Thread: 430 exmkii

Default 430 exmkii

Hi all CSers, I have just bought a 430EXII to pair it off with my 450D.
    Finished reading the manual. But I just couldn't understand how exactly to use it (pardon my noobness as i just started out on photography 3 months back).

1) I realised that when set to Av mode, although flash gun fires...but the camera doesn't register that there's a flash attached it and keep giving me shutter speed like 5secs. Why is that so? I gotta set camera to M mode (so as to increase the shutter speed)

2) ETTL mode meaning fully automatic? I can't set the power of the flash (i.e. 1/64 to 1/1).

3) What is the wide panel being used for?

I am so confused by my new toy. Haiz.

Default Re: 430 exmkii

1) Av mode meters for the ambient light and the flash only acts as a fill.
    2) Set to the flash to manual mode.
    3) To get a wider beam coverage when using ultra-wide lenses..

Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    1) Av mode meters for the ambient light and the flash only acts as a fill.
    2) Set to the flash to manual mode.
    3) To get a wider beam coverage when using ultra-wide lenses..
    so does it means that Av mode is sort of un-usable when i'm using flash as there is no way to adjust for shutter speed.

not entirely true, your shutter speed affects your ambient light, so if you're getting 5 secs speeds just set the cam on a tripod and ask your subjects to keep still for that period.. conversely, you could handhold and get wacky light streaks and a frozen subject..

Quote Originally Posted by J-Chan View Post
    not entirely true, your shutter speed affects your ambient light, so if you're getting 5 secs speeds just set the cam on a tripod and ask your subjects to keep still for that period.. conversely, you could handhold and get wacky light streaks and a frozen subject..
    ok. thanks.
    will go try experience it tonight.

btw...any "recommended settings" that is universal? wanna try something simple b4 i go into fully manual mode.

if i were to go into some places with high ceiling, which i cant bounce the light off ceiling...usually what will u all do?