Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to deal with people who burns film on your camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Noir
    Film, Sound and Video right? Just tell them your stills camera ain't a motion picture camera, can't do 24 frames per second. Try an Arriflex or Panaflex camera instead. :P They will understand.

Hahahah... those r a little too much for them to handle.. start with a bolex.... if you can do a 8mm film reel change in under 1 minute in changing bag, you are there......

Me from FSV oso... and I'm sad that my very juniors are so thoughtless.....

Well, you have the right to your camera so if you really have to lend them, just let them know that they have to bear all cost for using it inc. film purchase, development....

My friends know about this hobby of mine and the cost of films and processing. They won't ask to play around with. The most they'll just ask to have a look. Otherwise, if overboard, i'll just fiack them. Since we are friends, they will understand.

Hi

i pity u....with frens like these, who needs enemies? :P

anyway your best recourse is to tell them honestly why u do not want to lend them the camera. if they don't understand and accuse u of being stingy etc... well then i guess it's time to start looking for new buddies

personally, i wun hesitate to lend out my equipment if there's a genuine need (one even took it overseas), but only to pple i know and trust. just be wise about it - ur friends' attitudes suggest they are simply not deserving of ur generousity.
    Last edited by Red Dawn; 6th September 2003 at 01:06 PM.
    David Teo
    View my work and blog at http://www.5stonesphoto.com/blog

Quote Originally Posted by reno77
    Tell them you have no extra film and you need to make it last for the whole day. If they want to test your camera, they can buy their own film and use.

PS: Were the pics your friends took better than the ones you took ?
    Woah.
    So many replies....

I don't mind them taking some shots on my camera, but sometimes, they are rather reluctant to return it to me when I ask for it. From what I see, they handle my equipment rather well though, so it's ok.

IMO (and one of my friends agreed with me), I would say quite a bit of the bad shots (abeit not all) that my friends took were worse than mine. For those that attended the last SEED newbie table (and saw my shots), quite a bit of the bad shots were taken by my friends.

Except for the last shooting session, the rest of the shoot costs were borne by me. I even had to spend money developing shots for the people in my unit (and I was 'paiseh' to collect like 1/2 bucks from every person). That's why I am intending to get a film scanner and pass them the digital copies instead.

And there were times when I used slides...

I guess that they just want to feel the 'shiokness' of the shutter snapping away, so I'll note down the point about the "no-roll shooting" part.

Green leaf, I like your idea...
    Noir, my unit does have a Arriflex camera with lots of film...

kongg, the problem is that they are not that willing/unable to finanically get a 'decent' camera,so as to speak, and some of them have SLRs (abeit on the lower end ones.) One of them has a F65. But one strange thing is that if they are that passionate about photography, why don't they bring their own setup along and shoot along with me?

And I could still remember this guy (who has the F65) in my unit who almost fainted at seeing the D100... He even asked my mentor "Sir, could I help you carry your D100?" When my mentor asked why, he said "Because it's a D100!"

He should come to CS more often, and see the 'heavyweight' shooters. I think he'll faint on the spot.

patch17 > They didn't burn my whole roll, as I had asked for my camera back. If not, they would have done so.

lavenderlilz > If I don't bring my camera when they are around, I would have missed on a lot of shooting opportunities.. But anyway, I have some shooting kakis in my unit, so I'll normally tag along with them.

But I think (and hopefully this is the case) that they don't really mean to burn my film intentionally. Perhaps they are too excited at covering the event that they forgot that there's a limit to a 36-exposure roll of film....

Anyway, thanks a lot people!
    I think I know what to do.
    Last edited by SNAG; 6th September 2003 at 07:01 PM.

Deregistered

SNAG, here's one thing you should -
    Learn from your ex-schoolmate who'se now in OCS. Stand firm. ...or, check your PM too.

Aiyah, burn film lor.

When I was still in the army I was the unit photog, the Log officer always bang balls whenever I drop off my development charges.

"Sir, sir... here's my invoice. Very ex leh! Dun ask RSM to make me take so many pictures hor! I think $200+ very ex liao leh!"

The agony on his face always make me smile - something to laugh about behind his back.

Quote Originally Posted by VincentLin
    Aiyah, burn film lor.

When I was still in the army I was the unit photog, the Log officer always bang balls whenever I drop off my development charges.

"Sir, sir... here's my invoice. Very ex leh! Dun ask RSM to make me take so many pictures hor! I think $200+ very ex liao leh!"

The agony on his face always make me smile - something to laugh about behind his back.
    Haha..
    You don't know what goes behind the reimbursement and all that stuff, it's not a easy job to manage unit budget well... The reimbursement paperwork is quite a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by SNAG
    Haha..
    You don't know what goes behind the reimbursement and all that stuff, it's not a easy job to manage unit budget well... The reimbursement paperwork is quite a lot.
    Oh? I'm the unit finance clerk, and yes, I do know about the paperwork.

Don't be too hasty to jump.

Haha...
    I am too!

For my unit, it's a hassle even trying to get the CO/AO to get into FMIS. They dread me when I knock into their office with the GEPI forms and AORs.

I'm rather new to this as well, so for me, I am still rather swamped with all the paperwork. Still clearing the mess my upperstudy left.

Sorry if I sounded offensive in my previous post, no hard feelings?
    Last edited by SNAG; 7th September 2003 at 11:30 PM.

Aiyah, no problem.

That was then... now I'm reservist liao.

Quote Originally Posted by SNAG
    Haha...
    I am too!

For my unit, it's a hassle even trying to get the CO/AO to get into FMIS. They dread me when I knock into their office with the GEPI forms and AORs.

I'm rather new to this as well, so for me, I am still rather swamped with all the paperwork. Still clearing the mess my upperstudy left.

Sorry if I sounded offensive in my previous post, no hard feelings?

Ha 'FMIS'.

Still remembered all the "forced" training to attend to learn SMIS, EMMIS..etc

Most of the class, including the SSG and WO, fell asleep.
    Lucky it kicked start late and I was about to leave army and so I hand overed the task.

I was also very blur about the operation and never really pay attention during class.

Too used to the old system, 'SMS'

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12