Thread: Considerations for setting EV step in DSLR

Default Considerations for setting EV step in DSLR

Hi,
    I own the D70s DSLR. Lately, I've gone back to read my camera's manual in a bid to understand it's functions better for shooting in manual.

I came across the section where is it shows the camera having the function in the menu to set the EV step to 1/2 or 1/3.

Since this affects the electronic exposure display when we adjust either the shutter speed or aperture, what is the difference between these 2 settings? Does setting to 1/3(or 1/2) mean that with each stop of increment/reduction of shutter speed or aperture, I'm increasing/reducing light/speed by 1/3(or 1/2)?

The default EV step would be 1/3?

Thanks.

Default Re: Considerations for setting EV step in DSLR

Quote Originally Posted by vinvin View Post
    Hi,
    I own the D70s DSLR. Lately, I've gone back to read my camera's manual in a bid to understand it's functions better for shooting in manual.

I came across the section where is it shows the camera having the function in the menu to set the EV step to 1/2 or 1/3.

Since this affects the electronic exposure display when we adjust either the shutter speed or aperture, what is the difference between these 2 settings? Does setting to 1/3(or 1/2) mean that with each stop of increment/reduction of shutter speed or aperture, I'm increasing/reducing light/speed by 1/3(or 1/2)?

The default EV step would be 1/3?

Thanks.
    Personally, I prefer 1/3 steps as it gives more room to control for minor adjustments. But if you're the sort who goes by full stop corrections, the 1/2 step may be faster.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Personally, I prefer 1/3 steps as it gives more room to control for minor adjustments. But if you're the sort who goes by full stop corrections, the 1/2 step may be faster.
    Ok thanks. I noticed that if I set to 1/2 step, the F-stops go (for example) from F8 -> F9.5 -> F11 -> F13 -> F16. For setting at 1/3 step, the F-stops go from F8 -> F9 -> F10 -> F11 -> F13 -> F14 -> F16 on my camera. Is the 1/2 step here similar to the '1/2' stop from F8 to F16?

A bit blur about this.

Ok thanks. I noticed that if I set to 1/2 step, the F-stops go (for example) from F8 -> F9.5 -> F11 -> F13 -> F16. For setting at 1/3 step, the F-stops go from F8 -> F9 -> F10 -> F11 -> F13 -> F14 -> F16 on my camera. Is the 1/2 step here similar to the '1/2' stop from F8 to F16?

A bit blur about this.
    half step is 1/2 stop
    one third step is 1/3 stop
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

it's personal preference

i like 1/2 stops, because they give cooler numbers that are usually more commonly seen in exif data.

simply put, if you put in 1/3 stops, then you would take 3 adjustments to get from f/8 to f/11. if you put in 1/2 stops, then you just need 2 adjustments.

A bit blur about this.
    For example, from F8 to F11 is one full stop. If you set your increment to 1/2 stop, it take you 2 steps to jump from F8 to F11 (hence F8->F9.5->F11). If you set your increment to 1/3 stop, it take you 3 steps to jump from F8 to F11 (hence F8->F9->F10->F11)

I myself prefer 1/2 stops or even 1 full stop increment, so it take me less time to adjust the setting. In film era, there are usually only full stop adjustment, 1/2 stop can be done by move the barrel slightly between two stops.

when you come from the day of film photography, shooting with 35mm manual camera, you notice there is no such thing as 1/3 stop.

on 35mm slide, the exposure results 1/3 stop different are not very much compare to 1/2 stop.

1/3 stop exposure difference is only visible when you shooting larger format camera with slide film.

nowadays, on digital, we can tell clearly the exposure difference of a 1/3 stop.

so to have one third step or half step, is your personal preference.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Got it! Thanks everyone for explaining and setting my understanding right.