Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57

Thread: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West West West area
    Posts
    69

    Default Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    Dear All,

    Previously i am using Canon 450D. Due to itchy backside, so intend to look for something different which 450D dun have. I had sold out all my Canon.

    I still stuck at this few item as mention on tittle, have no idea what brand and model i should go. So, at here i would like to have some comment from all of you.

    Again, also thinking to get new or used from CS,

    Live is so diffitcult.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    It's only as difficult as you make it to be.

    You just have to find out what is that you need. Maybe you can ask yourself first what was it with the 450D that you found lacking? If you don't even know what is it you want, even the top of the line cameras might not be able to satisfy you.

    It's not much use asking people to help you decide. All the info you need, you can find it online. Plenty of discussions have been done about each of the cameras you mentioned. At the end of the day, you have to evaluate all the information you found and decide for yourself which suits you best based on your needs and budget.

    Sorry if I may sound hard or crude, but your post doesn't say much about why you want a new camera, so maybe you just need to think about that first before simply asking which to buy.

    Good Luck!

  3. #3

    Default Re: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Auto View Post
    Dear All,

    Previously i am using Canon 450D. Due to itchy backside, so intend to look for something different which 450D dun have. I had sold out all my Canon.

    I still stuck at this few item as mention on tittle, have no idea what brand and model i should go. So, at here i would like to have some comment from all of you.

    Again, also thinking to get new or used from CS,

    Live is so diffitcult.
    see what you need. For me i would look for noise control at iso1600 and above among other things.
    You wont see me much less remember me but i am the guy who makes you look good.

  4. #4
    Member tanandrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    548

    Cool Re: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Auto View Post
    Dear All,

    Previously i am using Canon 450D. Due to itchy backside, so intend to look for something different which 450D dun have. I had sold out all my Canon.

    I still stuck at this few item as mention on tittle, have no idea what brand and model i should go. So, at here i would like to have some comment from all of you.

    Again, also thinking to get new or used from CS,

    Live is so diffitcult.
    i bought 450D after one week sold it away, then get D300 and very happy till now:
    Nikon D300|50mm|Sigma 24-70mm|Sony CX7|LX3|Multiply /Foto

  5. #5

    Default Re: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    is D300 or D90 better?
    i want to take pics at iso 800 or 1600 (if possible)
    D7100,SB910,17-50/2.8OS,105/2.8VR,85/1.8D,2xE-M1,O60/2.8,12-40/2.8,35-100/2.8,14-42,LX100

  6. #6

    Default Re: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    is D300 or D90 better?
    i want to take pics at iso 800 or 1600 (if possible)
    Do research. They've been compared on dpreview already.
    Alpha

  7. #7

    Default Re: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    Quote Originally Posted by sin77 View Post
    is D300 or D90 better?
    i want to take pics at iso 800 or 1600 (if possible)
    About the same for both imo.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    There is numerous reason of why you should and why you should not.
    I was a user of D300 and now D3.
    My opinion for you is D300.

    I will let the others tell you why it should be D300, and also canon users
    to let you know why 40D

    Quote Originally Posted by blackdrakes View Post
    About the same for both imo.
    D3S|N70-200|N24-70|N24-85|N50f1.4|N35f2|SB800|SB900|Yashica GS|S95
    www.flickr.com/photos/davidktw

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    floating in space.
    Posts
    795

    Default Re: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    Why not Sony? Olympus? Panasonic? Pentax? Leica? Hasselblad? Leaf? Mamiya? RED? Lomo? Polaroid?
    D∞X, 1-∞ mm F0.17. I like to show off my equipment list because I'm pro. My Flickr

  10. #10

    Default Re: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    Quote Originally Posted by entropy_h View Post
    Lomo?
    Alpha

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    125'10.16"N 10350'11.01"E
    Posts
    1,052

    Default Re: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Auto View Post
    look for something different which 450D dun have
    How about Leica M8, a range finder? Or, infact a Hasselblad?

  12. #12

    Default Re: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    Quote Originally Posted by tanandrew View Post
    i bought 450D after one week sold it away, then get D300 and very happy till now:
    Welcome to the Dark Side...

    Quote Originally Posted by David Kwok View Post
    There is numerous reason of why you should and why you should not.
    I was a user of D300 and now D3.
    My opinion for you is D300.

    I will let the others tell you why it should be D300, and also canon users
    to let you know why 40D
    Being an ex 40D user myself and now switched to the Dark Side, I would say go with D300...IMHO, D300 beats 40D in the following aspects:

    1. Better high iso noise control
    2. Advanced CLS system
    3. More reliable flashes when taking multiple shots. You seldom get dark/missed pics on Nikon. When I was using 40D + 580EXII, out of 5 continuous shots, at least 1 or 2 is dark.
    4. Ability to use excellent Nikkor Manual Focus lens. They are cheap n good compared to the AF versions like for like!
    5. 51 AF pts vs 9 AF pts on 40D. People will tell u they only use the center AF pts so there is no pt having so many AF pts yaddayadda...wait till you get focus shift and your protraits turn out not sharp then u will regret like I used to...
    6. Canon only keeps the good stuff on the 1D series whereas for Nikon, the hi end technology will trickle down to the lower end models. Example, only the 1D series gets 45AF pts, even the newly announced 5DMkII only has 9 AF+ 6 AF Assist pts...

    My advice is since you had sold your Canon stuff, go for Nikon...

  13. #13

    Default Re: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    Quote Originally Posted by coolsigg View Post

    5. 51 AF pts vs 9 AF pts on 40D. People will tell u they only use the center AF pts so there is no pt having so many AF pts yaddayadda...wait till you get focus shift and your protraits turn out not sharp then u will regret like I used to...
    6. Canon only keeps the good stuff on the 1D series whereas for Nikon, the hi end technology will trickle down to the lower end models. Example, only the 1D series gets 45AF pts, even the newly announced 5DMkII only has 9 AF+ 6 AF Assist pts...
    i am another from 450D to D300, and i am very happy with what my camera can perform now.

    Everyone has their reason why they choose things over, mine is mainly due to advance CLS and the marketing trend of C disappoint me, as what coolsigg mention in point 6. You will never get the pro features in the C lower end as they will always be keeping them in the 1D series, wherelse the darkside will eventually pass down the features over the years.

    And like what coolsigg mention, i was one of the dudes who keep insisting why the need of 51 af points, and after using it, i would say, it will be a feature i look in cameras if i ever upgrade again.

    It really make focusing more accurate and allows you more angle and perspective to choose from with large aperature lenses, you will not experience recomposition and losing focus in photos again

  14. #14
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    Get a Red. Problems all solved.

  15. #15
    Member/Tangshooter Redsun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    7,932

    Default Re: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Get a Red. Problems all solved.
    and break the bank too

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    West West West area
    Posts
    69

    Default Re: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    Quote Originally Posted by tanandrew View Post
    i bought 450D after one week sold it away, then get D300 and very happy till now:

    Might be i will do it as well. But, i found that Nikon lens not as much as Canon, am i right??

    What some brother mention above absolutely correct, Etc, 45pts and high ISO, this also some of the reason i gave up Canon. i also able to get almost same spec like D300 from canon if i pay more$$$

    Besides, those use D300 mind to share where you bought and how much and freebie u get via PM. Thanks.
    Last edited by Silver Auto; 27th November 2008 at 03:19 PM. Reason: shortage

  17. #17

    Default Re: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Auto View Post
    But, i found that Nikon lens not as much as Canon, am i right??
    Err, so? Do you really need 100+ lenses, most of which duplicate each other?
    Alpha

  18. #18

    Default Re: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Auto View Post
    Might be i will do it as well. But, i found that Nikon lens not as much as Canon, am i right??
    What is more impt is that the brand u finally choose must have the lenses that meets your needs...

    Canon have alot of pro grade telephoto lenses from 300mm onwards...but do u need them and can you afford them?

    For me, along as the brand have 24-70, 70-200, Macro and some common primes (35/50/85), I am ok liaos...

  19. #19

    Default Re: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    actually from wat i had read from mag and thread here, d90 is enough if sports is not the main objective. d300 has a solid body and iso higher.

  20. #20
    Senior Member lunas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,656

    Default Re: Nikon D300 or D90 or Canon 40D

    My answer for you.

    Got the D300 in July @ $2300 with grip @ $350.

    Last edited by lunas; 27th November 2008 at 05:07 PM.
    Nikon D300 | D800 - my flickr!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •