Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Considerations for setting EV step in DSLR

  1. #1

    Default Considerations for setting EV step in DSLR

    Hi,
    I own the D70s DSLR. Lately, I've gone back to read my camera's manual in a bid to understand it's functions better for shooting in manual.

    I came across the section where is it shows the camera having the function in the menu to set the EV step to 1/2 or 1/3.

    Since this affects the electronic exposure display when we adjust either the shutter speed or aperture, what is the difference between these 2 settings? Does setting to 1/3(or 1/2) mean that with each stop of increment/reduction of shutter speed or aperture, I'm increasing/reducing light/speed by 1/3(or 1/2)?

    The default EV step would be 1/3?

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Considerations for setting EV step in DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by vinvin View Post
    Hi,
    I own the D70s DSLR. Lately, I've gone back to read my camera's manual in a bid to understand it's functions better for shooting in manual.

    I came across the section where is it shows the camera having the function in the menu to set the EV step to 1/2 or 1/3.

    Since this affects the electronic exposure display when we adjust either the shutter speed or aperture, what is the difference between these 2 settings? Does setting to 1/3(or 1/2) mean that with each stop of increment/reduction of shutter speed or aperture, I'm increasing/reducing light/speed by 1/3(or 1/2)?

    The default EV step would be 1/3?

    Thanks.
    Personally, I prefer 1/3 steps as it gives more room to control for minor adjustments. But if you're the sort who goes by full stop corrections, the 1/2 step may be faster.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  3. #3

    Default Re: Considerations for setting EV step in DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Personally, I prefer 1/3 steps as it gives more room to control for minor adjustments. But if you're the sort who goes by full stop corrections, the 1/2 step may be faster.
    Ok thanks. I noticed that if I set to 1/2 step, the F-stops go (for example) from F8 -> F9.5 -> F11 -> F13 -> F16. For setting at 1/3 step, the F-stops go from F8 -> F9 -> F10 -> F11 -> F13 -> F14 -> F16 on my camera. Is the 1/2 step here similar to the '1/2' stop from F8 to F16?

    A bit blur about this.

  4. #4
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Considerations for setting EV step in DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by vinvin View Post
    Ok thanks. I noticed that if I set to 1/2 step, the F-stops go (for example) from F8 -> F9.5 -> F11 -> F13 -> F16. For setting at 1/3 step, the F-stops go from F8 -> F9 -> F10 -> F11 -> F13 -> F14 -> F16 on my camera. Is the 1/2 step here similar to the '1/2' stop from F8 to F16?

    A bit blur about this.
    half step is 1/2 stop
    one third step is 1/3 stop
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  5. #5

    Default Re: Considerations for setting EV step in DSLR

    it's personal preference

    i like 1/2 stops, because they give cooler numbers that are usually more commonly seen in exif data.

    simply put, if you put in 1/3 stops, then you would take 3 adjustments to get from f/8 to f/11. if you put in 1/2 stops, then you just need 2 adjustments.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Considerations for setting EV step in DSLR

    Quote Originally Posted by vinvin View Post
    Ok thanks. I noticed that if I set to 1/2 step, the F-stops go (for example) from F8 -> F9.5 -> F11 -> F13 -> F16. For setting at 1/3 step, the F-stops go from F8 -> F9 -> F10 -> F11 -> F13 -> F14 -> F16 on my camera. Is the 1/2 step here similar to the '1/2' stop from F8 to F16?

    A bit blur about this.
    For example, from F8 to F11 is one full stop. If you set your increment to 1/2 stop, it take you 2 steps to jump from F8 to F11 (hence F8->F9.5->F11). If you set your increment to 1/3 stop, it take you 3 steps to jump from F8 to F11 (hence F8->F9->F10->F11)

    I myself prefer 1/2 stops or even 1 full stop increment, so it take me less time to adjust the setting. In film era, there are usually only full stop adjustment, 1/2 stop can be done by move the barrel slightly between two stops.

  7. #7
    Moderator catchlights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Punggol, Singapore
    Posts
    21,902

    Default Re: Considerations for setting EV step in DSLR

    when you come from the day of film photography, shooting with 35mm manual camera, you notice there is no such thing as 1/3 stop.

    on 35mm slide, the exposure results 1/3 stop different are not very much compare to 1/2 stop.

    1/3 stop exposure difference is only visible when you shooting larger format camera with slide film.

    nowadays, on digital, we can tell clearly the exposure difference of a 1/3 stop.

    so to have one third step or half step, is your personal preference.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

  8. #8

    Default Re: Considerations for setting EV step in DSLR

    Got it! Thanks everyone for explaining and setting my understanding right.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •