Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: what lens are good for Portrait and wedding shots?

Default Re: what lens are good for Portrait and wedding shots?

Talk to 2 wedding photographers, they recommend the 17-50 instead of 28-75 since most weddings at HDB house are small; u need wider angle.

Spare flash & body & lens is important for a wedding photographer in case of any equipment failures.

Quote Originally Posted by mutant View Post
    Talk to 2 wedding photographers, they recommend the 17-50 instead of 28-75 since most weddings at HDB house are small; u need wider angle.

Spare flash & body & lens is important for a wedding photographer in case of any equipment failures.
    Sometimes may need 12-24...

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Yes for 2... the rest shoot as an extra

Considering extra body, but money is an issue
    Mai tu liao.... D90.. Then you can double up as the videographer also..

Quote Originally Posted by lsisaxon View Post
    Considering either the D300 or 700 only. No point to go back down to the 2 digit bodies IMO as I prefer CF cards anyway.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

ahahahah but only for 12 min or it is 20?

Quote Originally Posted by zac08 View Post
    Considering either the D300 or 700 only. No point to go back down to the 2 digit bodies IMO as I prefer CF cards anyway.
    got money? go for the D3 lah... if not D700 also can

Quote Originally Posted by MrJelly View Post
    After reading through all suggestions, can I conclude that either of these two combination will meet my needs with D80 body?

17-50mm f2.8
    50mm f1.8

Or

Tamron 28-75mm
    85mm f1.8
    Hmm... I was just wondering... If you're already getting the Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8, why the need for the 50mm f/1.8?

I was thinking more like:

85mm f/1.8

AND

Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8
    OR
    Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8

Then again, I'm afraid that such a configuration will bust your budget.

sorry OT a bit...

I know the Nikon 18-200 f3.5-5.6 VR is out of the TS budget

just wondering if anyone has used this lens to cover weddings and if it's a reasonable alternative (though not necessary equivalent) to the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 or the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 or the 24-70mm f2.8...

any thoughts about the 18-200? tks

Quote Originally Posted by enchantingmomentz View Post
    sorry OT a bit...

I know the Nikon 18-200 f3.5-5.6 VR is out of the TS budget

just wondering if anyone has used this lens to cover weddings and if it's a reasonable alternative (though not necessary equivalent) to the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 or the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 or the 24-70mm f2.8...

any thoughts about the 18-200? tks
    The 18-200mm VR is on its own a pretty fine lens but why a lot photographers choose the fixed aperture f2.8 lenses for events and weddings is because it is able to have a much shallower depth of field. The ability to be able to draw attention to your subject is pretty important under such circumstances.

The zooms at f2.8 also allows the photographer to zoom without worrying about the lack of light at the longer end and that allows him/her to use as much ambient light as possible. This is usually more crucial in the day than during the dinner as the dinner would usually require flash.

At the end of the day, VR is also no substitute for a fast glass. You maybe able to handhold to about say 1/15th of a sec at say 70mm on the 18-200mm VR, but if you subject moves just a little, good luck. Whereas at f2.8, you maybe able to shoot at around 1/60th or 1/100th of a second and that would certainly help.

But it does not mean that you should not or cannot use the 18-200mm VR for weddings. It is just that the 17-50mm, 17-55mm, 24-70mm are better alternatives.

what is the difference between Tamron with motor and non-motor?

Quote Originally Posted by MrJelly View Post
    what is the difference between Tamron with motor and non-motor?
    The most prominent difference is you can use the motor one on bodies that do not have in built motor like the D40.

There are more subtle differences like slight image quality, focusing speed, etc.

i would go for the 17-55mm, it was one of the most popular wedding lens and i believe its still is. but you must bear with the weight in addition to SB-800 and camera. Portrait definitely 85 f1.4 and/or 135 f2 dc, i used to own one and very excellent IQ with fantastic bokeh.

Thats my opinion.

tks for the nice explanation

Quote Originally Posted by azzurri View Post
    The 18-200mm VR is on its own a pretty fine lens but why a lot photographers choose the fixed aperture f2.8 lenses for events and weddings is because it is able to have a much shallower depth of field. The ability to be able to draw attention to your subject is pretty important under such circumstances.

The zooms at f2.8 also allows the photographer to zoom without worrying about the lack of light at the longer end and that allows him/her to use as much ambient light as possible. This is usually more crucial in the day than during the dinner as the dinner would usually require flash.

At the end of the day, VR is also no substitute for a fast glass. You maybe able to handhold to about say 1/15th of a sec at say 70mm on the 18-200mm VR, but if you subject moves just a little, good luck. Whereas at f2.8, you maybe able to shoot at around 1/60th or 1/100th of a second and that would certainly help.

But it does not mean that you should not or cannot use the 18-200mm VR for weddings. It is just that the 17-50mm, 17-55mm, 24-70mm are better alternatives.

Quote Originally Posted by woolman View Post
    ahahahah but only for 12 min or it is 20?
    It's only 5 minutes at 720p... you want 12 minutes at higher res you need to jump ship to Canon liao...
    ___BLUE_QUARTZ___
    Flickr | Ricoh GR

Quote Originally Posted by Piscus65 View Post
    i would go for the 17-55mm, it was one of the most popular wedding lens and i believe its still is. but you must bear with the weight in addition to SB-800 and camera. Portrait definitely 85 f1.4 and/or 135 f2 dc, i used to own one and very excellent IQ with fantastic bokeh.

Thats my opinion.
    The lenses will blow the TS's budget well over 5x!

i would like to check .. do wedding photographer use widest f-stop in almost all the wedding shots? I know for group photo need to pump higher

my wedding photographer used a 24-70, which I think is pretty appropriate to be used as an event lens..
    D200

I have 2 DX bodies for wedding coverage and used to try on Tamron 17-50 + Nikon 80-200 combo. But found out that 80-200 is way too long...
    Then I tried Tokina 12-24 + Tamron 17-50 and think it's good...
    Then, I coupled in Nikon 50mm (might try 85mm next time) to share body with Tokina 12-24, with Tamron 17-50 fixed on another body... works even better.

Well, one of my friend use Sigma 10-20 with another 50mm, which works pretty fine as well.
    思斌的部落格 - szeping.com
    Wedding/Event Photography - 10eyesGallery.com

Have a look at this website from UTOPIA http://www.utopia-photography.ch/lenses/lenses.html

Try a Tokina 28-70 F/2.8 lens, I think you can get a 2nd hand one here for around 450? Thats what I've seen, not sure about the first hand one tho. The 28-70 gives you a pretty decent range if your using a DX format with the crop factor of 1.5x.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast