Thread: [NEWS] CD-Rs deliver degrading experience

Question [NEWS] CD-Rs deliver degrading experience

Back to tape?

I hoped not. better print your fav photos on Kodak / Fuji / Konica paper to be safe....

The article

Long time CDR users should already be aware of this. In general, the newer "High Speed" >20X CDRs seem less resistant than the old 2X, 4X CDRs made years ago. Might be related to the fact that higher speed CDRs have more voilatile dyes in order to be able to written at high speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Lensman
    Back to tape?

I hoped not. better print your fav photos on Kodak / Fuji / Konica paper to be safe....

The article
    oh man...i've got tons of CD-Rs...copying all of them will cost me like...$100+!!!
    =(

Time to get that DVD-R drive, and stock up on good DVD-Rs discs while you're at it. =P

Quote Originally Posted by YSLee
    Time to get that DVD-R drive, and stock up on good DVD-Rs discs while you're at it. =P
    Do they last longer than CD-Rs?

I dunno, that was a tounge-in-cheek comment. It might, or it might not. Heh.

" Unfortunately, the article seems to focus on white label CD-Rs, and doesn't mention any premium brands that performed well."

- How do 'GOLD' CD-Rs perform ?

heehee, digital camera users nightmare, as I have anticipated months ago: Is Digital Photography safe?

Quote Originally Posted by YSLee
    I dunno, that was a tounge-in-cheek comment. It might, or it might not. Heh.
    Well, i'm hoping to get a dvd writer at the end of the year, hopefully they will be more reliable than CD-Rs.

Spend a bit more and buy the branded disks e.g. TDK, Sony, Vebatim, etc rather than those with funny names. You would have at least some peace of mind about its reliability. Am speaking thru personal experience when dealing with mainframe computer disks and tapes then.

Anyway have already been backing up my data on DVD+RW .. so far so good.

I guess the general rule is you pay for what you get.

When I got my CDRW drive last Dec, I bought some A-branded CD-R / RW disc. Tot it was cheap & that I was a bit broke after buying the drive.

Over the months, I have so many error writing to the disc that I almost return the drive back to the shop.

A friend recommended that I use those "better" media. Got myself an Imation 40X CD-R. Been a long while and I havn't any problem. Now I am gunning for some small qty of RW disc, for sending them to the lab for photo prints.....

A little more goes a long long way.