Thread: Sports Photography

Default Sports Photography

I tried taking photographs for my school InterClass games(soccer)
    After looking throught all my photos, i realize all of them are blur/out of focus.
    I am using 1/160 to 1/300 and f/6.3 to f/8.0 for most of my photographs.
    What shutter speed to freeze all that action?
    I tried using manual focus at first, but probelm is they move around so fast very hard to stay in focus, then reverted back to using auto focus.

Really need help from all of you there. Hoping to get some advice before trying out again tomorrow at the finals

Your main problem is the shutter speed is too low. If you are using a digicam, the depth of field is already very deep even at its widest aperture(f2.8 or so). Look at the image, both the foreground and background is reasonably clear.

There is no reason to use f6.3 or f8 which is actually equivalent to about f22 on an SLR.

To totally freeze action, you need to use at least a shutter speed of 1/500 for sports shots. If you want to use the inverse focal length rule, make sure it is about 3-4x the focal length. However, it may not be necessary to do this as sometimes a bit of motion blur may give a better sense of action.

Another problem is that the focusing is off, no easy solution for this, try to prefocus on the ground that you expect that players to move into and shoot as they enter the zone. It's very difficult to chase players with your lens if you are not using a SLR with AFS/USM lenses.
    Last edited by Zerstorer; 3rd September 2003 at 08:30 PM.

mmm i guess i will stick to f/3.0 for all my shots
    that way i can set my shutter up to 1/800, since my focal length is 140X1.75(TC)=245

btw will a ball head tripod be useful?

Quote Originally Posted by Helbreath
    mmm i guess i will stick to f/3.0 for all my shots
    that way i can set my shutter up to 1/800, since my focal length is 140X1.75(TC)=245

btw will a ball head tripod be useful?
    No, you are not having any problems with handshake and the tripod will slow you down if you are not accustomed to it.

Noticed that pic 2 and 4 had the background in focus, rather than the players. That might be the problem to your pics not being in focus.

why did you use such a wide aperture ?! !?!?!?
    omg
    just use f/2.8
    or whatever is the smallest..
    you need all the shutter speed you can for action freezing
    if all else fails,
    put it to 1/50 and pan
    or 1/30 for that matter.

also you have a focus problem.. basically you're focusing on the background. if you're not using a dSLR it's pretty hard for good sports shots coz there's no continuous autofocus..

but it's not impossible. you have to lock focus on your target and anticipate, then shoot.

also you seem to have the "chain-link-fence" problem.. that the camera focuses on anything that looks like a fence or a net instead of the actual subject.. try changing the angle might be good.

1st of all, you must know the sports that you are shooting, then you can anticipate of the movement in advance.
    "shutter speed"- well this is depend on how/what you want to.
    naturally if you want to freeze the subject a higher speed is required, but slower speed can also create the motion mood.

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    why did you use such a wide aperture ?! !?!?!?
    omg
    just use f/2.8
    or whatever is the smallest..
    you need all the shutter speed you can for action freezing
    if all else fails,
    put it to 1/50 and pan
    or 1/30 for that matter.
    err.. f/8, wide?

thanks for all your comments
    btw f3.0 is highest my camera can go at full zoom, will be using that tomorrow
    btw i am only allowed to shoot on goalpost side

about focusing, if i auto focus wad should i focus on? the glass? the people's face? i find it hard to follow all that action and stay in focus

Deregistered

from what i gather, you're using a G3/G5? bo bian la, you have to lock your MF to a preset distance, and aga the timing for a shot. compact digitals don't do AF that fast because of inherently how they work...

btw, glass??

if u mean wad add on lens i am using, it is a 1.75 canon TC

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Helbreath
    if u mean wad add on lens i am using, it is a 1.75 canon TC
    errr... i was asking about what glass you were asking you should focus on... so you were talking about the TC than some glass in the play area?

Quote Originally Posted by sehsuan
    err.. f/8, wide?
    ahahaha typo i'm sorry :P
    was too gek trying to upload my 18mb zip file of photos into my website
    hahaha

Deregistered

Quote Originally Posted by sequitur
    ahahaha typo i'm sorry :P
    was too gek trying to upload my 18mb zip file of photos into my website
    hahaha
    actually, you're right in a way. when i shoot panning shots by shutter priority, the camera usually hits f/13 or so... so f/8 is considered "shallow" - but that's comparing a dslr and a compact digicam..