Thread: Short Carbon Fiber Tripods

Default Short Carbon Fiber Tripods

Hi, i know carbon fiber tripods have been discussed extensively on the forum, and various alternatives have been mentioned, including Gitzo's 1541T, Manfrotto 190CXPro3, Feisol 344X and the Benro series...

Some of these end up around 55-60cm long when folded up, which is slightly longer than I had hoped.

Are there any carbon fiber tripods out there around the $400 range which would be less than 50cm when folded up? maybe a backward folding one?

Thanks!

Default Re: Short Carbon Fiber Tripods

I think Benro's travel angel series fits your criteria...Although I personally do not recommend Benro tripods.

i was hoping not to go with Benro.. i have heard mixed reviews on the quality of the legs...
    I have also considered Feisol, but if i'm going to purchase something for that price, i should probably just as well go with Manfrotto??

Quote Originally Posted by insigma View Post
    i was hoping not to go with Benro.. i have heard mixed reviews on the quality of the legs...
    I have also considered Feisol, but if i'm going to purchase something for that price, i should probably just as well go with Manfrotto??
    But I don't think Manfrotto has anything in that size range? I've been looking too.
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

Can consider Slik Pro-613CF, although it cannot fold backward but it is definately shorter than 50cm

A friend of mine just told me to look at the Slik Pro series... folds up quite small..

argh! so many choices!!!

FYI, my setup is a Canon 400D and the heaviest lens i have at the moment is a 24-105 f/4.. although I will be upgrading to 5D MK2 in a couple of months time and plan to get one of the 70-200 IS USMs...

How about the 190CXPRO4? It's exactly 50cm when folded. Of cos, excluding the head.

Blog Entries

first decide what you want to use the tripod for and what equipment are you going to use with it.

i decided to get a tripod for travel

so i decided on the equipment that i would bring when i travel (this will get the max. load that your tripod need to meet)
    then i thin about what kind of angles i like to shoot (this will get the max/min height)
    then how do i carry my gear (this will dictate the size and weight)

so think for yourself and find out what you really need (need is different from want)
    after you narrow down the tripods, go to the shops with your intended equipment and try them all out
    think about the price as well
    i ended up buying a gitzo 1541T
    Last edited by ortega; 27th November 2008 at 03:56 PM.