Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Emergency !! Really siao liao.. please advice

Well guys...

Hes new... and hes frd needed his help...

Well.. i went for his frd's church wedding to help him out...
    Im glad the groom and his parents love my pics...

Wonder.... Who says use AUTO and GREEN BOXY to shoot?

lolx... heng i amended him straight away...

Where all ya spirit? Thot we suppose to learn and share from others? Even if he ask weird qns.. dun give him craps lah...

Please give a reason why it is not possible to use the automatic modes to shoot when the camera is more capable than the photographer?

perhaps u r right
    at times.. when the camera is betta than the photog.

I beg to differ.

I have seen real full-time wedding/events photographers shooting with P modes at times, don't see what's wrong with that. Or are you refering that 1 can only take good photos using AV/TV/Manual mode?

Our myoplex here is having doubts with exposure settings, and even what mode to use. It's unlikely 1 can master exposures configuration overnight, hence we advised him to use auto, so that he can spend more time on compositions etc.

If you are refering to learning aspect, for someone who are so new to photography, who have no clue on exposures, ain't it a good idea that he uses P mode, and look at how the camera meters? (no doubt he shouldn't treat the wedding as some experiment shoot tho. )

Looking down on P mode is a big no no..

Totally agree...when things are hot up in the wedding..P mode can be a life saver...

Aiyah dun argue.

Ruthbaby was good ! I am sure she is happy with the ang bao keke

All I want to say that using auto mode was a mistake for INDOORS.
    Outdoors was okay to use auto --> coz got sun !

Lucky I changed to other modes and the pictures turn out much better.

Reason auto not suitable:
    1) prob due to the lighting. The church is not like your normal christian church with air-con, good/passable lighting etc ..this one is a historical site so dun expect much.

2) using auto --> the camera automatically used iso100 most of the time which was insufficient

My vertical shots hard some harsh shadows. How do you bounce when you cam is vertical ? I know you can turn the flash head, but you're be bouncing at your self man.

Anyway I think my compositions were okay.

Also I would like to thank everyone here for the advice ...suaning ...etc , but nothing beats practice and having a mentor.

Last edited by myloplex; 8th September 2003 at 04:25 PM.

"I have 50mm 1.8 (the cheapest 100 +) lense
    sigh not sure to use of not." - quoted from myloplex

tis statement u made sure makes me feel dat u only believe in expensive stuff. 50mm f1.8 may not compare in sharpness 2 the 50mm f1.4 but imho its 1 of the few sharpest & most affordable lens ard. coupled with the aperture, it definitely is very useful in low light conditions.

Deregistered

One reason why I prefer M mode over P mode, but to each his own, I just feel comfortable working with M mode.

Attach your bounce card to the small side of the head that you're flashing. That should solve your vertical shots harsh shadows. Else use a slave flash.

"its not that i have no confidence. also can't turn down the offer liao ... my friend will kill me !!" - quoted from myloplex

i'm wondering have 2 thot whether yr fren WILL kill u when he c the album dat u created for him/her after the wedding? if u really treat him/her as a fren i'd suggest u hand this assignment 2 someone more experienced. wedding is a once in a lifetime thing (for most ppl though). pls consider carefully n dun b afraid 2 lose face.

no mah its the cheapest lense around so not sure if 'safe' to use for such an important occassion.

And guess what .. lucky I didn't use it, there was an embedded object ..about 1cm inside the lense ..cannot blow off. Dunno how it got there. Just send it to canon for servicing and they said its an 'affordable' lense so such things are bound to happen mah. I guess get for what you pay for.

But personally I like the 50mm coz of its 1.8 aperture. Feels good to be able to know you can achieve 1.8.
    But its a 52mm lense opening only yar. A 77mm lense at f4 should allow more light in yar ? (not sure on this )

Thanxs for the advice, but wedding where got time to turn head, attach bounce the other way the shoot.
    Sigh ..must pratice on this.

myoplex, in all honesty, currently the camera is too good for you.

What perptually baffles us is your inability to think for yourself. You've been asking us very basic questions which would've been resolved with a few simple minutes of logical deduction. Yet you're either too lazy to think on your own, or you simply lack the intelligence to do so. If the latter is true, please be prepared to accept a lifetime of mediocre photographs with a gem that comes every few years. If it's the former, well, then you are a really sad case.

Your inability to think on your own will create a fair number of deep-rooted problems in your progress in photography. Already your fundementals are extremely unsound, and the words "academic photographer" and "formulaic photographer" come to my mind when describing you. Not a good start you've gotten yourself off to.

Quote Originally Posted by EOS500N
    "its not that i have no confidence. also can't turn down the offer liao ... my friend will kill me !!" - quoted from myloplex

i'm wondering have 2 thot whether yr fren WILL kill u when he c the album dat u created for him/her after the wedding? if u really treat him/her as a fren i'd suggest u hand this assignment 2 someone more experienced. wedding is a once in a lifetime thing (for most ppl though). pls consider carefully n dun b afraid 2 lose face.
    knn ..suan me again.. hahah its okay. No hard feelings.

I know what you mean but everything went better than expected.

The photos were shown during dinner time as a montage of 200++ photos from morning makeup, tea etc. (added in ruth's church photo toos ) BTW, photos were straight from the camera and didn't go through photoshop.

Everyone liked it ...even asked if I was a professional (ha ha).... There was a professional photography whom I came to know (he's been in biz since 1978) and he said for a newbie, the pictures were well shot except the lighting could be improved.

Anyway, everyone's happy and i guess its quite an achievement for myself and a very good learning experience.

WEY....
    CASE CLOSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAKE LOVE.. awww
    NO WAR

Quote Originally Posted by YSLee
    myoplex, in all honesty, currently the camera is too good for you.

What perptually baffles us is your inability to think for yourself. You've been asking us very basic questions which would've been resolved with a few simple minutes of logical deduction. Yet you're either too lazy to think on your own, or you simply lack the intelligence to do so. If the latter is true, please be prepared to accept a lifetime of mediocre photographs with a gem that comes every few years. If it's the former, well, then you are a really sad case.

Your inability to think on your own will create a fair number of deep-rooted problems in your progress in photography. Already your fundementals are extremely unsound, and the words "academic photographer" and "formulaic photographer" come to my mind when describing you. Not a good start you've gotten yourself off to.
    knn X 100 ...another suaning. Hmm maybe I got a low IQ and should be condenmed like people with disabilities coz God didn't make us perfect like you. ke ke no offence. Peace !

Like i tell some people. You want to help ... give help without judgement no matter how irritated you get. If not ... its not called help at all.

Anyway, lets not argue.

Want to help ... be like Ruth.
    She has he biggest heart of all. She came down to help me without asking for any money or for any personal gain.

Maybe CS should have a section to list all the
    1) pros (those that have won national/internation competitions)
    2) pro wannabes (those who rely on photoshop always)
    3) traders (those who come here just to Buy/sell)
    4) newbies (like me !!)

This way we know that the pros are always right when it comes to advice .. haha !!

You don't want help. You want to be spoonfed. I make a distinction between that.

Erm anyway the wedding is over so this thread serves no further purpose.

Thread closed

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123