Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Finishing a long day's work

  1. #1

    Default Finishing a long day's work



    Was walking about my neighbourhood in the evening and saw this worker packing up for the day. Shot was rushed so was shot wide open at f/1.4. Sharpened the image in photoshop and added vignetting and increased contrast. I like the way the worker seems to have a tired look on his face, like he just wants to get the day done and over with

    would like comments about:
    1) is the image able to bring across the worker finishing a long day's work?
    2) what can be done to improve the image?

    For larger image click here
    Last edited by EOS Revolution; 26th November 2008 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Editing image URL
    "If triangles had Gods, they would be three-sided"
    Flickr|

  2. #2
    Senior Member The_Cheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,278

    Default Re: Finishing a long day's work

    1) No, the image doesn't bring across the worker finishing a long day's work. The background lighting does not tell us if it is at the end of the day, or just a some shaded afternoon. The expression of the worker doesn't show any signs about his feeling of work as well.


    2) Remove the stray elements at the back. Lots of ways to do it, including having a desaturated background against a more contrasty subject.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Finishing a long day's work

    Yup, doesn't show that it's the end of the day.
    I would say there is no shadows that sunsets usually gives.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Finishing a long day's work

    Ok.. maybe it was a bad day to take it. It had rained earlier in the day and the sun was still behind clouds. will try making the subject stand out
    "If triangles had Gods, they would be three-sided"
    Flickr|

  5. #5

    Default Re: Finishing a long day's work



    Is this better?
    "If triangles had Gods, they would be three-sided"
    Flickr|

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Finishing a long day's work

    Slightly better on the second edit. I would have preferred a slightly tighter frame. I feel you can afford to exclude a good part of the pickup truck; perhaps about the left 1/3 of the truck can be excluded.

    As long as we see that certain amount of workers tools to keep the image in context, that will be sufficient. As you can see, a good part of the pick up truck's load is not that important and is shrouded in shadow anyway.

    Why I also suggest going tighter is because you want to see the look on the worker's face. Is he tired, fatigued, glad to be knocking off? We don't quite know because his face is small in the image.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Finishing a long day's work

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    Slightly better on the second edit. I would have preferred a slightly tighter frame. I feel you can afford to exclude a good part of the pickup truck; perhaps about the left 1/3 of the truck can be excluded.

    As long as we see that certain amount of workers tools to keep the image in context, that will be sufficient. As you can see, a good part of the pick up truck's load is not that important and is shrouded in shadow anyway.

    Why I also suggest going tighter is because you want to see the look on the worker's face. Is he tired, fatigued, glad to be knocking off? We don't quite know because his face is small in the image.
    Tried square cropping... does this work?

    "If triangles had Gods, they would be three-sided"
    Flickr|

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Pasir Ris
    Posts
    400

    Default Re: Finishing a long day's work

    i cant see the first pic. but i prefer the crop on the third one than the second one.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Finishing a long day's work

    Quote Originally Posted by coolin View Post
    i cant see the first pic. but i prefer the crop on the third one than the second one.
    Ok..
    "If triangles had Gods, they would be three-sided"
    Flickr|

  10. #10
    Senior Member The_Cheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,278

    Default Re: Finishing a long day's work

    TS, request to put the original image in, so that other members can give their critique based on your first image (and not the later ones).

  11. #11

    Default Re: Finishing a long day's work

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cheat View Post
    TS, request to put the original image in, so that other members can give their critique based on your first image (and not the later ones).
    Ok.. edited the URL
    "If triangles had Gods, they would be three-sided"
    Flickr|

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    10,596

    Default Re: Finishing a long day's work

    The square crop definitely brings much more emphasis to the worker and the heap of tools on the lorry. That's about the only thing fixable here, with post-process. Ideally, I'd still like to have more emphasis on the worker's expression after a long day of work.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Finishing a long day's work

    Quote Originally Posted by calebk View Post
    The square crop definitely brings much more emphasis to the worker and the heap of tools on the lorry. That's about the only thing fixable here, with post-process. Ideally, I'd still like to have more emphasis on the worker's expression after a long day of work.
    Ok.. noted
    "If triangles had Gods, they would be three-sided"
    Flickr|

  14. #14

    Default Re: Finishing a long day's work

    Square crop is definitely better.Original is very messy thanks to the lorry.I still dont think this photo has much to do with your title.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Finishing a long day's work

    Quote Originally Posted by PrimePhotog View Post
    Square crop is definitely better.Original is very messy thanks to the lorry.I still dont think this photo has much to do with your title.
    I will ask u in sch....
    "If triangles had Gods, they would be three-sided"
    Flickr|

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •