Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Young sucide trends...

Default Re: Young sucide trends...

sometimes when their friends and family are not sensitive enough, they are never going to find out that their child have sucide thoughts in mind.
    if the parents cared enough to read between the lines of the comments or words written by their child, a tragedy would never have occur.
    but sometimes the tell tale signs are very hard to detect.

life can be full of sh*t sometimes, so it either they suck it up and go through with it or perhaps they chose the easy way out.
    to walk down to that sucide path, is not an easy decision, either the person needs lots of guts or he/she have lost all sense of logic, so is all about one's willpower.

those who are being left behind, have years of regret to bear, but when they lose their close ones, is all but too late for anything.
    Last edited by Simon_84; 28th November 2008 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nisa View Post
    That's the thing. To most teens, their lives are the school and their peers. They need not worry about alot of other things, and that's why it's not trivial or silly to them. To some extend, "forcing" them into having to make such decision would result in them thinking that "they do not matter. Since they do not matter, their presence do not matter. So even if they do die, it would not matter"

That is why there is a need to expose them to other local and international society problems. Encourage teens to reach out to others, expand their society circles and letting them know they do matter, in every little ways. They are able to make a choice (even with the limited choices available) and their opinons do matter.

People do leave their marks behind, no matter what. Death is not an easy choice to make, or fate to accept.
    i see what you mean. teenagers can be at a very fragile time of their life. i don't know though, i have had so many friends who've been through a lot, but they survive.

i have a friend who has kidney disease since young. if he chose to give up, if he chose to lead a life of decadence, i don't think anyone would have the heart to judge him about it. but he lives life more positively than anyone else i know.

i also acknowledge that people are different. not everyone has the same breaking point, not everyone has the same level of maturity at that age. my question is - do you think these teens, had they undergone a more stringent (for want of a better word) and less pampered life.. would they make that choice so easily?

these days, i find that most parents tend to mollycoddle, it seems to be a global trend. love is love, but when it reaches the standards of 溺爱, then you only mould the kid into something so much more fragile.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    i see what you mean. teenagers can be at a very fragile time of their life. i don't know though, i have had so many friends who've been through a lot, but they survive.

i have a friend who has kidney disease since young. if he chose to give up, if he chose to lead a life of decadence, i don't think anyone would have the heart to judge him about it. but he lives life more positively than anyone else i know.

i also acknowledge that people are different. not everyone has the same breaking point, not everyone has the same level of maturity at that age. my question is - do you think these teens, had they undergone a more stringent (for want of a better word) and less pampered life.. would they make that choice so easily?

these days, i find that most parents tend to mollycoddle, it seems to be a global trend. love is love, but when it reaches the standards of 溺爱, then you only mould the kid into something so much more fragile.
    I know teens and adults, esp those who had done humanitarian and/or volunteer work or survived a bad patch in life, are stronger when it comes to resisting the choice of sucide, and tend to be more positive. Because they are able to see how lucky they are, when compared to those they are helping.

There is also a need to stress on choices they have in life. They need to know the consequences of the choices they have. Life doesn't have a reset button, like a game they play. And once they used that choice, it's the end of everything bad and Good.

It is great to spoil a child (giving a child unconditional love is my ideal spoiling of a child), but guardians must be mindful that children should be involved in a larger social scale than just school and the small circle of friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Teegongkia View Post
    Any idea on how he die?
    auto-erotica asphyxiation
    chezburgr i can haz?

When going on holidays with kids, don't just bring them to disneyland and visit all the nice things. Bring them to 3rd world countries to witness how other children live, and they will learn to slowly appreciate what they have now, instead of complaining and always wanting more. This will educate them a whole lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    When going on holidays with kids, don't just bring them to disneyland and visit all the nice things. Bring them to 3rd world countries to witness how other children live, and they will learn to slowly appreciate what they have now, instead of complaining and always wanting more. This will educate them a whole lot better.
    Its always easy to see from the sidewalk and then forget about it a week or so later.

The images may haunt the kids for some time, but when they're back at home in front of their TV sets showing their favourite barney programmes, honestly, who would remember.

Maybe, a small minority will and perhaps these are the very ones who would then proceed to be the humanitarians of society.

Quote Originally Posted by snowspeeder View Post
    bring them to 3rd world countries is good , but i think do CIP at those countries will be better so that they can have a taste of life with those poor children there (:

Quote Originally Posted by g-khoo View Post
    Its always easy to see from the sidewalk and then forget about it a week or so later.

The images may haunt the kids for some time, but when they're back at home in front of their TV sets showing their favourite barney programmes, honestly, who would remember.

Maybe, a small minority will and perhaps these are the very ones who would then proceed to be the humanitarians of society.

There is therefore a need for constant reminder.
    And alot of charities have events of such happening regularly.

No body cares!
    if a person, the world will still go on. Tomorrow we still will go to work, and live our lives.
    There is no one who would stop all these just because u die.
    Get it!

Death is a way just to get out of this weird and cruel world.

Hi Nisa,

People DO care ... You care ... I am quite shure that there are MANY out there that care as much as you do.

Reading this thread I feel the everyone that has contributed to it cares.

Not everyone might put it in ways that become instantly understandable, but I don't feel that I have read an input by anyone that I would think is in any way cold about the subject.

I am hoping, (giving the possibility of numbers) that if someone out there is contemplating ending their life and is reading this thread, they will have second thoughts and chose to remain with us.

Cheers

I Care !
    Time, is an effortless construction :)

nobody live a few years just to end their life in an unceremonious way, there's always a long slippery road to that end.

i see some stereotyping in some posts, that is rather unhelpful to put it mildly. it would go further isolating those in need of care & support. stereotyping further re-enforces the negative perception of people undergoing an unpleasant phase in life, putting the blame onto them, can add to their misery.

most who play the blame game (the easy way out? ) either are not close to that person, does not have the capacity to empathise or understand, shuns any form of unpleasantries (very common), or simply at 1's end on how to help elevate that suffering. its always easier to put the blame on others- for being selfish & claim the moral high ground at the same time.

some have pointed out such people as being selfish, but that depends on the person's stage in life. the TS mention the young, by that mostly means school going age up to 18. not an adult with a kid/s in tow. while i do not discount some do have a defect in charactor, those who chose to end their life, did it due to "push factor/s".

given that most contemplating on ending their lives did not do it in a whim. certainly not with a smile on their face.

making a whole sale statement like "suicide is the easy way out" isn't really fair to the bloke who is contemplating suicide. the situations that he or she is in might be different to Tom, Dick or Harry's and one can't assume that both are on equal footing in terms of psychological trauma caused and experienced by the individual.

it is sad to know that suicide is one of the ways out. it is also sad to know that people do not have enough faith in themselves (in terms of psychological strength) and not having enough faith in the health care system (ie, talking to people like myself. or a psychiatrist.)

Viktor Frankl once quoted Nietzsche in his book (Man's Search For Meaning. good book to read if you ask me) by saying that he who has a why to live can bear with almost any how. he defines the search for meaning (aka the why) as a perspective finding experience, in which it could be found in any possible range/continuum of human emotions and experience (even at the hands of the Nazis in the concentration camps).

long of the short of it is, there is a plethora of possible explanations for choosing what one does with his or her own live. to simply say "suicide is the cowards way out/easy way out/etc" is to water down or to actively ignore the possible trigger points in which the individual was pushed to commit suicide.

fyi, female adolescents have higher attempted suicide rates than males, but less successful suicide rates than males. does that mean they're taking the easy way out? I don't know... but research has suggested that this may be a cry for help/attention. since people react/behave differently under different situations of duress, it is only fair to say that that hypothesis (crying for help/attention) is highly plausible.
    chicken fight!

there can be two sides.

as much courage as it takes to live on, for someone who is so severely crippled with depression, it might take even more courage to end your own life.

i guess to sum it up, you can never comprehend exactly how another person is feeling, unless you're them.

but in any case, i think the stigma tied with mental illness is making it difficult for some people to go forward to seek help.

again, 2 cents (:

Eh... haha, actually i oso thought abt it before, but quickly chuck that thought aside.... Life is no doubt hard, and is by no means easy. Nobody is born with a smooth sailing life. At certain points in life, everyone is sure to suffer setbacks.

And if thats the case, why not strive harder, bear with it for a couple of years/months/weeks/days and enjoy your peaceful life aft you have gotten over that major/minor setback?

After all, since you are alrd in this world, why not give it a try? A try to strive for a better life!

Maybe MOE shld include case studies in their pastoral care/ civics & moral or whateva you call it lessons.

Juz look at the singaporean who was killed in india by those terrorist, she was striving, striving for a wonderful married life with her husband, they even plan to have a baby soon, but unfortunately she was deprived of the chance to even strive for that better life, so do treasure your life, for there are many others who wasn't even given the chance to do so... And you happen to be one of the lucky ones.

Quote Originally Posted by evo-lution View Post
    Eh... haha, actually i oso thought abt it before, but quickly chuck that thought aside.... Life is no doubt hard, and is by no means easy. Nobody is born with a smooth sailing life. At certain points in life, everyone is sure to suffer setbacks.

And if thats the case, why not strive harder, bear with it for a couple of years/months/weeks/days and enjoy your peaceful life aft you have gotten over that major/minor setback?

After all, since you are alrd in this world, why not give it a try? A try to strive for a better life!

Maybe MOE shld include case studies in their pastoral care/ civics & moral or whateva you call it lessons.

Juz look at the singaporean who was killed in india by those terrorist, she was striving, striving for a wonderful married life with her husband, they even plan to have a baby soon, but unfortunately she was deprived of the chance to even strive for that better life, so do treasure your life, for there are many others who wasn't even given the chance to do so... And you happen to be one of the lucky ones.
    the question another might ask is "why her? and not me?"

the question another might ask is "why her? and not me?"
    Well you wldn't wanna be her if you saw the news coverage on her funeral featured in the news today.... Seeing how her family was so devastated, my heart really goes out to them and i believe many other singaporeans share the same thought too....

Well you wldn't wanna be her if you saw the news coverage on her funeral featured in the news today.... Seeing how her family was so devastated, my heart really goes out to them and i believe many other singaporeans share the same thought too....
    Nay don't want to be her.... too famous.

The thing is, some ppl will think why she die when her future seemed so bright and wonderful and everything, why do they still live when there seemed to be nothing to live for. And some might even think their families would be better off if they are no longer in this world.

Anyway there is just so many what if and why...

Nay don't want to be her.... too famous.

The thing is, some ppl will think why she die when her future seemed so bright and wonderful and everything, why do they still live when there seemed to be nothing to live for. And some might even think their families would be better off if they are no longer in this world.

Anyway there is just so many what if and why...
    Life goes on i guess.....

i think u misunderstood the meaning of being suicidal & a hostage. its little wonder there's a negative stigma to suicide & those with such thoughts.
    Last edited by sORe-EyEz; 4th December 2008 at 11:50 PM.

Anyone would be if someone they love died.

Death over CCA: Every child's voice should be heard

I AM writing in response to the article, 'Boy leapt to his death over CCA' (Nov 27).
    I was appalled and deeply saddened by his actions. Behind his cheerful disposition, no one had any inkling of the turmoil in his mind.

It was a senseless act that led to a loss of life over such a trivial issue as co-curricular activities (CCA). All he wanted was to pursue his interest and for his wish to be respected. He had said 'he had lost inspiration to run and insisted on the switch'. Although this was what was said, there could have been other underlying reasons.

But all that should have mattered was respecting his wish and giving him the necessary support. Every child has a voice that should be heard and his wishes should be respected. I cannot imagine any troubled child wanting to speak to a stranger over the phone about his problems, when those close to him fail to understand his problems.

I hope no other child will resort to such drastic measures. Instead of waiting for troubled children to seek help, help should be sent to them via regular talks at schools by organisations such as the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports.

Samuel Wittberger

source : - http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BFor...ry_310507.html

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast