Thread: Illegal to post people's photos?

Default Illegal to post people's photos?

Is it illegal, as someone had commented in another forum, to hotlink and post someone's photo (say from facebook or friendster), onto a forum, without the other party's permission?

Default Re: Illegal to post people's photos?

not if it is a public site, i don't think there is going to be much of a case there

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Is it illegal, as someone had commented in another forum, to hotlink and post someone's photo (say from facebook or friendster), onto a forum, without the other party's permission?
    Not exactly illegal, but more on ethical sense.

You don't want your photos to be leached either rite? Either credit the person and link back or ask for permission first.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

It may depend on where you are and where the deed is committed (i.e. in which countries the respective servers are located). In some jurisdictions, it very likely is illegal.

vince123123
    Guests

The issue of hotlinking as opposed to direct reproduction is a very difficult question legally and the last time I looked at this topic, there isn't even settled cases and those which decided on that issue were heavily criticised. Admittedly that was in 2001, so if anyone is feeling particularly in a research mood, perhaps they can share their findings with us

Always post a link back to the original photo or the author's site.

I would like to think that the very least one can do is to credit the person who took the pics.
    D3s / D3x / 18-55 f3.5 - 5.6 / 55-200 f3.5-5.6 / 50 f1.8