Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDR photos.

Default HDR photos.

okie i been playing ard with HDR
    some just questions

1)which give better HDR effects 3 photos at different exposure(what i usually do), or shoot a raw and tweak the exposure into 3 photos and compose (never tried yet).

2) i use photoshop automate to merge into HDR. what the difference between 8 bits,16bits and 32bits. I know u can tweak more stuff at 8bits... and less at 32 bits...which do u guys really use? I know 8bits can be use for getting surreal effects.

Default Re: HDR photos.

Quote Originally Posted by wildsoyabean View Post
    okie i been playing ard with HDR
    some just questions

1)which give better HDR effects 3 photos at different exposure(what i usually do), or shoot a raw and tweak the exposure into 3 photos and compose (never tried yet).

2) i use photoshop automate to merge into HDR. what the difference between 8 bits,16bits and 32bits. I know u can tweak more stuff at 8bits... and less at 32 bits...which do u guys really use? I know 8bits can be use for getting surreal effects.
    1) jpg 3 exposures will have less noise all the time, period

and what the hell is a hdr effect?

2) i usually do mine at 8, not necessary that it will get "surreal effects"

You can make surreal effects with 16 bit or 32 bit as well. Depends on how you want your HDR processed.

Just that there are less supported functions post processing at 16 bit and beyond. Apart from that I cannot make out the differences visually beyond 8 bit.

Ryan
    Last edited by giantcanopy; 30th November 2008 at 02:05 PM.

I've been trying to get this "surreal effects" that you speak of, but not been entirely successful.

The concept is this, if you're in 32 bits or 16 bits, you have way much more digital information, however, all these can't be presented on the monitor. If someday it can, your eyes can't really pick up so much information either, you will suffer something similar to binocular disparity, or else your eyes will 'compress' all these information and view it as one. (ie. is sunlight white? we know its a mix of the whole spectrum of visible light).

So having that said, how your HDR pictures turn out is your ability to manipulate these information that you cannot physically see all the time. The merged picture just acts as a grid, but you have to roughly know what details are in the objects themselves, tweak them individually until you're visually satisfied. High bit depth allows you to do a wide range of things without introducing noise or glitches (try pushing the saturation or levels up on a normal photo and a HDR photo, you'll see the diff). Once you're more or less there, you should drop it down to 8 bits, discarding the rest of the information, its a waste of memory anyway.

However knowledge of the concept doesn't make you a good HDR illusionist... why not ask nightmare give you a tutorial, he has excellent HDR pictures.
    Looking for Canon 100mm F2 USM :)

Quote Originally Posted by ombre View Post
    I've been trying to get this "surreal effects" that you speak of, but not been entirely successful.
    if you use photomatix

put all the settings to max

strength 100

saturation 100

white point set to max, same for black point

you should get massive haloing, extreme detail, and uneven lighting that defies the hierarchy of light..

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    if you use photomatix

put all the settings to max

strength 100

saturation 100

white point set to max, same for black point

you should get massive haloing, extreme detail, and uneven lighting that defies the hierarchy of light..
    lol I just tried, the whole picture just looks super overexposed with the details all intact.

Stopped using photomatix after I got CS2 due to the watermark.

Seriously though, care to share how you do your pictures? Especially those sunsets by the river, with a chrome looking sky. =)

Best that you state which type of HDR processing you prefer, some hardcore here condemn surreal HDR to bits.

Quote Originally Posted by wakaowalao View Post
    Best that you state which type of HDR processing you prefer, some hardcore here condemn surreal HDR to bits.
    i agree.

and 16- and 32-bit cant be shown correctly on your comp screen.
    why dun you try merging 3 RAW files with different EV? contains lots more info than your jpeg.
    and hdr doesnt equate to surreal. it can be life-like too. it's hard getting either but easy to fall anywhere in between.
    Tousand Word - A thousand words not read but seen, not seen but felt, not felt but experienced

Not sure if this is the kind of surreal feeling you are talking about.
    This was a random shot. Mainly was to try out HDR on Photomatix.
    For me, it give me a surreal feeling.
    It looks like its a painting, but it is actually a photo if you look close enuff at the details.

My 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by aHxi-o View Post
    and hdr doesnt equate to surreal. it can be life-like too. it's hard getting either but easy to fall anywhere in between.
    I think it is too easy to fall into the former. it is the later that is not easier to do.

Ryan

Seriously though, care to share how you do your pictures? Especially those sunsets by the river, with a chrome looking sky. =)
    which ones?

i don't have many river shots..

i have always wanted to do a hdr guide, but there is really far too much to explain. my starting point is that it should replicate what i visualised as close as possible to what the eye sees, or what the mind perceives. surreality can be present, but to a very limited extent.

i generally abhor most of my photomatix work actually. the only time when i could tolerate it is still the swan shot. i much prefer my blended works.
    Last edited by night86mare; 1st December 2008 at 02:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wakaowalao View Post
    i am one of those "hardcore ones"

and i don't do a blanket condemnation

there have been examples that i have raised where surreal hdr works

but how many people here have bothered to do it with that starting concept in mind, to follow through and execute the concept well

versus doing it haphazardly, getting crappy results and labelling it art as an indestructible defense?

Isn't "crappy" subjective too?

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmerlin View Post
    Isn't "crappy" subjective too?
    oh sure,

everything is subjective, art is subjective

let's pick up a scrap of paper we found on the street and call it art too

the day you say that a person cannot feel that something is crappy, the day art ends

which ones?

i don't have many river shots..

i have always wanted to do a hdr guide, but there is really far too much to explain. my starting point is that it should replicate what i visualised as close as possible to what the eye sees, or what the mind perceives. surreality can be present, but to a very limited extent.

i generally abhor most of my photomatix work actually. the only time when i could tolerate it is still the swan shot. i much prefer my blended works.
    Haha, I can't find the one I liked now, the Swan shot was pretty good.

Do a newbie guide haha, not everyone can catch up.

1) jpg 3 exposures will have less noise all the time, period

and what the hell is a hdr effect?

2) i usually do mine at 8, not necessary that it will get "surreal effects"
    i mean hdr photo...
    wha 8 photos...cos i usually use bracketing and shoot without tripod...8 have to manually tweak exposure...my pic sure move liao...haha

Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    I think it is too easy to fall into the former. it is the later that is not easier to do.

Ryan
    yup i agree...
    so far unable to achieve the non-sureal effects. if they are non-surreal somehow the exposure is screwed in my cs3.

i mean hdr photo...
    wha 8 photos...cos i usually use bracketing and shoot without tripod...8 have to manually tweak exposure...my pic sure move liao...haha
    I think tripod is a must.. Even if you use IS + Burst and re-align... its somehow not worth editing anymore... Its good for learning at the start, but once you get a hang of it, you'll dislike the image quality.

I usually do 5 jpgs... one at -2 and one at +2 with the brackets. Technically its 6 but the 0 bias exposure will overlap. But I usually use someone else's tripod so, its not a everyday thing, when I can do it, I try to make it good.

yup i agree...
    so far unable to achieve the non-sureal effects. if they are non-surreal somehow the exposure is screwed in my cs3.
    haha. my definition of surreal is http://stuckincustoms.com/
    those are really 'wows'
    and lifelike meaning you cant tell it's hdr when in fact it is. 100% portrayal of scene.
    Tousand Word - A thousand words not read but seen, not seen but felt, not felt but experienced

I think tripod is a must.. Even if you use IS + Burst and re-align... its somehow not worth editing anymore... Its good for learning at the start, but once you get a hang of it, you'll dislike the image quality.

I usually do 5 jpgs... one at -2 and one at +2 with the brackets. Technically its 6 but the 0 bias exposure will overlap. But I usually use someone else's tripod so, its not a everyday thing, when I can do it, I try to make it good.
    yup. using a tripod will give you sharp images provided your scene dont move. no falling leaves. no moving people yadayada (but clouds are a different thing). you can remove such using the ghosting removal on photomatix, tho this option usu gives bad quality images, imo.

or unless your dslr can do a super fast fps, and you're using 3 shots to merge, den handheld can be passable.

Quote Originally Posted by aHxi-o View Post
    haha. my definition of surreal is http://stuckincustoms.com/
    those are really 'wows'
    and lifelike meaning you cant tell it's hdr when in fact it is. 100% portrayal of scene.
    the haloing, the softness, the overdone detail

classic photomatix look.. believe me, i can tell it's hdr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast