Thread: Cleaning view finder

Default Cleaning view finder

I saw like a thick dust on my view finder. Im using 400D. Any way to clean the dust DIY? Any charges if I send it for cleaning at NSC. Cam still under extended warranty. Pls advise...

Default Re: Cleaning view finder

Err... You're using a Canon 400D (400D) I presume? And you wish to send it to Nikon Service Center (NSC) for cleaning?

yes, Im using Canon 400D. Is there a way to clean the view finder DIY?

Yes, if there is no way to clean DIY, will there be charges for the cleaning if my cam is still under extended warranty?

Thanks.

Blow first, then just use a micro-fiber cloth, twist up one end and start wiping. Change corners of MF cloth as you get into other corners. I'm assuming you're referring to the external viewfinder lense?

If you do want to send it in, I doubt if Nikon will be willing to service a Canon camera for you.

It seems that the dust is inside the view finder when i through it. I tried using a blower and also a cleaning brush, but it doesnt work.

When i took some shots, the thick dust is not seen. So I guess Im pretty sure that its not due to the lense tat got the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by irwvaz View Post
    It seems that the dust is inside the view finder when i through it. I tried using a blower and also a cleaning brush, but it doesnt work.

When i took some shots, the thick dust is not seen. So I guess Im pretty sure that its not due to the lense tat got the dust.
    The dust will never be seen in your pics as it is in the view finder....

There will be charges if you send to service center for cleaning even though it is under extended warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by irwvaz View Post
    If it is too disturbing for you then send for CSC (not NSC ). I also had some dust specks in the VF, after a while they were gone again. Since neither your camera nor your lens are airtight you'll have to accept the presence of dust. But as long as the dust is not on the sensor or the rear element of the lens it won't affect the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by Blur Shadow View Post
    Err... You're using a Canon 400D (400D) I presume? And you wish to send it to Nikon Service Center (NSC) for cleaning?
    Dude... Then be sure to send it to the Canon Service Center at Harborfront.

It doesn't affect your picture quality, and will be a recurring problem even after you get it cleaned. But hey, if it really bothers you, send you camera for general servicing. That should clear it up. I believe its free if your camera is still under warranty.

I believe its free if your camera is still under warranty.
    Don't mislead..... never be free unless u proof it is manufacturing defect

I believe general servicing and maintenance is free, under warranty. And I do believe that cleaning the dust in the viewfinder is part of that maintenance. Or am I wrong?

Thanks for all the advises bros...Will check with CSC.

I believe general servicing and maintenance is free, under warranty. And I do believe that cleaning the dust in the viewfinder is part of that maintenance. Or am I wrong?
    Cleaning dust anywhere, would never be free..
    Meow!

Hmm... Ok... Looks like it's gonna be a costly affair then. Can still try and press your luck though!

Just send it in to CSC .. Inc of GST the charges is only around 25 or less..

No point DIY.. The focusing screen can be easily scratched.. Be careful..

Its a point to learn to always change lenses slowly and never expose the opened lens mount on the camera too long dust is everywhere..
    Regards

Thanks again bros....

Quote Originally Posted by metals99 View Post
    Just send it in to CSC .. Inc of GST the charges is only around 25 or less..

No point DIY.. The focusing screen can be easily scratched.. Be careful..

Its a point to learn to always change lenses slowly and never expose the opened lens mount on the camera too long dust is everywhere..
    Where is the focusing screen located on the camera? How much to replace if the focusing screen is scratched?

The focusing screen is located inside the camera's mirror box, the matte piece of plastic along the light path to the viewfinder. So it's not directly exposed, unless you start sticking things into your camera. Never try to touch it with your fingers (or even a cleaning cloth, for that matter) because it's an extremely delicate piece of equipment and is easily stained and scratched. If you want to clean it, use only a blower. If it doesn't work, leave it alone (it won't kill) or let the pros do it for you.

If it's scratched or stained, go the service centre and get it changed there. It shouldn't cost much more than $20 odd dollars.