no brainer as in who's gonna be the biggest loser. Never mind if you're driving that Mercedes SLK Kompressor that probably costs like a 5 room flat and more expensive than that 50 feet of crushing steel called "Bus". There's no 'invulnerable shield' simply because ur car's more expensive.
    Last edited by jsbn; 1st December 2008 at 06:33 PM.

  12. #12

    Default Re: Must give way to buses

    Quote Originally Posted by jsbn View Post
    A car is about 10 feet long. Made out of steel with 4 wheels with the ability to crush any motorcycle or bicycle to bits and smear it along the road like how u'd smear a crushed cockroach.

    A bus is about 40 feet long, 10 feet high. Made outta steel with an average of 8 wheels and the ability to crush anything smaller than it to bits without even feeling a single pinch or bump and smearing it on the roadside like how you would smear a crushed ant on the ground with its microscopic innards.

    Now let me ask u a question. If both the bus and the car pays exactly the same amount of road tax and are allowed equal rights on the road, and you are driving a car, would you give way to a bus?

    hahhahaa NOPE! even if I am drive a Chery(奇瑞) QQ. hahahaha
    that is if i want to play punk!

    usually i just let them have their way...

  13. #13
    Member mivecdohc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Sunny(rainy) singapore
    Posts
    298

    Default Re: Must give way to buses

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    This is a good thing.

    Now if only they will do something for cyclists.
    yeah, i second that

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    singapore
    Posts
    1,799

    Default Re: Must give way to buses

    my vehicle has AT-Field

    LOL

  15. #15

    Default Re: Must give way to buses

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    This is a good thing.

    Now if only they will do something for cyclists.
    Now, maybe should do something for drivers of S Class, 7 series, etc....
    they are big, and they pay more road taxes, etc
    always the Light, .... always.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Must give way to buses

    if everybody zhi dong, where got need rule?

    when i drive around the uk countryside, people give way to me so often that i feel bad sometimes.

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,095

    Default Re: Must give way to buses

    Quote Originally Posted by vince123123 View Post
    It is already an offence not to give way for yellow box situations. THe question now is, does this new box impose additional obligations, or is it the same?
    I'd say the question is: why introduce more traffic rules if there if the police is either unwilling or incapable to make a credible attempt at enforcing existing rules?

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    SGee
    Posts
    1,572

    Default Re: Must give way to buses

    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    if everybody zhi dong, where got need rule?

    when i drive around the uk countryside, people give way to me so often that i feel bad sometimes.
    u mean Lim Chu Kang?

    u are really very far away...

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Must give way to buses

    Quote Originally Posted by Canonised View Post
    Now, maybe should do something for drivers of S Class, 7 series, etc....
    they are big, and they pay more road taxes, etc
    make them pay more erp and even higher road tax

    subsidize erp charges for people who drive hybrid vehicles
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Planet Eropagnis
    Posts
    2,944

    Default Re: Must give way to buses

    Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    hahhahaa NOPE! even if I am drive a Chery(奇瑞) QQ. hahahaha
    that is if i want to play punk!

    usually i just let them have their way...
    I dun think anyone in their right mind would wanna play punk on the road unless one feels their average lifespan of 75yrs (male) to 80yrs (female) is too long and wanna shave off 50% or more outta it.



    Still, I don't understand. Why would anyone try and play punk with a crushing steel of bus, 3-tonner, 4-tonner, van, lorry, trailer truck & monster SUV?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •