Thread: ASK: Which lens - Tamron AF70-300mm Di LD Macro or Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Default ASK: Which lens - Tamron AF70-300mm Di LD Macro or Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Hi all pros out there.

I'm relatively new to purchase of lenses but not really new to photography.

I recently bought my DSLR and had been shooting with the kit lens and would love to add range and wide-angle to my shots. Loves taking landscapes, night photography and looking into macro photography too.

Had been thinking of the two lenses - Tamron AF70-300mm and Canon EF-S 55-250mm. Which is a better purchase as I can only purchase one at the moment? Do give your feedback or even recommend other lenses if any. Thanks.

Default Re: ASK: Which lens - Tamron AF70-300mm Di LD Macro or Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Ooh, did you mention macro, none of them is a macro lens. Your kit lens should be able to take landscape and night photography.

Default Re: ASK: Which lens - Tamron AF70-300mm Di LD Macro or Canon EF-S 55-250mm IS

Eh, a check on the internet, the tamron lens is a telezoom + macro lens.

A flip of switch and the macro range will be from 180mm to 300mm on the lens. http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/70300_di_a017.asp
    So I really cannot decide which to get.

Yup, its true that my kit lens can take pretty good night and landscapes photography but I wanted a bigger range.

if its the wider range you looking for, then i suggest you can go for the 55-250mm. affordable price too.

My friend has the nikon version of the Tamron 70-300... Personally i think the only pros of the lens is that it is a 2 in 1 lens (a zoom lens with a marco function)...
    I have the 55-250 and i think it is quite a not bad lens... I think the quality is better than 70-300....

If u just wan a zoom lens and wan to play macro and not willing to spend much on it... 70-300 is the lens to go for..
    If u focus on zoom, i suggest u get the 55-250....

But take note tat 70-300 has no VR or IS, so u might have problem in stability when u zoom out a lot....
    55-250 has IS which will help u minimise camera shake...