Thread: banning of Half-Life in Singapore

Quite a few misinformed comments and outdated facts here...heh.

Such as:

"if you do something as petty as intentionally scratching a car with a coin, you can get whipped in public. "

He must have read about this in the late 80s-90s.

"Traditionally, Singapore has always been very open and permissive to foreign firms, putting up next to no restrictions. Foreign firms have flocked in droves to set up headquarters in Singapore. As a result, Singapore is perhaps the most prosperous of the Newly-Industrialising Countries, with a growth rate above 15%"

There another funny comment from a reader saying that Neon Genesis Evangelion should be banned rather than Halflife for being satanic.

Deregistered

Lame.

If they really ban this game. I believe more real violent will happen and more pirated will happen in the country for this game.

This will even worse! This is one of the best shooting game come before Doom III release.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerstorer
    Quite a few misinformed comments and outdated facts here...heh.

Such as:

"if you do something as petty as intentionally scratching a car with a coin, you can get whipped in public. "

He must have read about this in the late 80s-90s.

"Traditionally, Singapore has always been very open and permissive to foreign firms, putting up next to no restrictions. Foreign firms have flocked in droves to set up headquarters in Singapore. As a result, Singapore is perhaps the most prosperous of the Newly-Industrialising Countries, with a growth rate above 15%"

There another funny comment from a reader saying that Neon Genesis Evangelion should be banned rather than Halflife for being satanic.

Wow this banning thing is super old already....

i don't think the goverment is doing anyhting to ban HL anymore.

currently it's actually promoting gaming to a certain degree.
    1stJournal - Painting your life journals since 2008
    Email / Facebook / Instagram

Hello people, that article is very very very old. Half Life was banned in Singapore a few years ago and ban lifted shortly.

Unless you were in Pri school then, you may not have recalled what happened. Too young I guess. <just kidding!>

Default history

I thought this news is up many years ago??

current affairs indeed...

"Friday 4th February 2000

SINGAPORE HALF-LIFE BAN LIFTED

11:16 It's been reported that Singapore's Films and publications Department has lifted its country-wide ban on sales of Valve's award-winning shooter, Half-Life. The government reportedly felt the title exposed minors to excessive amounts of violence, however after consultation with the Ministry of Information and the Arts felt that perhaps it was OK after all."

nice piece of history article you got there ...

Wonder if they will try and ban Half life 2 also.

Quote Originally Posted by reno77
    Wonder if they will try and ban Half life 2 also.
    you think?

btw, do you guys know the actual story behind the ban? hehheh...

Must be some parents complaining in the forum page about their children playing violent games.

Quote Originally Posted by wacko
    you think?

btw, do you guys know the actual story behind the ban? hehheh...

So who thought it was current and actually went to sign the petition?

The real story behind it is...
    A mother caught her son( 13- 14 yrs old) playing HL in Javatech (closed already) at Serene Centre, and when she saw a head on the monitor after her son got blown up, she complained to the Gov and 5 days later, Javatech got their HL copies confiscated. followed by the rest of the lan shops....

Maybe the mother should go get her child to install ChessMaster 9000 in the PC and only allowed to play that game.
    (or maybe just MineSweeper, Hearts and Soliatre )

Heck, even some chess games are violent, with animated 'knights' dicing up the enemy 'pawn'.

S?x and Viol?nc? sells. I think there is so much of it in the TV and movies that there is only 1 or 2 'G' rated Disney or Dreamworkz films in a year.

Quote Originally Posted by PureBull
    The real story behind it is...
    A mother caught her son( 13- 14 yrs old) playing HL in Javatech (closed already) at Serene Centre, and when she saw a head on the monitor after her son got blown up, she complained to the Gov and 5 days later, Javatech got their HL copies confiscated. followed by the rest of the lan shops....
    not quite it...

yes, a young student was involved, but the rest is quite off...

OT: Always like the way these editors or authors write quote "I haven't actually been to Singapore myself - but I have flown on their airline once" or something like that. don't know can I coin a new term and call this the "Mountain Tortoise Showoff - MTS" syndrome?