Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 63

Thread: Ok, anyone heard of a newbie main wedding photographer?

  1. #41
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tsystem
    oops, forgot to add that the photog i mentioned, shot with a NIKON

    *tsystem runs away


    Gremlin, you can do it, just shoot how you like it, the couple will definitely appreciate you for it. You can do it. I know you can

  2. #42

    Default

    I think Gremlin, you should go with confidence. But not blind one. I assume you must have reasonable experience in taking pictures b4 with at least an SLR. That should do the trick for a start. Contrary to what some think, not every couple will expect high standards for the wedding day shoot. For some, they are just contended with their studio/outdoor shots which will be done by the pros. (Even then, I heard 1 story of a colleague's friend who wasn't satisfied with the quality. So much for being a so-called "pro".) Other than that, they just want to enjoy or go through the wedding ceremony, be it church and/or hotel dinner, without worrying too much about how professional the final product will turn out. As long as you capture some of the moments, that'll do. I assume too that's the case for you and your friend.

    What you need is a good zoom lens, at least 28mm-80mm, and external flash and you'll be on your way to doing your job. Don't forget sufficient number of films too. Typically 8 rolls of 36 exp is safe for the whole day. Be on your toes too for any good "action".

    Good luck!

  3. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by espn


    Gremlin, you can do it, just shoot how you like it, the couple will definitely appreciate you for it. You can do it. I know you can
    Espn....but Gremlin is shooting with a C@non, you sure he can?


    *tsystem vanishes........

  4. #44

    Default

    Thanks a million again people for all the invaluable tips. Parchiao, ur suggestion is great... only I cannot find any weddings currently to be a backup photog on

    Quote Originally Posted by tsystem
    Espn....but Gremlin is shooting with a C@non, you sure he can?


    *tsystem vanishes........
    tsystem

  5. #45
    Deregistered
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Planet Nikon
    Posts
    21,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tsystem
    Espn....but Gremlin is shooting with a C@non, you sure he can?


    *tsystem vanishes........
    Well, twiddle fingers, sweats some pearls of sweat, Mabbe after this he'll change to a Nikon?



    *espn migrates with tsystem

  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Punggol Drive
    Posts
    111

    Default Ok, anyone heard of a newbie main wedding photographer?

    Hi Gremlin, so when will you be doing the photo shoot?
    Or have you already done it?
    Please share you experience with us.

    Cheers

  7. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by emollientcolt
    Hi Gremlin, so when will you be doing the photo shoot?
    Or have you already done it?
    Please share you experience with us.

    Cheers
    The wedding is still a couple of weeks away. Will definitely share the hiccups and boo boos with you guys when its over

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    3,911

    Default

    You know, this was just screaming out for a rant from me about Singaporean couples (and photo buyers in general or lack thereof) which has led to the awful situation photography is in back in Singapore. For professionals making a living anyway.

    Nothing personal. Good luck Gremlin!

  9. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Punggol Drive
    Posts
    111

    Default Ok, anyone heard of a newbie main wedding photographer?

    hi gremlin, good luck for your assignment
    All the best to you.


  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    In the Shepherd's hands
    Posts
    690

    Default

    gremlin, hope you're still following this thread.
    Now, what I would like to know from some of the more experienced guys here, is
    what are the things to expect as a main photographer?
    What are the things I should prepare before the actual day?
    And on the day, what are the things I should watch out for?
    1. you can expect:
    a. unexpected requests for extra photos by relatives, etc.
    b. they expect you to know what to take, and how
    c. you have to direct people (politely)

    2. before the day:
    a. clarify what type of photos they want
    b. get everyone's contact nos. and addresses
    c. get as detailed a prog as poss.
    d. pre-plan the shots you want to take
    e. prepare your equipment
    f. prepare extra
    g. prepare backup
    h. pack them
    i. test them (esp. bounce cards, metering modes, DOF etc.)
    j. plan your own prog (travel times, routes)
    k. rest well

    3. on the day:
    a. dress well
    b. get there early
    c. eat before any event (even dinner)
    d. get to know the family & friends
    e. smile & respect others
    f. drink enough water
    g. predict moments and place yourself before they happen
    h. change nearly-full cards before a major sequence of events
    i. make sure people are not distracted (e.g. by other snappers) when you're taking group shots
    j. frequently take a step back and assess the big picture (you may concentrate too much on one aspect)
    k. watch out for distracting details
    l. relax and enjoy the happiness of the day
    m. watch your equipment (esp. in public places)
    n. take breaks, but remain alert for photo opportunities
    Last edited by d7t3; 23rd September 2003 at 08:51 AM.

  11. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by d7t3
    gremlin, hope you're still following this thread.1. you can expect:
    a. unexpected requests for extra photos by relatives, etc.
    b. they expect you to know what to take, and how
    c. you have to direct people (politely)

    2. before the day:
    a. clarify what type of photos they want
    b. get everyone's contact nos. and addresses
    c. get as detailed a prog as poss.
    d. pre-plan the shots you want to take
    e. prepare your equipment
    f. prepare extra
    g. prepare backup
    h. pack them
    i. test them (esp. bounce cards, metering modes, DOF etc.)
    j. plan your own prog (travel times, routes)
    k. rest well

    3. on the day:
    a. dress well
    b. get there early
    c. eat before any event (even dinner)
    d. get to know the family & friends
    e. smile & respect others
    f. drink enough water
    g. predict moments and place yourself before they happen
    h. change nearly-full cards before a major sequence of events
    i. make sure people are not distracted (e.g. by other snappers) when you're taking group shots
    j. frequently take a step back and assess the big picture (you may concentrate too much on one aspect)
    k. watch out for distracting details
    l. relax and enjoy the happiness of the day
    m. watch your equipment (esp. in public places)
    n. take breaks, but remain alert for photo opportunities

    Wow thanks alot man! Love your pointers...short and sweet Though I don't expect I'll experience much of point l on that day, I will try my best.

  12. #52
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Central Singaproe
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Not too much water, else you'll be looking for the toilet too early. Oh, and make sure if there is an opportunity to go, go.


    My own 0.02 cents worth
    regards

  13. #53
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    WAT? WAN TO STALK MI AH? LOLZ
    Posts
    1,916

    Default

    a wedding photog isnt a ez job.
    first.. most important is pre communications wif yr clientz..
    if it happens to be church wedding. there are a few things to bear in mind.

    not all churches allow flash and stuffz.. bla bla...
    usually i do a lot of slant shots for wedding.. some can accept.. Some canx...

    thus showing of portfolio is important too.. if they can adapt yr way of shooting.. then u r safe

  14. #54
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Clementi
    Posts
    6,580

    Default

    Gremlin sorry to ride on your thread but yeah..... I'm in the same predicament! I am also a first time wedding dinner photographer (early Dec). Love the pointers here especially the standard settings for the camera. Only problem is that I can't view my shots after taking........ cos I'll be shooting in film (Fuji Superia 800)...... feeling nervous..... but the part about pre-wedding conferencing is a very good point! Haiz...... my friend also say that no one will look at the photos after they get married, so they just want someone to record what took place at the dinner....... I dislike low light shooting..... intend to shoot 1 -2 rolls next month to test low light shooting.....

    Do let us know how u fared Gremlin. Your album looks good... but most of your shots are stills... shooting people as I found out (I covered a major scientific conference once) is an agony cos people dun know next to nothing about how a good photo needs some time to capture. They expect that if u carry a "pro-looking" SLR, then u should be able to snap perfect shots! Sighz........... impatience, impatience... just to let u know that people are mostly impatient when they are waiting for u to shoot.

    BTW, if u are shooting the dinner as well, u might want to visit the place first to gauge how u want the table shots to be taken from..... some retaurants have lots of mirrors (super irritating) and your flash will bounce all over if u shoot from the wrong direction........ hope this helps!

  15. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TME
    Gremlin sorry to ride on your thread but yeah..... I'm in the same predicament! I am also a first time wedding dinner photographer (early Dec). Love the pointers here especially the standard settings for the camera. Only problem is that I can't view my shots after taking........ cos I'll be shooting in film (Fuji Superia 800)...... feeling nervous..... but the part about pre-wedding conferencing is a very good point! Haiz...... my friend also say that no one will look at the photos after they get married, so they just want someone to record what took place at the dinner....... I dislike low light shooting..... intend to shoot 1 -2 rolls next month to test low light shooting.....

    Do let us know how u fared Gremlin. Your album looks good... but most of your shots are stills... shooting people as I found out (I covered a major scientific conference once) is an agony cos people dun know next to nothing about how a good photo needs some time to capture. They expect that if u carry a "pro-looking" SLR, then u should be able to snap perfect shots! Sighz........... impatience, impatience... just to let u know that people are mostly impatient when they are waiting for u to shoot.

    BTW, if u are shooting the dinner as well, u might want to visit the place first to gauge how u want the table shots to be taken from..... some retaurants have lots of mirrors (super irritating) and your flash will bounce all over if u shoot from the wrong direction........ hope this helps!
    Hey thanks man! Appreciate your pointers. You are right about shooting people not being easy. I guess I will just give it my best shot on that day

  16. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RuthBaby
    a wedding photog isnt a ez job.
    first.. most important is pre communications wif yr clientz..
    if it happens to be church wedding. there are a few things to bear in mind.

    not all churches allow flash and stuffz.. bla bla...
    usually i do a lot of slant shots for wedding.. some can accept.. Some canx...

    thus showing of portfolio is important too.. if they can adapt yr way of shooting.. then u r safe
    Thanks Ruth for the tips There will not be a church wedding. Actually the ceremony will be held at Rasa Sentosa at the lawn garden.

  17. #57
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default

    hmm i'm attending my friend's wedding at rasa sentosa too, next sat 4th oct... can't be so zhun rite? anyway i'm just attending, not shooting.

  18. #58

    Default

    OK guys, the wedding's this sat...

    Feeling , yet at the same time. Hopefully I will not on that day and myself. Actually things may look pretty straightforward but I still must about all the possible scenarios, if not, people will , my friend will be with me and I will go . This weekend is definitely not going to be a affair and I would probably get after the shoot. People may and at me since I am a newbie but I must remember to keep my .You guys have been an , givin me those advices and tips I am very to all of you. Well, lets hope Murphy's law will gimme a break and I will feel when all is over. As for my friend, here's wishing her forever

    Sorry...just need to destress myself...

  19. #59
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore / Japan / China
    Posts
    1,928

    Default

    good usage of the smilies....gd luck!

  20. #60
    Senior Member jOhO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,485

    Default

    with such creativity, i think ur photos will win awards!!!!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •