Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaffer Tape-Where to buy?

Default Gaffer Tape-Where to buy?

any info on where to buy gaffer tape?....anyone wants to sell ??

Any hardware store would sell them. I bought mine at Aldehie - on the 4th floor, cannot remember the shop name, but they sell art stuff and do prints

Typically cost about 2.50 or 4, depending 1 inch or 2 inch.

Hope this helps.

I am gaffering all my equipment - makes it less obvious and hopefully deter thieves when I'm overseas. At the same time, protects my camera. Was influenced by Sulhan.

Cheers

Deregistered

1" thick? Or 1 piece? Thanks

thanks offspring....i am going overseas next week...hence must mask my camera before setting off....

Just to ask...what portion if the camera/lens do you 'gaffer' ??

Quote Originally Posted by offspring
    typo - should be Aldephi
    hehehe... still typo should be Adelphi ;P

Depends on your objective

For discrete: gaffer all wordings (actually also protect against wear) and brands, I also gaffer my gitzo tripod brand and foba ballhead brand. So thieves think your camera is OEM one, but if they are persistent - no choice. I also gaffer my red line (hahahhah) - super kiasu hor

For protection: contact points (areas where your fingernails may scratch the body, area where strap goes through, I use strap and handstrap so the metal part may scratch my body, bottom of the lens hood cos when we rest our camera, the bootom of the lens always in contact with the table etc, top of camera - esp when use with camera bag where top is in contact with bag)

Actually, no hard and fast rules. One rule though, change your tapes once every 2 months or under heat too long else it will become too sticky. Please clean the surface before and after gaffering.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz
    thanks offspring....i am going overseas next week...hence must mask my camera before setting off....

Just to ask...what portion if the camera/lens do you 'gaffer' ??

Hi offspring. You mentioned the cost:

"Typically cost about 2.50 or 4, depending 1 inch or 2 inch."

So S$2.50 for 1" width and S$4 for 2" width. But what is the length? Like what is the cost per roll, of what length and width?

Thanks. I am interested to buy.

Any hardware store would sell them. I bought mine at Aldehie - on the 4th floor, cannot remember the shop name, but they sell art stuff and do prints

Typically cost about 2.50 or 4, depending 1 inch or 2 inch.

Hope this helps.

I am gaffering all my equipment - makes it less obvious and hopefully deter thieves when I'm overseas. At the same time, protects my camera. Was influenced by Sulhan.

Cheers
    erm, i hate to be a kaypoh, but i don't think that's gaffer tape. that's duct tape or cloth tape, not the same as gaffer tape at all. gaffer tape won't leave any marks or residue, even after prolonged periods of time, and it's much more expensive than that. i get mine for about $30+ a roll and i literally tape everything i have...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry
    erm, i hate to be a kaypoh, but i don't think that's gaffer tape. that's duct tape or cloth tape, not the same as gaffer tape at all. gaffer tape won't leave any marks or residue, even after prolonged periods of time, and it's much more expensive than that. i get mine for about $30+ a roll and i literally tape everything i have...
    good for you to point out, so what is gaffer tape? (got picture?) how to identify-what brand. where to buy? Some shop may just sell you anything and call it gaffer tape or maybe lousy brand lower grade gaffer tape.

Deregistered

For a moment I was wondering how come gaffer was so cheap, $2.50 , thanks for the clarification UL, I nearly wanted to go down to Adelphi later get a few rolls since it was so cheap.

UL, where to get gaffer? I've been looking all over, currently I'm using a bit that I 'stole' from djChris before he went NS. Looking to getting one roll to gaffer up my tripod legs

Quote Originally Posted by pcwe68
    good for you to point out, so what is gaffer tape? (got picture?) how to identify-what brand. where to buy? Some shop may just sell you anything and call it gaffer tape or maybe lousy brand lower grade gaffer tape.
    here's some good links to refer to...
    http://www.identi-tape.com/gaffer.htm
    http://www.tape-and-tape-dispenser-g...ffers_Tape.htm

AFAIK, gaffer tape is used in a lot of stage and theatre productions cos it won't leave a mark on the stage after use. the material is matt and very tough, and it's totally different from masking, cloth, vinyl, duct and other types of type. last time we did a MO for it (canturn organised it) from the US.

Deregistered

Ouch.. have to order from US, sigh, no choice then. I thought it is available locally?

Quote Originally Posted by espn
    Ouch.. have to order from US, sigh, no choice then. I thought it is available locally?
    it probably is, but i dunno where. prob have to check with the theatre folks...

i just got mine yesterday.

114 Sophia Road. The Film Equipment Gallery.

Pay close attention to the right side of the road if you're driving. i went pass it once, completely missing it. Small shop front on a relatively ulu road.

i think it used to be $34, but yesterday it was $23.

Oh yes, don't go during lunch hour. i had to wait for the guy to come back from lunch - there was a 'out for lunch - back in 30 minutes' sign.

He also offered me what he called 'camera tape', but i took the gaffer instead.

Deregistered

Sorry, urm, any directions to where it is? I'm checking up streetdirectory.com now, any more specific details?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100

Pay close attention to the right side of the road if you're driving. i went pass it once, completely missing it. Small shop front on a relatively ulu road.

i think it used to be $34, but yesterday it was $23.

Oh yes, don't go during lunch hour. i had to wait for the guy to come back from lunch - there was a 'out for lunch - back in 30 minutes' sign.

He also offered me what he called 'camera tape', but i took the gaffer instead.
    Hey ST1100, any spare left that you can sell me? Don't think I'll use up the whole roll so don't want to spent so much on the tape. Hhehehehe

ah - i am using cheapo cloth tape. ta ma de!!!

hahahahha

Quote Originally Posted by Larry

But my cheapo cloth tape does the work too, went for 2 trips with it already. Left no stains, stickiness whatsoever.

Paiseh to all for wrong advise where to purchase. paiseh paiseh
    hahahhahhahah

ah - i am using cheapo cloth tape. ta ma de!!!

hahahahha

Quote Originally Posted by ST1100

Alamak! Bo jio!
    Should've listened to you and gaffered up my camera the other time.....been dropping more caps again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast