Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 42

Thread: Metering tips for 10D

  1. #1

    Talking Metering tips for 10D

    I got this off the web:
    EXPOSURE COMPENSATION FOR SUBJECT METERING
    SUBJECT TONALITY COMPENSATION
    Very Light + 2 stops
    Light + 1
    Medium 0
    Dark -
    Very Dark - 1


    How to meter this with 10D in MANUAL mode ?

    It seems all I can set it the Shutter or Aperture and this will change the metering from -2 to +2

    Unlike in P, Tv, Av mode where I can set any stop I like for exposure.

    Hence, how to I achieve the above as they advice ?

    Also, how come AE lock does not work in manual mode ? Then how do I AE lock something ?

    Thanxs guys

  2. #2

    Default

    Pls understand what is manual mode.

  3. #3

    Default

    i agree, please go find out what M mode does. If you can't have an understanding of M mode, then I don't see why you need to use it in the first place. Of course I can explain it to you here, but I really don't wish to. I don't want to sound like "expensive equipment = capable photographer", but hey, you own a 10D man, please do it some justice by reading up on the very basics. I'm sure the manual itself tells u what M is all about.

    Once you know what M is, you'll find that the questions you asked are quite unnecessary.

    Work hard and good luck.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meng
    Pls understand what is manual mode.

    wa kena suan keke

    I'm new to photography mah would appreciate some advice/explanation mah.

  5. #5

    Default

    sigh. u are asking to be suan. lol.

    M = manual mode. ie you choose the settings, the shutter speed + aperture. why do you still need to compensate what you choose? use manual mode only if you are experienced enough to set the settings manually!!!

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myloplex
    I'm new to photography mah would appreciate some advice/explanation mah.
    you only need 5 minutes reading up the M mode page on your manual, and a little common sense, in order to answer your own question. Do yourself this favour please.

  7. #7

    Default

    sorry, not suan.
    But anyone should really read the manual first before posing any question unless you do not have the manual?
    Quote Originally Posted by myloplex
    wa kena suan keke

    I'm new to photography mah would appreciate some advice/explanation mah.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myloplex
    IHow to meter this with 10D in MANUAL mode ?

    It seems all I can set it the Shutter or Aperture and this will change the metering from -2 to +2
    The reason why u are getting this in Manual mode is because the light meter in the camera is trying to indicate the amount of f-stop(s) you are under or over-exposing your shot when u r trying the various combinations of shutter and iris settings. And really, a good thing to do is to RTFM before using an unfamiliar camera, then u can go on and read up or ask for opinions on further, more in-depth, queries.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Noir
    The reason why u are getting this in Manual mode is because the light meter in the camera is trying to indicate the amount of f-stop(s) you are under or over-exposing your shot when u r trying the various combinations of shutter and iris settings. And really, a good thing to do is to RTFM before using an unfamiliar camera, then u can go on and read up or ask for opinions on further, more in-depth, queries.
    Hrm...

    * togu wonders what's RTFM

    Myloplex, I'll advice like the rest tho, read your manual, keep experimenting the different settings. There's no fix rules for what setting to use in different shooting environment, you gotta feel it yourself.

    And since you are the main photographer for your friend's wedding this saturday ( http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthrea...6&page=2&pp=20 ) , do them some justice, RTFM.

    Last edited by togu; 3rd September 2003 at 07:56 PM.

  10. #10

    Default

    sorry ot but wat does it mean by RTFM??

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgoh
    sorry ot but wat does it mean by RTFM??
    My humble guess.
    Read The F****** Manual!!?!?!??!?!

    haha


    - Bob

    ps
    myoplex, I try to use manual most of the time.
    A bit tricky to get used to at first, but once you get the hang of it, you can shoot in confidence knowing that your camera wun be fooled by tricky light conditions.

    Dun worry too much bout the comments so far, I'm sure each one of us was unsure about what Manual is somewhere down the line.

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobotto
    Dun worry too much bout the comments so far, I'm sure each one of us was unsure about what Manual is somewhere down the line.
    yes it happened to me once leh, but I RTFM. Not too hard to understand even for a pea brain like me.

  13. #13
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meng
    sorry, not suan.
    But anyone should really read the manual first before posing any question unless you do not have the manual?
    me! i'm suan! (literally... )



    just note that the arrow for the +/- EV sign is subjective - i only realized how manual can be VERY useful when i was shooting the NDP fireworks with the CS gang... .

  14. #14

    Default

    Hmm okay got it so far. So much suaning etc ...me newbie mah. Read manual also blur That's why learning the hard way. Need to get *** and suan lor. Deja vu ...just like in BMT.

    Anwyay just to reconfirm:

    E.g shooting snow. You need to add +1 stop

    Manual mode
    a) Just change the aperture / shutter until +1 shows in the indicator

    P, Tv, Av mode
    a) Press Shutter halfway, camera will meter light automatically.
    b) You can change Aperture (tv mode) or Shutter (av mode) to get DOF
    c) To compensate for the snow .... Just turn the exposure compensation dial till you get +1

    Is the above the correct way to achieve the below ?
    EXPOSURE COMPENSATION FOR SUBJECT METERING
    SUBJECT TONALITY COMPENSATION
    Very Light + 2 stops
    Light + 1
    Medium 0
    Dark -
    Very Dark - 1

    --------------------------------------------------------------
    e.g Backlit object

    P, Av, Tv mode
    a)Using partial metering + AE lock (<*> pressed)
    AE lock applied to the metered value at the center AF point
    b) you can recompose your shot and the exposure will be based on the locked exposure

    Manual Mode
    AE not available .. ie cannot press <*>
    Thus how to 'lock' the exposure based one area and recompose ?
    Last edited by myloplex; 4th September 2003 at 01:20 AM.

  15. #15

    Default

    when u recompose in Manual Mode, the shutter and aperture values don't change, so the exposure is locked as long as you don't change the settings. Even if you move to a very dark or very bright area, the settings will stay as it is, unless your camera is faulty. Logical right?
    Quote Originally Posted by myloplex
    Manual Mode
    AE not available .. ie cannot press <*>
    Thus how to 'lock' the exposure based one area and recompose ?

  16. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meng
    when u recompose in Manual Mode, the shutter and aperture values don't change, so the exposure is locked as long as you don't change the settings. Even if you move to a very dark or very bright area, the settings will stay as it is, unless your camera is faulty. Logical right?

    Yup the shutter/aperture will stay, but your exposure leve -2 to +1 will definately change esp if you move from a bright to dark level.

    You focus on an area your exposure indicator can be "0" but if you recompose the shot the exposure indicator will change mah ...then how ?

  17. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myloplex
    Yup the shutter/aperture will stay, but your exposure leve -2 to +1 will definately change esp if you move from a bright to dark level.

    You focus on an area your exposure indicator can be "0" but if you recompose the shot the exposure indicator will change mah ...then how ?


    Seriously think you need to do some reading, else how to be main photographer for your friend's wedding this saturday? This is a good start,

    http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/phot...umon/index.htm



  18. #18

    Default

    togu is right.
    I think we had done the explanation. It's your turn to read and think now. Do not think too much about the techicalities sometimes, instead think of the logical aspect.
    I'm no expert myself, but sometimes I rely on my instinct and brain to decide and decipher.
    Quote Originally Posted by myloplex
    Yup the shutter/aperture will stay, but your exposure leve -2 to +1 will definately change esp if you move from a bright to dark level.

    You focus on an area your exposure indicator can be "0" but if you recompose the shot the exposure indicator will change mah ...then how ?

  19. #19

    Default

    myloplex, read this carefully by Noir

    Quote Originally Posted by Noir
    The reason why u are getting this in Manual mode is because the light meter in the camera is trying to indicate the amount of f-stop(s) you are under or over-exposing your shot when u r trying the various combinations of shutter and iris settings. And really, a good thing to do is to RTFM before using an unfamiliar camera, then u can go on and read up or ask for opinions on further, more in-depth, queries.

  20. #20
    Member patch17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    here and there
    Posts
    728

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by myloplex
    Yup the shutter/aperture will stay, but your exposure leve -2 to +1 will definately change esp if you move from a bright to dark level.

    You focus on an area your exposure indicator can be "0" but if you recompose the shot the exposure indicator will change mah ...then how ?
    In manual mode, you set the aperture and you set the shutter speed. In this mode, all the blinking lights you see in the view finder are just for show, ignore them.
    Today is a gift; that's why it's called the present.
    The toys

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •