Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Along the railway track...

  1. #1

    Default Along the railway track...

    I was trekking from a drain from opposite Ngee Ann Poly towards Bukit Timah Hill. Midway through, I saw this railway track that is leading towards the private estate with a lot of abandoned wooden planks by the side. The sight captivated me and although armed with a telezoom lens, I took the picture. It just feels very different from the usual scenes we see in Singapore.

    How is the composition of the photo and how is the PP treatment done for the pic? What is appealing and what is not?

    Appreciate your comments and critique.


  2. #2

    Default Re: Along the railway track...

    your picture seems a little out of focus to me. i do like the way you used B&W for this shot

    good effort
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"

  3. #3

    Default Re: Along the railway track...

    thanks pplneedthelord. I actually added a bit of gaussian blur to give it a dreamy look.

    Quote Originally Posted by pplneedthelord View Post
    your picture seems a little out of focus to me. i do like the way you used B&W for this shot

    good effort

  4. #4

    Default Re: Along the railway track...

    hmm in addition, you might wanna make let the railway tracks towards the center a little. i feel its too close to the corners.
    "We will see Him, coming down the clouds from heaven... In Majesty"

  5. #5

    Default Re: Along the railway track...

    Why would this scene be anything like a "dreamy look"?
    How does this add to the story / photo?
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

  6. #6

    Default Re: Along the railway track...

    possible.. thanks for the suggestion.
    Quote Originally Posted by pplneedthelord View Post
    hmm in addition, you might wanna make let the railway tracks towards the center a little. i feel its too close to the corners.
    It gives me a feeling of heading home but elusive. Decided to give it a dreamy look.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheguthamrin View Post
    Why would this scene be anything like a "dreamy look"?
    How does this add to the story / photo?

  7. #7

    Default Re: Along the railway track...

    Perhaps, for reference and comparison of a dreamy look / feel, you may need to click here; by lastboltnut
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...ht=jurong+hill
    Already abused my D40 and D80 for my flickr

  8. #8

    Default Re: Along the railway track...

    Quote Originally Posted by dingzyangz View Post
    thanks pplneedthelord. I actually added a bit of gaussian blur to give it a dreamy look.
    surreal stuff, i like the idea, could form part of a series

    but anyways, i must say i'm not quite sure about the conversion here, i see a railway light but it doesn't stand out against the background - with a proper conversion it might.

    other than that it is quite appealing - instead of just plain gaussian blur, look up orton, and try to ortonise this one.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Along the railway track...

    thanks cheguthamrin. that is indeed a very dreamy and surreal pic.
    Quote Originally Posted by cheguthamrin View Post
    Perhaps, for reference and comparison of a dreamy look / feel, you may need to click here; by lastboltnut
    http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showt...ht=jurong+hill
    thanks for the suggestion bro.
    Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post
    surreal stuff, i like the idea, could form part of a series

    but anyways, i must say i'm not quite sure about the conversion here, i see a railway light but it doesn't stand out against the background - with a proper conversion it might.

    other than that it is quite appealing - instead of just plain gaussian blur, look up orton, and try to ortonise this one.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Along the railway track...

    interesting... thanks for the Orton recommendation night86mare.

    Orton Effect
    Last edited by dingzyangz; 20th November 2008 at 01:45 PM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Along the railway track...

    Like the surreal feel... also like the way the trackes seem to pop up compared to the surroundings. the orton one looks good
    "If triangles had Gods, they would be three-sided"
    Flickr|

  12. #12

    Default Re: Along the railway track...

    thanks for the comments EOS Revolution.

    glad you like it.

    Quote Originally Posted by EOS Revolution View Post
    Like the surreal feel... also like the way the trackes seem to pop up compared to the surroundings. the orton one looks good

  13. #13
    Senior Member The_Cheat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,278

    Default Re: Along the railway track...

    Really like the way you have several tones within the same frame.

    Yes, it does look out of focus, as pointed out by some others. And although your justification of gaussian blur does explain it partly, it still indicate that the blurring is either inadequate or too much. In this case, I would feel that it is inadequate.

    Also, if you are really interested in a dreamscape, don't just focus on the bluriness. Imagine that if you are in a dreamy world, would the tone still appear the same as it is in the picture?

    One suggestion would be, try to blur a little bit more, and give the top right corner a bit more light, and less contrast.

    Hope these comments help.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Along the railway track...

    Thanks The_Cheat.

    You suggestions are really great!

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cheat View Post
    Really like the way you have several tones within the same frame.

    Yes, it does look out of focus, as pointed out by some others. And although your justification of gaussian blur does explain it partly, it still indicate that the blurring is either inadequate or too much. In this case, I would feel that it is inadequate.

    Also, if you are really interested in a dreamscape, don't just focus on the bluriness. Imagine that if you are in a dreamy world, would the tone still appear the same as it is in the picture?

    One suggestion would be, try to blur a little bit more, and give the top right corner a bit more light, and less contrast.

    Hope these comments help.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •