I propped my subject on the table, set my lights, picked my point of view, took a reading and shot away. But was I missing something? I didn't sit there and say, "oh I want this image to portray... blah, blah, blah" or "this pic will make people feel... whatever!" My questions is?

Do you shoot with a particular feeling in mind?

Jerry Uelsmann shot his famous calendar black and white montages with the understanding that people generally have a different mindsets when they view a photograph. Your vision may be completely different than your best friend, and when you are upset about something, your view may be different than when you were happy a few hours before. So why shoot with a particular "feeling" in mind? The prospect art buyer or viewer will not have your same viewpoint, so why bother shooting with your "feelings" in mind, and wait to see what the public's reaction will be. Feed off of that.

The image below could be see as "life beginnings", it could be seen as "evolution", but to some... it could just be a flower in an egg, surrounded by other eggs creating a dynamic sense of form and light.

So how do you shoot? And do you agree that it doesn't matter how you feel before you create. Or do you actually need a feeling in mind to be able to create the image for others to portray as something completely
different than the original approach?
A tangled web I weave.
-Joe Helm
Photography and Custom Backdrops