Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: SRGB or AdobeRGB. Which format?

  1. #1

    Default SRGB or AdobeRGB. Which format?

    Hi,

    Was using my DSLR, which format is gd? which 1 give a nicer picture?
    Any diff?

  2. #2
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: SRGB or AdobeRGB. Which format?

    Quote Originally Posted by cklingkwok View Post
    Hi,

    Was using my DSLR, which format is gd? which 1 give a nicer picture?
    Any diff?
    adobeRGB has a wider gamut

  3. #3

    Default Re: SRGB or AdobeRGB. Which format?

    Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    adobeRGB has a wider gamut
    Thanks.. will it affect the picture when i start taking it?

  4. #4
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: SRGB or AdobeRGB. Which format?

    Quote Originally Posted by cklingkwok View Post
    Was using my DSLR, which format is gd? which 1 give a nicer picture?
    You may also want to check the Digital Darkroom section. Such questions are answered there frequently.
    Beside this: AdobeRGB only makes sense if your equipment (monitor, printer etc.) is able to display this colour space properly. If not (most consumer displays cannot) then either the display will be mapped to sRGB (depends on the image software you are using to display and edit your pciture) or your colours will look dull.

  5. #5

    Default SRGB or AdobeRGB

    Hi,

    Not sure if there is a thread on this in the section
    Was using my DSLR, which format is gd? which 1 give a nicer picture?
    Any diff?

  6. #6
    Moderator Octarine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    12,390

    Default Re: SRGB or AdobeRGB

    Erm.. please do not do cross-posting .. and please read the existing threads to honour the time and efforts dedicated by fellow photographers here.

  7. #7
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: SRGB or AdobeRGB. Which format?

    SRGB is pretty common place in monitors, typical home printing, and especially internet.

    Adobe RGB has a wider gamut that supports many of the wider gamut photo printers, and is starting to pick up online. The only issue is that current browsers are mostly not color managed except safari and mozilla, and adobe RGB profile pictures might turn out duller. Maybe the next IE might implement it.

    There is a visible difference when i display these pictures in mozilla vs IE.

    For me I work save process everything in Adobe RGB up to the point i send the files for printing companies.

    Ryan
    Last edited by giantcanopy; 24th November 2008 at 05:18 PM.

  8. #8
    Moderator ortega's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    23,686
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: SRGB or AdobeRGB. Which format?

    move thread to digital darkroom and merge

  9. #9

    Default Re: SRGB or AdobeRGB

    Quote Originally Posted by Octarine View Post
    Erm.. please do not do cross-posting .. and please read the existing threads to honour the time and efforts dedicated by fellow photographers here.
    Sorry abt that

  10. #10

    Default Re: SRGB or AdobeRGB

    sRGB if you want to post the pictures online. I use Adobe RGB only for printing.

  11. #11

    Default Re: SRGB or AdobeRGB. Which format?


  12. #12

    Default Re: SRGB or AdobeRGB

    Quote Originally Posted by rotisiao View Post
    sRGB if you want to post the pictures online. I use Adobe RGB only for printing.

    Thats a gd 1...

  13. #13

    Default Re: SRGB or AdobeRGB. Which format?

    I have taken ONE picture in AdobeRGB, put it into photoshop, then saved it in both color spaces and with/without ICC profile embedded.
    Conclusion: Images saved in Adobe RGB (1998) with and without embedded ICC profile, appear washed out.

    AdobeRGB-----vs-----sRGB

    more samples here

    For most output devices (printers, web), sRGB should reproduce WYSIWYG. Only special printing services provide devices that can interpret and print according to AdobeRGB and ICC profiles. Hence, imo, it is safest to shoot and work in sRGB. Unless you want to take a step further by shooting in AdobeRGB work in AdobeRGB then save as sRGB by converting the color space or using the 'save for web'.
    =[toys+photography+reviews]=
    access: a day in the life of a be@rbrick

  14. #14

    Default Re: SRGB or AdobeRGB. Which format?

    Quote Originally Posted by mybearbrick View Post
    I have taken ONE picture in AdobeRGB, put it into photoshop, then saved it in both color spaces and with/without ICC profile embedded.
    Conclusion: Images saved in Adobe RGB (1998) with and without embedded ICC profile, appear washed out.
    er... that should depend on whether the viewing software is colour aware (as well as possibly the rendering intent in the colour space conversion process)...

    just checked the original files in the "more sample here" link, found that, using Adobe Bridge and opening in Photoshop CS3,

    1) only the "ARGB w ICC" image has an embedded colour space
    2) other than the images "ARGB w ICC" and "ARGB wO ICC", the other images were all brighter and more saturated, whether in Bridge or opened in Photoshop... could be a rendering intent issue in the conversion?... how was the conversion from Adobe RGB to sRGB carried out?

  15. #15

    Default Re: SRGB or AdobeRGB. Which format?

    Quote Originally Posted by theRBK View Post
    er... that should depend on whether the viewing software is colour aware (as well as possibly the rendering intent in the colour space conversion process)...

    just checked the original files in the "more sample here" link, found that, using Adobe Bridge and opening in Photoshop CS3,

    1) only the "ARGB w ICC" image has an embedded colour space
    2) other than the images "ARGB w ICC" and "ARGB wO ICC", the other images were all brighter and more saturated, whether in Bridge or opened in Photoshop... could be a rendering intent issue in the conversion?... how was the conversion from Adobe RGB to sRGB carried out?
    used 'edit > convert to profile' as shown here (in Section 5)
    i am really amatuer at this, but since it gives me the results for uploading and developing,
    i have been using this method to save my jpegs.
    still not sure why my exif viewer showed 'uncalibrated' for sRGB files.
    care to enlighten?
    Last edited by mybearbrick; 25th November 2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: added url
    =[toys+photography+reviews]=
    access: a day in the life of a be@rbrick

  16. #16

    Default Re: SRGB or AdobeRGB. Which format?

    Quote Originally Posted by mybearbrick View Post
    I have taken ONE picture in AdobeRGB, put it into photoshop, then saved it in both color spaces and with/without ICC profile embedded.
    Conclusion: Images saved in Adobe RGB (1998) with and without embedded ICC profile, appear washed out.

    AdobeRGB-----vs-----sRGB

    more samples here

    For most output devices (printers, web), sRGB should reproduce WYSIWYG. Only special printing services provide devices that can interpret and print according to AdobeRGB and ICC profiles. Hence, imo, it is safest to shoot and work in sRGB. Unless you want to take a step further by shooting in AdobeRGB work in AdobeRGB then save as sRGB by converting the color space or using the 'save for web'.
    The pic in SRGB look better.
    Think with editing in other software , SRGB is better ba.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •