Thread: Scuba Courses - any recommendation?

Default Scuba Courses - any recommendation?

Hi All,

My wife and i are planning to take up scuba lessons.

Anyone with any to introduce?

Would be good if the fees are competitive, might be able to make up a group of 4.

Thanks!

Default Re: Scuba Courses - any recommendation?

haha you probably won't be able to take the course any time soon cos it's the monsoon season up in pulau dayang and tioman. that's where most local dive centres go for the weekend of diving. the season will open again some time around mid-february.

you have 2 options. one is to take the open water course in pulau hantu, which you can do any time. but the waters are murky and there isn't much to see. that said, it requires the least amount of time, and some people actually prefer doing it at hantu, then doing their advance course up in malaysia.

the last option is to go to places like phuket or bali, and do your open water course there! it's probably more expensive, but definitely a good experience becasue the waters there are so clear with lots of marine life.

in the meantime, keep yourselves motivated! hope to see you diving soon...it's such a whole new world down there
    ((=
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

My 2 cents, while it might cheaper and more convenient, try not to take your open water course in pulau hantu. The visibility and currents there might be a bit worrying for a learner.

One option is to look for centres which offers referal courses, this will involve theory and pool lessons locally.

You will receive a partial certification. You can take this certification to many other overseas dive centres, you can then complete your open water course with them.

Pros
    1) you do your open water theory locally at you own time
    2) you do not need to take part in the usual weekend rush up and back from malaysia
    3) you do not need to spend time on theory lessons should you choose to continue your course overseas.
    4) you can travel further away than Malaysia for the open water module.

TS..... !! Please please DON'T Ruin your very 1st open water dive at Pulau Hantu.... the Vis is bad most of the time (3-5m).... the water current could get tricky. There are some very interseting local marine life at Hantu, but as a 1st timer..... I believed you would rather prefer clear blue water with as much Vis as possible. Much safer and more enjoyable

antacid is correct..... season is very much over for Tioman or Aur/Dayang.... the east coast of Malaysia will be in the monsoon season as we speak.

I would suggest Phuket.... if your buget is lower. And Bali if your buget allows it. Both of these places have great dive sites, some are World Famous Sites. Both have alot of dving schools with difference buget to suit everyone (But don't try to get the 'CHEAPEST' ..... their safety standard is VERY IMPORTANT).

Just type on Google or Yahoo - Scuba+Phuket/Bali - and check up their deals.

Best of Luck..... hope to see your Photos soon

Scuba & Father... For Life

I agree with those suggestion against dive in pulau hantu.

Motivation to dive is important for newbie.
    If you only want to try if diving is fun, stay away from Pulau Hantu for your first dive.
    The first dives is tough. you don't want to struggle with those first dive basic lesson while fight that unpleasant feeling diving in a murky water
    if you see a good marine landscape, at least it will motivate you and making you want to dive more.

Unless you really have a determination just to get a license first and plan for more dive in the future, then please proceed with pulau hantu.

A friend of mine, when he did his PADI Advanced, simulated a night dive at Pulau Hantu in broad daylight haahaaa Heard the vis sucks but there are interesting nudibrach and cuttlefish to see down there.

As for a course, then the season is back, you can check out FriendlyWaters too. Some TCS stars learnt diving with them. Think that's where Fiona Xie did hers. They own a setup on Pulau Aur. Rooms with bathroom attached and air conditioning too.

i like the BSAC syllabus. and i think they focus more on core skills than padi or naui.. where its really about learning by rote and checking theb oxes.. but does it reall turn out better divers? im no sure.

What's important is how comfortable you are with the dive crew, and how professional they are when conducting their courses. Never neglect safety as most people would just go straight for the cheapest certification course available, because the cheaper the courses, the more corners get cut. Invariably, not only is diver safety compromised, but you may:
    1. not enjoy your diving experience,
    2. become a f***-up diver because your fundamentals are all wrong (monkey see, monkey do).

The choice of syllabus (PADI, BSAC, NAUI, SSI etc) is less important as it all boils down to how good your instructor is in the end, and your own interest in learning.

Quote Originally Posted by amateur_photographer View Post
    I agree with those suggestion against dive in pulau hantu.

Motivation to dive is important for newbie.
    If you only want to try if diving is fun, stay away from Pulau Hantu for your first dive.
    The first dives is tough. you don't want to struggle with those first dive basic lesson while fight that unpleasant feeling diving in a murky water
    if you see a good marine landscape, at least it will motivate you and making you want to dive more.

Unless you really have a determination just to get a license first and plan for more dive in the future, then please proceed with pulau hantu.
    Exactly, my friend tried to do an introductory course in P. Hantu, he has since swore off any thoughts of taking the open water course.

haha i guess different people have differnet experiences...i have 2 friends who did their open water in hantu, and they loved it so much they signed up for the advanced course immediately! they've been diving around the world since then...

personally...i also think hantu is actually quite nice. but i agree that it could be quite daunting for new divers taking their course over there.

urgh, can't wait to get in the water again! stupid monsoon...

oh, as a guide you can probably look here:
    http://www.sgscuba.com/forum/index.p...opic=448&st=60

you'll have to sign up as a member to view the page. but it's free, so don't worry. it has reviews of the different dive centres by divers. that said, take those reviews with a pinch of salt, because people might have had different experiences!
    Last edited by antacid; 23rd November 2008 at 04:53 AM.
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

Hahaha..... with all these advise given..... TS didn't even give any respond....

Scuba & Father... For Life