Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using netbook?

Default Re: Anyone using netbook?

What are you planning to use it for? Netbooks are exactly what they say they are. Used for short stints on the computer or internet on the go when you just cannot stand to use the tiny phone screen.

Lenovo S10 update: The S10 with 6 Cell battery is apparently on sale at SITEX for $799.

MSI wind U110 2GB, 160Hdd, 6 cells $729.
    MSI wind U110 1GB, 160Hdd, 6 cells $699

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseme View Post
    Do you think is it sufficient to use a Netbook to do a Engineering Part time Degree Course? Please put up your hands.
    Get a proper laptop/desktop man!

Quote Originally Posted by Evilmerlin View Post
    What are you planning to use it for? Netbooks are exactly what they say they are. Used for short stints on the computer or internet on the go when you just cannot stand to use the tiny phone screen.

Lenovo S10 update: The S10 with 6 Cell battery is apparently on sale at SITEX for
    $799.
    What configuration does the S10 with 6 cell battery on sale at SITEX?
    Does it comes near to the MSI Wind U110 with 2GB Ram and a 160GB Hard Drive?

Anyone been to Sitex to check out the differences? Look like netbooks are in hot
    competition among the manufacturers.

Cannot compare. $799 apparently only gets you 1GB of ram compared to the 2GB you get for the Wind.

If you don't need the Express Card slot, the Wind is a no brainer for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by cheeseme View Post
    Do you think is it sufficient to use a Netbook to do a Engineering Part time Degree Course? Please put up your hands.
    If you use it mainly for internet, email and MS office....why not? The mobility, battery life and the reliability on some of the SSD model get my vote For heavy number crunching stuffs....leave it at home desktop

I bought the eeepc 701sd for my travels. I use it to transfer photos from CF and SD card to portable HD, surf web wirelessly in hotel and review photos.

It is very cheap so losing it during travels will not cause too much heart pain.
    It is also very light weight so carrying it thru customs is not so painful.

If you are not in a hurry, dual core atoms will eventually be coming out.

I have a eeepc 901 and it's obvious that you need to be patient with atom netbooks. Dual core will make netbooks close to regular notebooks. But if you do want a more powerful netbook, the sony small form factor notebooks are not bad.

If you're going to be doing engineering, you also may want to wait for the netbooks with dedicated graphics cards where you can take advantage of cuda technology.

Quote Originally Posted by azul123 View Post
    Well, one thing is I have 8 Notebooks at home, I am using a 15" screen size myself. I have 2 netbooks that I now find I want better specs.

When I travel I bring along my camera and Digicam (which incidently have a mini-HDMI port) why must HDMI connect to a large screen only?
    mmm... if u have so many notebooks, there are some ultraportable notebooks that weigh similar to netbooks and definitely capable of running photoshop.

I am using a 11.1" sony TZ. 1.2kg, 5-6 hours battery life. I think there are some 8.9" models from fujitsu P series, 1280 x 768 resolution.
    http://www.fujitsu.com/sg/services/c...pseries/p1630/

I think nowadays notebooks has like 3 years warranty so it is ok to get one that fits all your needs rather than change every year. For me I think the TZ can be brought along for my travels, the screen is great. It is light, good battery life, DVD player to watch DVD on plane, fast CPU for my needs. Something that I can use for 3 years with no need to upgrade.
    Last edited by pisduck; 2nd December 2008 at 06:05 AM.

Hi, I've joined the club also, brand new owner of a Acer Aspire One here. Got the 160GB, 6 cell battery version at Sitex (spur of the moment bbb lol)

1st impressions: great little tool, light weight and compact. Battery life is superb, almost 6 hours on a full charge (for doing normal stuff like surfing etc.)

Gripes: yes, the small screen...got to get used to it after using big monitors at work and at home.

Anyways, just asking netbook owners, is there any discernable difference in screen size btw the 8.9" and 10.2" models? Although almost all sharing the same 1024x600 screen res. Now after using the Aspire One for a while I feel tat should have gone for the 10.2" screen one. The fonts are quite difficult to read sometimes and can feel the strain after awhile. (maybe I'm just not used to it tho).

Quote Originally Posted by dorts View Post
    Got an Acer Aspire One. Photoshop runs fine. Slow but usable. The problem is not speed, but screen size. Too small.
    Yes that is what my main gripe is too....I am still trying to get used to it. Speed is ok for me so far, I haven't installed big apps like PS yet tho.

Yup agree...if want bigger screen or for driving intensive applications like PS or photo-editing, get a notebook or laptop instead. For me my basic criteria is that a netbook shld be cheap (not more than ~$600 for me), functional and easy to bring around. The Acer Aspire One fulfills all that.

Lenovo S10 update: The S10 with 6 Cell battery is apparently on sale at SITEX for $799.
    Apparently what I heard from hwz forums is that some of the vendors were offering the Lenovo S10 with 6 cell battery for $699 over the weekend. But the black ver. sold out fast, leaving only white available. Would have gotten it if I knew abt it earlier.
    Last edited by Garion; 2nd December 2008 at 09:20 AM.

Default Netbooks...

Just gotten myself a netbook and its surpisingly usable (mine's running Windows XP but you can install a bunch of other OSes on it). Its also small enough to chuck into your camera bag for the outdoor shoot. Best of all is that its not too heavy and long on battery life. Definitely good for backing up your photos while your shoot. I am sure it would work tethered to your DSLR too.

Anyone else using these netbooks?

Default Re: Netbooks...

See thread here...

Anyways long time no see...still shooting?

thinking of getting one too.

just curious, does it slows down by a whole lot once anti-virus scanners are installed?

Ah Garion! Didn't know that a thread has already been started. Will join in.

Have been busy with my son (about 2 yrs old) so most of my photography is on him...

I am using AVG and its running ok.

Norton will slow it down to a crawl.....

Quote Originally Posted by satay16 View Post
    thinking of getting one too.

just curious, does it slows down by a whole lot once anti-virus scanners are installed?

Talking Re: Anyone using netbook?

Quote Originally Posted by felixcat8888 View Post
    How about the ASUS eeePC1000H? 10.0" screen. Quite fast too. Just helped a friend load MS Office onto it and it took only 10 mins. Surfing is fast too.
    Yup....me also bought the 1000H with E Gear DVD RW USB....shiok!!
    D800|24~120mm VR|AF VR 80~400mm ED |SB900|50mm F1.8|CD 2X2|FL-360|FastPack 350/Sony RX100M3

Hi Garion, swinging over to this thread...

I got the Lenovo S10 at sitex. Been looking around for a netbook for a while. I got mine at $679 with 2gb ram and also 6 cell. All three colors were available but I got the white one. Not sure why the demand for black was that great.

I do not intend to install heavy apps on the little netbook. Only have photoshop elements, free avg anti virus, free zome alarm, and office suit on it. The screen (10.2") is actually too small to be efficient in actual picture editing over a period of time. But for text editing, its ok.

Blog Entries

thread merged

Quote Originally Posted by Zplus View Post
    Ah Garion! Didn't know that a thread has already been started. Will join in.

Have been busy with my son (about 2 yrs old) so most of my photography is on him...
    Cool! Must post some pics of him leh.

I am using AVG and its running ok.
    I'm using AVG also, so far so good.

I got the Lenovo S10 at sitex. Been looking around for a netbook for a while. I got mine at $679 with 2gb ram and also 6 cell. All three colors were available but I got the white one. Not sure why the demand for black was that great.
    Thats a very good deal! You got it on the last day? Now wishing I had looked around Sitex a bit more before buying, kinda regret my impulse buy of the Acer now.

I do not intend to install heavy apps on the little netbook. Only have photoshop elements, free avg anti virus, free zome alarm, and office suit on it. The screen (10.2") is actually too small to be efficient in actual picture editing over a period of time. But for text editing, its ok.
    For me also I intend to use it for light stuff...photo viewing ok but prolly not photo editing (if u think 10.2" is bad, try 8.9"...lol)...and perhaps some basic word processing as well. Just wondering anyone using Open Office suite on your netbook, does it run/work ok?

I did a side by side comparison of Acer Aspire One and Lenovo S10 at Funan recently... the screen size does have quite a significant difference....even to the casual eye the Lenovo's is obviously slightly bigger...but then again its still pretty small compared to the standard notebooks out there. But my one piece of advice for anyone looking to get a netbook is to do a hands on comparison btw all the models first (just like camera bodies), before you take the plunge. Though most netbooks have similar looking specs (e,g sharing same processor and onboard graphics chipset and resolution), there are subtle differences between the various manufacturers offerings...so best to compare, and try before you buy.
    Last edited by Garion; 8th December 2008 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AxeLa View Post
    Yup....me also bought the 1000H with E Gear DVD RW USB....shiok!!
    Is the E Gear DVD RW USB an external DVD drive? How much does it cost?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast