Thread: Canon Travel lens

Default Canon Travel lens

Hi Pros,

Need some advise on the choice of lens. I'm planning to get a travel lens for my 450D. After some research and consideration, i decided to choose between these 2 option:

1- Canon EF-S 18-200mm F3.5-5.6 IS
    2- Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM

which will be better choice for my camera?? and not sure if option 2 suits my camera??

Thanks much

Default Re: Canon Travel lens

u will be severely limited with just one telezoom at 70-200m!

definately 18-200 or a 2 lens option (kit + 70-200 f4 is)
    f4 is lighter than 2.8 and cheaper if both have IS

Just to clarify..i do have my 18-55mm kit lens..

Quote Originally Posted by cchrism View Post
    Hi Pros,

Need some advise on the choice of lens. I'm planning to get a travel lens for my 450D. After some research and consideration, i decided to choose between these 2 option:

which will be better choice for my camera?? and not sure if option 2 suits my camera??

Thanks much
    This is not about which lens would be a better choice for your camera. Its about what suits your requirements. Did you know that the 2 choices are worlds apart? Have you assessed your needs? Examined the photos you take?

If its just for general photography, then the 18-200 would be the choice. Whichever the case, you have to educate yourself on the needs.

18-200mm seems to be a more logical choice.
    Give u more options for general photography.

I personally happy with 24-105, but i guess 18-200mm give u an extra a few metres to run away after u snap a picture =p

go for 18-200mm
    Nikon D300|50mm|Sigma 24-70mm|Sony CX7|LX3|Multiply /Foto

Keep your kit lens and go for EF 70-200mm f/4.0 L USM which is light weight, and sharp lens compare to 18-200mm. With the L lens it save you from future upgrade of lens.
    Canon 5D II, 20-35 f/2.8L, 28-80 f/2.8L, 70-200 f/4L IS, 100-300 f/5.6L, 100 f/2.8 Macro

just came back from travelling
    although 70-200 F4 L is a great and sharp lens but i still think its not exactly a good travelling lens. i brought my kit and 70-200 for my trip and realise its really too troublesome to keep changing lens.
    so i still think 18-200 will definately be a lens to get if u were to go travelling

I always go with 18-55 and 55-250 for everyday shoot. If broken, wont cost much to replace compared to L lens which is reserved for paid shoots.

to answer your question, since you already have 18-55mm

2- Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM. With F2.8 constant aperture, you get nicer low/night light pictures.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

but its one hell of a heavy lens to lug ard. No joke. Not suitable for travel

Hi Pros,

Thanks much
    Or maybe this is just your research.. if had some research already and consideration, no need to ask around.

I do hoped your reearch includes why are you travelling? what are you going to shoot? are there any specifics?

This thread will make you buy lenses that fits others peoples needs and not your personal travel needs.

Good luck.

by the way. the travel lens for me is the 10-20mm. and nothing else. but that's just me.
    Loslos...

Have you also considered what suits your wallet? According current price list the 2nd lens is more than double the price of the first one. Beside this it's much heavier. Another point: you compare a fixed aperture high-end lens with a variable aperture super zoom lens - that's not apple to apple and doesn't make much sense. Since you still have your kit lens I think the EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM would be a better choice to compliment your kit lens.
    Redo your research again, but start with defining your needs.

Thanks guys. Really appreciate all your suggestions.

personally, i'm a "scenary" guy and i guess 1 of the main factor for me is so that i don't have to change my lens so often. + at times, i feel that i need the extra distance yet sharpness.

I'm actually more inclined in getting the 18-200cm for simple reasons that is cheaper as well as i might not be able to appreciate the "wonder" of a F2.8 lens at this point of time.

But coming from the fact that i also have my kit lens, getting 18-200 also mean my kit len will start collecting dust??..sorry if i'm wrong but i'm simply thinking from a very high level point of view.

Once again thanks.
    Cheers

17-55 2.8 IS...
    "If triangles had Gods, they would be three-sided"
    Flickr|

Get the 18-200mm. Quite convenient. Don't need to change lens. Bought it for my Japan trip. 200mm is useful for candid portrait. Can shoot scenery then immediately switch to tele to shoot chio bu

But think you may still need a faster lens at night. I brought my 50/1.8. Useful in some situation.
    EOS 550D EFS 18-200 IS + Sigma 50mm F1.4 HSM + 430EXII