Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quad core vs Dual Core

Question Quad core vs Dual Core

Is it true that only Vista and above are written to take more advantages from multi-core processors than XP? Are Quad Core no significant improvement over Dual core if using XP?

Thinking of building my own system and ran into this question.......

Default Re: Quad core vs Dual Core

Great debate on the net over this.......

Quote Originally Posted by Hommie View Post
    Is it true that only Vista and above are written to take more advantages from multi-core processors than XP? Are Quad Core no significant improvement over Dual core if using XP?

Heard about it too.... but since I wouldn't be switching to Vista due to problem using older 3rd party software..... I'll stick to WinXP for now.... at least till Win7 shows that it works better

Scuba & Father... For Life

I think it depend more on individual programs that will utilise multi core or not, rather than the operating system. Though not sure will the start up time be faster or not.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Quote Originally Posted by zcf View Post
    I think it depend more on individual programs that will utilise multi core or not, rather than the operating system. Though not sure will the start up time be faster or not.
    yup... its the software used rather than the OS.

games with dual core optimised will see 2 of the core working and 2 other core relaxing on quad core system. i have an LCD showing my CPU usage when i am gaming.

for other software like 3D rendering and such, which will use as many cores as possible, it really speeds up with more cores. so you can see all 4 or more cores used.

for things like bootup of windows, etc, i don't think it utilise more than 1 core, and it depends what you are loading in the system instead... boot time is not indicative of CPU speed.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by Del_CtrlnoAlt View Post
    yup... its the software used rather than the OS.

games with dual core optimised will see 2 of the core working and 2 other core relaxing on quad core system. i have an LCD showing my CPU usage when i am gaming.

for other software like 3D rendering and such, which will use as many cores as possible, it really speeds up with more cores. so you can see all 4 or more cores used.

for things like bootup of windows, etc, i don't think it utilise more than 1 core, and it depends what you are loading in the system instead... boot time is not indicative of CPU speed.
    Thanks for the replies! This mean even XP Pro can take advantage of multi-core if the software is written for it? So far, I am torn between Q6600(quad but lower clock speed) and E8500(dual with a higher clock speed). Another question, if the software is not written to take advantage of multi-core processing, does the quad perform slower than dual?

Thanks for the replies! This mean even XP Pro can take advantage of multi-core if the software is written for it? So far, I am torn between Q6600(quad but lower clock speed) and E8500(dual with a higher clock speed). Another question, if the software is not written to take advantage of multi-core processing, does the quad perform slower than dual?
    then it depends on the processor already. for eg...

if you have a C2D 3.0ghz, and a C2Q 2.4ghz. but only 2 core are used for all the test... then obviously C2D will be faster. but if you are running 4 core software, then its 4 core vs 2 core, but speed wise, will depends on what its doing, 3.0ghz and 2.4ghz sometimes are pretty negligible... but 2 core vs 4 core there is a difference.
    Logging Off. "You have 2,631 messages stored, of a total 400 allowed." don't PM me.

Hmmm... the other time when i built my system, i figured out that i could not afford to make a fast Intel Pentium 4 System. So i went to make a AMD Dual Core... It is working well... So i was thinking of making a AMD Triple core for my nxt system. How come AMD will have Triple Core as well as Quad Core? While Intel P4 dun have. The AMD Triple Core is cheaper than Quad Core.

It's actually depend on what softwares you intend to use most, and whether it support multicores,

nowaday more and more software are written to take advantage of multicores, unlike one or two years ago, where multicores were quite awaste of money beside the use in server or 3D rendering. But now I have to upgrade to dual core CPU as my old singel core CPU can't play AVCHD 1080p movie smoothly.

A 3GHz C2D will run probably 10~20% faster than 2.4GHz C2Q in programs which single core or dual cores, e.g. game or PS3
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/d...x1050,818.html
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/d...-CS-3,826.html
    a 2.4GHz C2Q however may run upto 30% or more faster than 3GHz C2D in quad/multicores optimised program e.g. movie playing or decoding.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/d...6-8-3,830.html
    Last edited by zcf; 1st December 2008 at 02:11 PM.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

The latest video/image processing programs are multiprocessor/multithreaded, so there is a distinct quadcore advantage over dual core. However, most generic applications (surfing, word-processing, non-3D games, etc) are single-threaded, and are usually bottlenecked at the harddisk, not the processor. That said, most applications will perform better with a faster dual-core over a slower quadcore. It is a better buy - cheaper, less heat, higher overclockability. The exception would be if you do a lot of heavy video rendering, or some specific app that heavily utilises four cores.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx_sti_22b View Post
    Hmmm... the other time when i built my system, i figured out that i could not afford to make a fast Intel Pentium 4 System. So i went to make a AMD Dual Core... It is working well... So i was thinking of making a AMD Triple core for my nxt system. How come AMD will have Triple Core as well as Quad Core? While Intel P4 dun have. The AMD Triple Core is cheaper than Quad Core.
    may be it's design architecture issue? Or Intel don't care to earn these money and concentrate on full product. Triple core are mean to be Quad Core which has one core that are not successfully built during the manufacturing process, instead of throwing the unperfect chip away, AMD decide to sell them with a single chip disable and earn some money back.
    Sony Alpha 700 hobbyist

Thanks guys, all this info still doesn't make it any easier to choose between a faster dual core or a multi-tasking Quad. But I guess I'll go for the quad as I do imaging & video editing/rendering intensively.

Thanks guys, all this info still doesn't make it any easier to choose between a faster dual core or a multi-tasking Quad. But I guess I'll go for the quad as I do imaging & video editing/rendering intensively.
    if in doubt get both... if lagi in doubt... get octocore xeon processor with server mobo... perfect overkill for wordprocessing needs.

How about Core i7?
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    How about Core i7?
    Only motherboard & processor alone will set you back at least a thousand for Core i7. Not to mention the support for only DDR3 RAM, which is extremely expensive now.

Only motherboard & processor alone will set you back at least a thousand for Core i7. Not to mention the support for only DDR3 RAM, which is extremely expensive now.
    Yes, indeed ex$. Better setup a rig within your budget. But as compared with other system, it does run faster when running Photoshop and Video.

Core i7
    I AM BORNFIRE!
    My Flickr/TFCD Service

Quote Originally Posted by phoakm View Post
    Yes, indeed ex$. Better setup a rig within your budget. But as compared with other system, it does run faster when running Photoshop and Video.

Core i7
    As they say...your photo editing and video edting software MUST be written for multiprocessor/multithread processing if not...you just will not gain anything out of it. It is the same thing when you consider sticking with 32 bit Window OS or a 64bit. If it is not written for it it may not run or will just be slow or hardly will you notice the difference.

I've upgrade my PC to Quad core Extreme 9400(2.66Ghz) and overclocked to 3.4Ghz using Original heatsink. Works well for me so far for my NX2 and CS3 with XP. You need to change to a performance hdd to see the SPEED increase significantly. (WD velocity Raptor). Since i dun have the budget for that, i stick with WD black.

*will be trying out VISTA ultimate soon.

I've two quad systems at home; one running on Vista and the other running on XP. My perception is that the Vista PC is faster and more 'powerful' than the XP system. Both hardware specs are comparable. Fyi

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    I've upgrade my PC to Quad core Extreme 9400(2.66Ghz) and overclocked to 3.4Ghz using Original heatsink. Works well for me so far for my NX2 and CS3 with XP. You need to change to a performance hdd to see the SPEED increase significantly. (WD velocity Raptor). Since i dun have the budget for that, i stick with WD black.
    Oh, the 10000rpm hdd from Western Digital... i know the price... 36gb $140. 74gb $240. Lastly 150gb $400.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast