Thread: Beginner's Try

Default Beginner's Try

hi guys, i am using an old konica minolta to take these pics, please give ur comments as i am really a newbie at night shots, thanks

PIC 1

PIC 2

PIC 3

PIC 4
    Last edited by desertstrike; 24th November 2008 at 12:48 AM.

Default Re: Beginner's Try

I think you need to clean your lens.
    Alpha

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    er... i think it is on the inside...
    the outer part, i already clean le...
    so obvious ar....

anyone tried opening up a prosumer camera to clean the inside of the len?

Noise noise noise~~~

The blown highlights in some pictures are overwhelming. Take your pictures earlier before the sky is completely dark.

Quote Originally Posted by Rashkae View Post
    why?

threadstarter -

it's not a bad start but your exposure is really haywire. in the first place, this is personally, not a good timing to shoot - much too dark, nothing in the sky, you will end up getting what i call "disemodied lights".. just bright things floating in the dark that are not *really* that pretty.

try an earlier timing.

i would not shoot pic 3, the two things in the foreground are cutting across your background (shenton way). same for pic one, there is no strong focal point here.

pic two is not a bad try, but nothing spectacular.

pic three has an idea of composition there, but note the tilts. also, you have one big lump of overexposure right beneath the flyer there. i have no idea how you managed to do that, my guess is you happily triggered the shutter when the cars were standing still. wait for the traffic light to turn green before you start, and try to finish it before it turns red.

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    why?

threadstarter -

it's not a bad start but your exposure is really haywire. in the first place, this is personally, not a good timing to shoot - much too dark, nothing in the sky, you will end up getting what i call "disemodied lights".. just bright things floating in the dark that are not *really* that pretty.

try an earlier timing.

i would not shoot pic 3, the two things in the foreground are cutting across your background (shenton way). same for pic one, there is no strong focal point here.

pic two is not a bad try, but nothing spectacular.

pic three has an idea of composition there, but note the tilts. also, you have one big lump of overexposure right beneath the flyer there. i have no idea how you managed to do that, my guess is you happily triggered the shutter when the cars were standing still. wait for the traffic light to turn green before you start, and try to finish it before it turns red.
    hmm...

if it is really that dark, as in 11pm, i wun be able to take nice pic? or how should i overcome this problem?

the big lump of lights is becos of the cars... everytime the cars start moving, another group would gather behind becos of the red lights... maybe i should wait for fewer cars

ya, i agree the two "pole" is rather distracting, haha

one more thing i would like to ask is, everything i take night shots, i find that it is either everything is too dark(building + streets) or the lights source is too bright (lamp)... how should i overcome this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by desertstrike View Post
    hmm...

if it is really that dark, as in 11pm, i wun be able to take nice pic? or how should i overcome this problem?

the big lump of lights is becos of the cars... everytime the cars start moving, another group would gather behind becos of the red lights... maybe i should wait for fewer cars

ya, i agree the two "pole" is rather distracting, haha

one more thing i would like to ask is, everything i take night shots, i find that it is either everything is too dark(building + streets) or the lights source is too bright (lamp)... how should i overcome this problem?
    you will be able to take nice pictures, just not at the location you are at. the sky still ahs light, but the huge amount of contrast present , i.e. the lights versus the sky is way too large for you to get anything particularly photogenic.

timing. when there is still light in the sky it helps with this problem, which is a wider range of dynamic range required.

you will be able to take nice pictures, just not at the location you are at. the sky still ahs light, but the huge amount of contrast present , i.e. the lights versus the sky is way too large for you to get anything particularly photogenic.

timing. when there is still light in the sky it helps with this problem, which is a wider range of dynamic range required.
    hmmm.... ok.... so what are the settings that i should go for in this case? as in more towards which setting to overcome this problem? or simply, what should i do...?

Quote Originally Posted by desertstrike View Post
    hmmm.... ok.... so what are the settings that i should go for in this case? as in more towards which setting to overcome this problem? or simply, what should i do...?
    not much you can do here, that's the point i've been trying to make

night photography tends to be a very sticky issue when it gets too dark. alternatively if you have a floodlight you can try to "light paint" the buildings.

i'm kidding though on the last point. try to understand light and shoot more, at an earlier timing. then continue shooting at the later timing, and you'll see what i mean, i guess.
    Last edited by night86mare; 24th November 2008 at 10:27 AM.

the lump of overexposure on the 4th pic is way too much.
    and yeah i think your lenses need cleaning or something.

not much you can do here, that's the point i've been trying to make

night photography tends to be a very sticky issue when it gets too dark. alternatively if you have a floodlight you can try to "light paint" the buildings.

i'm kidding though on the last point. try to understand light and shoot more, at an earlier timing. then continue shooting at the later timing, and you'll see what i mean, i guess.
    oh, haha, i understand, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by coolin View Post
    the lump of overexposure on the 4th pic is way too much.
    and yeah i think your lenses need cleaning or something.
    yea, the over exposure is too much... bad timing, i think there is just too much car that day...

any good and cheap shop to recommend for cleaning len?