Thread: external flash

Default external flash

Hi fellow clubsnaps!
    Im a newbie in photography.i wanna ask the pros here why and when do u need a external flash?what do external flash like 480ex and 580ex do?and why cant we just use the built in flash?i see alot of pros put a card or something on their flash.is they a thread or a article anyway for me to learn it from?

Default Re: external flash

Ext flash
    1. very hard to have red eye effect
    2. further reach
    3. allow for more creative lighting, bouncing the light off ceiling or wall
    4. ext flash will not be block by wide angle lens and hood causing a dark area in picture
    5. more power to bright up a larger area

the weird white card
    1. its call a bounce card
    2. use it to reflect light, to throw light forward while flash is shooting upwards (generally)
    3. light bounce off the card is softer, bigger card = more light bounce (can be good can be bad)

go search the forum for 'a better bounce card' there is instruction to make one yourself and also picture to show u the diff between direct flash and bounce flash
    BTW direct flash = the flash pointing ahead inline with your lens, which is what your build in flash is only capable of.
    Last edited by nixontkl; 26th November 2008 at 08:02 PM.
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

Cool Re: external flash

Hi welcome to CS some infor for the flash hope help you http://www.the-digital-picture.com/R...sh-Review.aspx
    Nikon D300|50mm|Sigma 24-70mm|Sony CX7|LX3|Multiply /Foto

Default Re: external flash

Quote Originally Posted by motionid View Post
    Hi fellow clubsnaps!
    Im a newbie in photography.i wanna ask the pros here why and when do u need a external flash?what do external flash like 480ex and 580ex do?and why cant we just use the built in flash?i see alot of pros put a card or something on their flash.is they a thread or a article anyway for me to learn it from?
    i hate to say this

but google is your best friend, loads of good articles out there on external flash