Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Shooting at school hall - advise needed

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    115

    Default Shooting at school hall - advise needed

    Hi,

    I am new to photography and my son's childcare is hold their concert in a school hall. Want to capture some nice shoot (hopefully) of him in his first ever concert involvement.

    I am using D60, 18-55mm VR, 55-200mm VR, SB-600.

    I guess I will be using the 55-200mm VR more often since I doubt I can get too close to the stage.

    Do I need to use flash? If yes, do you think the ceiling in a school hall is to high to bounce? Or good enough? If too high, should I use a bounce card? Diffuser needed?

    Looking forward to your advise. Thanks.

    Regards,
    KELTONG

  2. #2
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Re: Shooting at school hall - advise needed

    shoot straight forward since u can't get close and high celling with yr 55-200.

    Try diffuser on and off to see the harshness of the flash.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: Shooting at school hall - advise needed

    Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    shoot straight forward since u can't get close and high celling with yr 55-200.

    Try diffuser on and off to see the harshness of the flash.
    Thanks...in the event if I can fight my way to the front to be near the stage, what should I do?

  4. #4
    Senior Member jnet6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    not here often anymore
    Posts
    8,169

    Default Re: Shooting at school hall - advise needed

    Quote Originally Posted by keltong View Post
    Thanks...in the event if I can fight my way to the front to be near the stage, what should I do?
    go upfront, change to wide angle. flash forward.. if too harsh then turn flash head up 45 deg else 90 deg. remember to increase ev on yr flash when pointing up.

    You got to do your own trial and error on the spot.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: Shooting at school hall - advise needed

    Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    go upfront, change to wide angle. flash forward.. if too harsh then turn flash head up 45 deg else 90 deg. remember to increase ev on yr flash when pointing up.

    You got to do your own trial and error on the spot.
    Ok...maybe I try and go slightly early to test out and recce the place. Find a good spot.

  6. #6
    Member luntut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Punggol
    Posts
    1,883

    Default Re: Shooting at school hall - advise needed

    the last time i helped my sister to cover her daughter's kindergarten graduation celebration, and her daughter was performing in a school hall, which was quite big and had a rather dim lighted stage. I went to the place where i was most likely to be standing, and started to play around with the combinations and positions of my speedlight.

    got the correct exposure after a few shots, and i stuck with that setting after that.

    had to boost the flash EV to +1.0 cos it was too far.. and i used a bounce card when i was up closer to them. i used direct when i was standing bout 5m away from the edge of the stage. if direct is too harsh, maybe can dry the glass diffuser (is that wat u call it) that can slide in and out of the SB-600, if you are using this one.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Sembawang
    Posts
    115

    Default Re: Shooting at school hall - advise needed

    Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    the last time i helped my sister to cover her daughter's kindergarten graduation celebration, and her daughter was performing in a school hall, which was quite big and had a rather dim lighted stage. I went to the place where i was most likely to be standing, and started to play around with the combinations and positions of my speedlight.

    got the correct exposure after a few shots, and i stuck with that setting after that.

    had to boost the flash EV to +1.0 cos it was too far.. and i used a bounce card when i was up closer to them. i used direct when i was standing bout 5m away from the edge of the stage. if direct is too harsh, maybe can dry the glass diffuser (is that wat u call it) that can slide in and out of the SB-600, if you are using this one.
    Ok...looks like key thing is to go early and try out different settings...hope I am up to it.

    Err...what is this glass diffuser?

  8. #8
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Shooting at school hall - advise needed

    Quote Originally Posted by keltong View Post
    Ok...looks like key thing is to go early and try out different settings...hope I am up to it.

    Err...what is this glass diffuser?
    This piece numbered #1

    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

  9. #9
    Senior Member zac08's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    East
    Posts
    11,755

    Default Re: Shooting at school hall - advise needed

    Personally, go closer and direct flash with dialed down flash ev compensation.

    You'd need to test a few at different distances to get the hang of it.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •