Thread: Shooting at school hall - advise needed

Default Shooting at school hall - advise needed

Hi,

I am new to photography and my son's childcare is hold their concert in a school hall. Want to capture some nice shoot (hopefully) of him in his first ever concert involvement.

I am using D60, 18-55mm VR, 55-200mm VR, SB-600.

I guess I will be using the 55-200mm VR more often since I doubt I can get too close to the stage.

Do I need to use flash? If yes, do you think the ceiling in a school hall is to high to bounce? Or good enough? If too high, should I use a bounce card? Diffuser needed?

Looking forward to your advise. Thanks.

Regards,
    KELTONG

Default Re: Shooting at school hall - advise needed

shoot straight forward since u can't get close and high celling with yr 55-200.

Try diffuser on and off to see the harshness of the flash.

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    shoot straight forward since u can't get close and high celling with yr 55-200.

Try diffuser on and off to see the harshness of the flash.
    Thanks...in the event if I can fight my way to the front to be near the stage, what should I do?

Quote Originally Posted by keltong View Post
    Thanks...in the event if I can fight my way to the front to be near the stage, what should I do?
    go upfront, change to wide angle. flash forward.. if too harsh then turn flash head up 45 deg else 90 deg. remember to increase ev on yr flash when pointing up.

You got to do your own trial and error on the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    go upfront, change to wide angle. flash forward.. if too harsh then turn flash head up 45 deg else 90 deg. remember to increase ev on yr flash when pointing up.

You got to do your own trial and error on the spot.
    Ok...maybe I try and go slightly early to test out and recce the place. Find a good spot.

the last time i helped my sister to cover her daughter's kindergarten graduation celebration, and her daughter was performing in a school hall, which was quite big and had a rather dim lighted stage. I went to the place where i was most likely to be standing, and started to play around with the combinations and positions of my speedlight.

got the correct exposure after a few shots, and i stuck with that setting after that.

had to boost the flash EV to +1.0 cos it was too far.. and i used a bounce card when i was up closer to them. i used direct when i was standing bout 5m away from the edge of the stage. if direct is too harsh, maybe can dry the glass diffuser (is that wat u call it) that can slide in and out of the SB-600, if you are using this one.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    the last time i helped my sister to cover her daughter's kindergarten graduation celebration, and her daughter was performing in a school hall, which was quite big and had a rather dim lighted stage. I went to the place where i was most likely to be standing, and started to play around with the combinations and positions of my speedlight.

got the correct exposure after a few shots, and i stuck with that setting after that.

had to boost the flash EV to +1.0 cos it was too far.. and i used a bounce card when i was up closer to them. i used direct when i was standing bout 5m away from the edge of the stage. if direct is too harsh, maybe can dry the glass diffuser (is that wat u call it) that can slide in and out of the SB-600, if you are using this one.
    Ok...looks like key thing is to go early and try out different settings...hope I am up to it.

Err...what is this glass diffuser?

Quote Originally Posted by keltong View Post
    Ok...looks like key thing is to go early and try out different settings...hope I am up to it.

Err...what is this glass diffuser?
    This piece numbered #1

Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Personally, go closer and direct flash with dialed down flash ev compensation.

You'd need to test a few at different distances to get the hang of it.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site