Thread: Visiting the past

Default Visiting the past

Hi all,
    I shot this photo in colour during a recent trip to Malaysia to visit my great grandfather tomb. I had reduced the saturation of the overall photo to give it a bit of mood. Vignetting and bluring effects were added in attempt to draw the viewers' attention towards my relatives walking up the slope. All effects were done using Photoshop CS3.

This photo is taken with:
    Canon 40D w 17-85mm IS USM lens at 40mm
    Aperture: f/8
    Exposure: 1/400
    ISO: 200

C&C most welcome

Default Re: Visiting the past

I think there is tilt. Judging from the people in the frame. Otherwise, I love the colour treatment but hm, I don't really see the tombs.

Quote Originally Posted by PyeeL View Post
    I think there is tilt. Judging from the people in the frame. Otherwise, I love the colour treatment but hm, I don't really see the tombs.
    Thanks PyeeL. Glad the post-treatment works for you. The tombs can be seen at the right, behind the bushes. I had tried not to include too much of them.

Blog Entries

personally, i feel that you should have used the converging lines of the road to lead the viewers eye to your subject
    a nice WA lens shot from a low angle

The shot has a good leading line but the leaves are somewhat distracting

The desaturated look does work to a degree but the drama is kind of lacking.

i'm trying to picture this in landscape with a much lower angle. i believe it will look better, i said 'i believe'. lol.
    and yes, the tilt that was mentioned. it not, tilt it more to give a more dramatic feel, which i suppose will look good too

I find the "grass"/ "plant" seen on the bottom of the picture, below your relative's legs, a little distracting. To me, it looks like a crack until I see in detail with the environment.

Overall, its a picture with great quality but I am sure you can improve. Will be looking forward to your future works!

errm, if there is one word to describe this pic to me, i would say "messy". I find that your intended subject is "eaten up" by the overly cluttered background. THe low angle made the road as a good leading line towards your subject, however, if i would you, i would go more towards your subject. Let them have more impact on the pic. Now the tree leaves are like distracting me from anything else.
    My Humble Flickr --> The pavement of my thoughts

Quote Originally Posted by ortega View Post
    personally, i feel that you should have used the converging lines of the road to lead the viewers eye to your subject
    a nice WA lens shot from a low angle
    Thanks ortega. I will try your technique next time.

Quote Originally Posted by roentarre View Post
    The shot has a good leading line but the leaves are somewhat distracting

The desaturated look does work to a degree but the drama is kind of lacking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lens Fidelity View Post
    I find the "grass"/ "plant" seen on the bottom of the picture, below your relative's legs, a little distracting. To me, it looks like a crack until I see in detail with the environment.
    Overall, its a picture with great quality but I am sure you can improve. Will be looking forward to your future works!
    Thanks roentarre and Lens Fidelity. I agree that the weed is distracting. I will make sure 'gardening' is done before I shoot from low.

Quote Originally Posted by nigel84 View Post
    errm, if there is one word to describe this pic to me, i would say "messy". I find that your intended subject is "eaten up" by the overly cluttered background. THe low angle made the road as a good leading line towards your subject, however, if i would you, i would go more towards your subject. Let them have more impact on the pic. Now the tree leaves are like distracting me from anything else.
    Thanks nigel for your comment.

the clouds kinda bother me. i have a feeling you put in a whole different set of clouds from the original picture?
    just seems too large for the overall scene.

Quote Originally Posted by pfurr View Post
    the clouds kinda bother me. i have a feeling you put in a whole different set of clouds from the original picture?
    just seems too large for the overall scene.
    Hi Pfurr, thanks for your comment.
    The clouds are part of this photo. As taken. Perhaps the portrait format of the photo had include too much sky. I will try HTCahHTC suggestion of using landscape next time.

Cheers.

It's very fake-looking.