Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Everyone want to be a Professional but......

Default Everyone want to be a Professional but......

Dear All,

just some things i wanna share with you all, be it a Professional or serious amateur and also hobbiest.

I'm from KL, i've notice lately when DSLR became within an affordable reach for these group, many thought that by owning these cameras you are branding yourself as "Professional". this trend also became very seriously visible during my recent trip to some countries.

And nowadays even if you have the top of the range flim base slr like F5 or EOS 1v, you are been look down by the DSLR newbies whom might own D100, 10D, etc whom think their DSLR are much superior than the SLR's.

I'm not sure what is point here.......basicly what i want to stress out is not matter what camera you use, be it a Point and Shoot, Range finder, SLR, DSLR we are all a family. Professional is not what type of camera we use, but what you can produce, thats important.

And one more thing is these DSLR newbie by try to cover the cost of hobby they would try to become a wedding photographer, this is a good way to recover your investment, but.......

Wedding Photographer- this is a very important role, because you just can't skrew up as this is like once in a lifetime for the couples.
    Last edited by insport; 6th September 2003 at 11:47 PM.

hello,

I think, therefore I am.

food for thought.
    You'll Never Walk Alone! - i have the best job in the world!

So what the point are you making?

Those who own DSLR cannot look down on other?

One thing about wedding photography, let the results speaks for itself.
    Different couple like different style, have different budget and now they have MORE choices.

If you do a search here on the word 'wedding', you will find that some couples don't even set aside a budget to employ a experience photographer

They ask friends to shoot, and the friend might end up having his photography reputation ruined just because expectation is not clearly commuincated between couple and photographer.

Wedding photographer BEWARE!

I don't know what's so special about being a professional photographer. We all are professionals of something, mostly in our work. Many pros I have seen are quite humble. It's natrual, because anything as a profession is not that fancy. Photography is a form of art. The true excellence speaks with images and knowledge, not wild attitude. Unfortunately some newbies miss the point. I have seen some amateurs try hard to make others believe they are pros. Talk big and act funny. Look down others who own inferior equipment. What for? Only child or cowboy acts like that.

Deregistered

I may be using a webcam + torchlight, but I have my own style of shooting at weddings/events, and I don't lookdown on those using sketch paper and 2B pencils or look up to those using laser printer and P4 3Ghz machines.

I just want to shoot pictures for rememberance, that's all there is to this hobby.

You think too much. There are some who emphasize on equipment but not all. Those are the kids that want to show off only, but not all.

just ignore them, concentrate on your own results

how true, just so happens that there are all kinds of people out there. thankfully we get to chose who we want to be as friends.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    You think too much. There are some who emphasize on equipment but not all. Those are the kids that want to show off only, but not all.
    Yupz

I may be using a webcam + torchlight....

And got so nice pix too! Wah!

aiya....singapore is like that 1.

appearance counts. singaporean very materalistic 1.

I may be using a webcam + torchlight, but I have my own style of shooting at weddings/events, and I don't lookdown on those using sketch paper and 2B pencils or look up to those using laser printer and P4 3Ghz machines.

I just want to shoot pictures for rememberance, that's all there is to this hobby.

i'm still using my old P3 800Mhz...

Deregistered

...and I use my eyes...

Quote Originally Posted by pisces25

heh, not all lah... say until like that...

Quote Originally Posted by insport
    Dear All,
    And one more thing is these DSLR newbie by try to cover the cost of hobby they would try to become a wedding photographer, this is a good way to recover your investment, but.......

Wedding Photographer- this is a very important role, because you just can't skrew up as this is like once in a lifetime for the couples.

Firstly, DO NOT ASSUME, that everyone take up the role of a wedding photographer As a way to recover investment.

I have a very good ex-classmate who is getting married soon, he is on a tight budget (judging from the hotel he booked his dinner..etc)

His "chief" photographer for his wedding is actually one of his friend in a FILM PnS camera.

So he invited me to help out.

I know that even if I refuse, he will not get another one, and will depend on the PnS shooter, so I thought "Well what the heck, you get to help him and expose yourself to something different"

I even offered to pull in another CSer (a friend of mine) as a backup to cover more angle.

Both of us will not be charging a cent for it, besides the lunch and dinner provided and since we are shooting digital, there is no film cost to speak.

The results will be burnt in a CD-RW and passed to him to decide what he wants to develop and he will bear the developing cost.

I do admit there are some photogs out there who thinks having expensive equipment to hang around their neck means pro, but it is not right to make such sweeping statement of everyone in CS.

And yet, someone even border on the extent of classifying the whole of singapore as materalistic.

I do hope that the thread starter know that there are many kinds of human being in the world, regardless of nationality and such, the way they behave is sometimes due to the way they are brought up.

There are some rich kids who are snobbish but there are also 'well brought up' ones who are humble and often do charity work.

The issue of "Compostion and skill is more important than equipment" has been discussed, posted, started and ended countless of times in Clubsnap though I am only barely a few months active on this forum.

It's like saying having a expensive pen does not make you a writer.

I do hope these generic statements like "XXXX people are so and so" and "All rich kids are XXXXXX", "I think photography is such and such...etc" be refrained in the forum.

Just shoot and be happy.
    Last edited by Winston; 6th September 2003 at 11:33 PM.

hmm..

i think what he's trying to mean is...

if you're not pro don't act like one (pro meaning you shoot photography for a living .. not "pro" at photography..)

it's not the equipment, it's the man behind the camera that counts. (okay okay, i must admit that equipment does play a part in capturing the shot)

i've seen people with 10D and even 1D and 1Ds who have all the L lenses in their arsenal (yes even the highly dreamt of 70-200 2.8 IS L) but the stuff they produce are just beyond f***ed. and i really mean f***ed coz i'd look at their photos and i'll go "WTF this guy owns an L lens + 1Ds, why don't he just donate it to me instead" coz they have the most screwed up compositions, screwed up colours, and i have no idea what else is screwed.

but you can't help it, material chase is like that. this doesn't apply to singapore or hk or wherever alone.. in fact whatever i'm saying is really from my observations on dpreview.. the americans.

but no offense to anyone, this is just what i think. i'll respect anyone who can produce "real actual photographs". but i don't deny that i myself might join in the material chase at anytime.

but no, it doesn't mean that if you're using an eos300 with kit lens while i'm using a 1Ds with L lens means i'll look down on you. it's just not my style.

i think maybe people should just care more about photography (read : mind your own business) than care more about showing off. coz it's more of the person that determines the beauty of the pic and not the camera.

oops i'm ranting off. sorry dudes.

just my 2 cents, have a very nice day

Quote Originally Posted by Winston

I do admit there are some photogs out there who thinks having expensive equipment to hang around their neck means pro, but it is not right to make such sweeping statement of everyone in CS.

And yet, someone even border on the extent of classifying the whole of singapore as materalistic.

I do hope that the thread starter know that there are many kinds of human being in the world, regardless of nationality and such, the way they behave is sometimes due to the way they are brought up.
    i think he really meant "a group of people doing this" and "the trend is becoming visible in singapore and HK" and he's not really targetting a country. it's just a "trend".

Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    hmm..
    (read : mind your own business)

Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    i think he really meant "a group of people doing this" and "the trend is becoming visible in singapore and HK" and he's not really targetting a country. it's just a "trend".
    I was refering to the comments below....

Actually nowadays I walk around with my Olympus mju II and Pentax 928, both P&S film cameras. So I'm not a pro. I'm an artistic street photographer. *sniff*

Deregistered

well... in the end, the photos, no matter how "bad" they are, they will satisfy the owner. just as long as my photos manage to remind me of what i've seen on a certain day, i'm very glad already. it would be a bonus IF i can make the photos appealing to others though...

shoot and be happy.

My apologies to all, it was never my intention to single out a country. I have retract my earlier statement.

I hope that i've made a point in this thread. We all can become friends. never look down on what people have

Quote Originally Posted by Winston
    I was refering to the comments below....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast