Thread: Reduced File Size After PP

Default Reduced File Size After PP

Hi all, recently I've been editing my photos (JPEG) using Photoshop CS3. I'm a begginer to PP so I usually just do Auto Levels, Auto Contrast and Auto Colour. Following which, i'd crop the photo if necessary.

Now here's the question; any idea why the file size of the edited photos reduced greatly, even after saving them at quality maximum, i.e. 12? Most of my photos reduced to 1mb from 4+ mb and some even to 400kb!

Also, would this reduction in file size have any adverse effect on printing of photos?

Appreciate your advice pls. Thanks!

Default Re: Reduced File Size After PP

when u crop the pic, u will reduce the overall file size.

check your image pixel size, if you reduce the image size, the doc file size will go smaller, simple as that.

for printing, depends on what print size are you printing, you need to have minimum pixel size, ideally is 300dpi, for example a 4R photo (4"x6"), you need to have 1200pixel x1800 pixel for your image.

btw, if you just do auto level auto color auto contrast everything auto, might as well just let the lab do it for you.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Thanks flipfreak and catchlights.

Now that you guys pointed out, I realize that the reduced file size is solely due to the cropping.

I noticed that the default settings for my CS3 is 300dpi at 4inch(W) x 6 inch(H). I always thought that the 4x6 was merely a ratio. However, when I changed the numbers to say 16 and 24 respectively, the file size increased significantly, to even bigger than the original size.

Ratio wise, it seems to be the same, since 16x24 is just a multiple of 4x6. What then would the difference be between 4x6 and 16x24? And what would the implications be if I crop at 16x24 compared to 4x6?

it shld be the same aspect ratio so u just need to crop to 4x6 is ok liao.

Quote Originally Posted by jonsoon View Post
    What then would the difference be between 4x6 and 16x24? And what would the implications be if I crop at 16x24 compared to 4x6?
    Assuming your dpi setting stays the same, you will be upsampling - increasing image resolution by interpolation.

http://www.outbackphoto.com/workflow/wf_60/essay.html