Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A boat gone away thru the sunset at Labrador park

Default A boat gone away thru the sunset at Labrador park

Hi...I took this pic with my new Nikon D90. I used a P mode with ISO 200 for this... I am a beginner for DSLR. As such I wanna know how well and bad this pic is. Beside P mode, what other mode is suitable for such condition.

I will like feedback on the composition.
    I will like feedback on photography techniques
    I am using P mode becos I only know how to control ISO for now.
    Personally, I like this picture because I think I done quite well on the saturation.

thanks

Last edited by Aryansha; 30th November 2008 at 12:31 AM.

Default Re: A boat gone away thru the sunrise at Labrador park

Quote Originally Posted by Aryansha View Post
    Hi...I took this pic with my new Nikon D90. I used a P mode with ISO 200 for this... I am a beginner for DSLR. As such I wanna know how well and bad this pic is. Beside P mode, what other mode is suitable for such condition. Thanks

Can't see the photo....

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoProZero View Post
    Can't see the photo....
    Its up now...sorry for the delay

Its up now...sorry for the delay
    NPs! Nice colors captured! Personally, wouldnt have preferred the boat, but then again, its individual preference! Seems like u did a great job for the first time! Continue shooting!

But I think u forgt the guidelines for posting a photo in this thread!
    Last edited by PhotoProZero; 30th November 2008 at 12:24 AM.

read the guidelines first...what do u want to be commented on?
    why not try critque urself first..?

Default Re: A boat gone away thru the sunset at Labrador park

horizon tilted.
    everything's too centralized (becos of this, i can't find any point of interest.)
    yes, being in the center is sometimes good, but in this case, the boat doesn't seem appealing to me.
    but i must admit, colors are good.

i tried cropping and did some touching up, does it look better? let me know if you wan it down.

Quote Originally Posted by HTCahHTC View Post
    horizon tilted.
    everything's too centralized (becos of this, i can't find any point of interest.)
    yes, being in the center is sometimes good, but in this case, the boat doesn't seem appealing to me.
    but i must admit, colors are good.

i tried cropping and did some touching up, does it look better? let me know if you wan it down.
    Yup ..i agree with u that it is a bit tilt....yes after the croping, it does look better....thanks for the input..

Tilt was evident. Composition wasn't there (use the Rule of Thirds next time for something like this image).
    The cropped one was better, since it fulfiled a rule of composition.

This shot doesn't really tell much, does it?

its too centralized. learn to focus and recompose your shots.

since ur title is about a boat going away, i will prefer the boat to be near the edge, like the cropped version.
    photography makes one sees things from all angles.

to answer your question, you can try shooting in shutter priority or aperture priority, which is either Av/Tv if you're using canon or S/A if you're using nikon. not sure about other brands.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309544

that'll probably help you learn most of what you need to know to start shooting in other modes.

Hi...I took this pic with my new Nikon D90. I used a P mode with ISO 200 for this... I am a beginner for DSLR. As such I wanna know how well and bad this pic is. Beside P mode, what other mode is suitable for such condition.

Personally, I like this picture because I think I done quite well on the saturation.

thanks

Love the colour...but like what you mentioned, composition not as good as subject too center
    Olympus EP3, OMD-EM5, 14-42mm, 12-50mm, 9-18mm, 14-150mm

Are you shooting the sky, the sea, or the boat?

Basically, your composition is ****, as it requires people to have a second thoughts on what you are actually shooting at.

First thing anyone see will be the sky. If you want people to focus on the boat instead, you will need to lower your angle so that the shadow is being casted directly to you from the sky.

Too much highlights for a low key photo. Reduce the amount of sky will improve this image.

3/10

Love the colour...but like what you mentioned, composition not as good as subject too center
    Shifting your subject to the 2/3 rule not make instant art. Center composition is fine if you do it right.
    Last edited by kritikosN1; 5th December 2008 at 08:53 PM.

1) horizon tilt, the sea is flowing out on the right
    2) bad error of centred subject
    3) the contrast here is way too overdone
    4) how do you do well on saturation? it is overdone, making your water look dead in comparison

htcahhtc has done a pretty good job of improving the picture, i must say. even then i do not like it, the amount of detail on the boat is minimal, it would look better less as a shadow.
    Last edited by night86mare; 8th December 2008 at 09:29 AM.

I love the colours in the sky. Btw, you can configure your D90 to display the grid in your viewfinder as a reference, so your horizons wouldn't be tilted.

Generally your shot r well capture and it is quite flexible for adjustment during post production or so call photoshop adjustment later

What I did was;
    1. Make sure the horizon is straighten
    2. The main subject(The Boat) is not place in center. And the way I do it because the boat is moving forward, so u should have more space in front, refereed to night86mare said: "error of centred subject"
    3. Brighten the surface of the sea water so the water will not "look dead" as what night86mare said.

hope it helps!
    F3,F4,D70s,D3,1424,1735,2035,2470,2870,3570,80200, 80400,28PC, 351.4,Z352,501.2,Z851.4,MIR500

Quote Originally Posted by BeeHive View Post
    3. Brighten the surface of the sea water so the water will not "look dead" as what night86mare said.

hope it helps!
    That will depends on if he want a high key or a low key photo. In your example of the pped photo, the photo is slightly highlight bias.

Quote Originally Posted by kritikosN1 View Post
    That will depends on if he want a high key or a low key photo. In your example of the pped photo, the photo is slightly highlight bias.
    Ermm.... what will u suggest to make the sea not "look dead"?
    F3,F4,D70s,D3,1424,1735,2035,2470,2870,3570,80200, 80400,28PC, 351.4,Z352,501.2,Z851.4,MIR500

i think after shifting the subject to the left, it look nicer.
    but the brightness i think can use back the original one.
    it give u the feel of the boat under the setting sun.
    warm and retiring.
    hope my five cent worth helps.

Hi,

I prefer BeeHive's crop. When there are moving subjects, it is usually, not always good to have them to looked as moving into the picture, rather than out of the picture. Nice sky and contrast.

Thought it is Okay to keep the see original but push up the brightness/ fill light into the main boat to reveal a little more detail. D-Light function can help. Try it.

Cheers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast