Thread: Conversation of the fortunes.

Default Conversation of the fortunes.

Hi..Please Critique on the exposure of the picture..was at little india just now..

Basically showing a fortune-teller having a conversation with his Fotune-telling bird..
    Very bright day this morning..very new with photography..

How would you take this pic to make it clearer? Taken at 1/250 F5.6 at 35mm iso was at 400...should i have set the iso to 100 or 200?..cos that area was pretty dark..used a a200 with kit lens too..

Last edited by ardnirun; 22nd November 2008 at 12:36 PM.
    The Few...The PROUD...

Default Re: Conversation of the fortunes.

To me, only shows he's lookin at the bird so dun fit your title. Contrast looks flat, using fill flash will be better and think if you wait for a scene showing him and the customer with the bird pickin up the card will be more in tune to the title

IMO, i think that the subject is a lil dark/underexposed and your super bright background came as rather striking. and the theme and pic didnt really match for me...

why not
    - shift your perspective and exclude the sunlight area. more of a top-down angle may be better?
    - a tighter crop removing some right space.
    - capture a better moment, like something is in 'more action', like what lifepursuer said, when the bird is picking out cards
    - close the gap betwn the fortune teller and the parrot to better portray a 'conversation'

few cents worth...
    Tousand Word - A thousand words not read but seen, not seen but felt, not felt but experienced

thanks...my compositions fall short of what i intended most of the time..will work harder..
    maybe i should have used abit of flash..but wonder what the people's reaction would be when they would see the flash...scared that the bird would fly off too..would exposure locking proved of much help in making the fortune teller more exposed?Maybe I should have removed the polarizing filter i had on too..
    Last edited by ardnirun; 22nd November 2008 at 01:24 PM.
    The Few...The PROUD...

the dynamic range here is painful, no matter how you shoot it you are going to end up with one big patch of blown highlights because of the nature of the scene.

so how do you avoid this? where does the bright light fall? would a simple shift in your position remove the problem of the blown highlights? (although, of course, the perspective would change?)