Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sellers disappearing after selling

vince123123
    Guests

Default Re: Sellers disappearing after selling

Sorry man, he has not learnt from his mistake and is in fact, laughing at you for being the fool for not exposing him for his misdeeds and he got away with it.

Hence, please expose him. If you tell me that he made up what he promised you, then okay, he learnt his mistake. Otherwise, he has not and has in fact, gained from his mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by luntut View Post
    I dont wish to pinpoint that fella out. Everyone deserves a chance to learn from his mistakes. But I am just disappointed in his ethics, or the lack of it.

That kid stays at Ubi Ave 1, and looks like he is only bout 15 or 16 year old. We agreed on the price, and he came without the lens filter. He told me he thought I didnt want the filter, I was like, ok, so lets work out a new price. So after working out a new price, i asked for receipt and warranty card (cos he said in one of the sales thread it was bought in April 2008) which he said he left it at home. I was in a hurry, and since he looked innocent enough, I took his word for it.

Was sorely disappointed. The first time i met another such seller, he was nice and friendly and drives a car, and like the second one, refuses to answer calls and sms-es after transaction. both times i got lens.

its funny how face to face meetings are supposed to "guarantee" a better transaction, compared to ebay style transactions. unfortunately it seems like we're getting lousy sellers and buyers even with face to face transactions.

compared with the many transactions i had from the fredmiranda forums, i must say this is appalling.. i spent almost 7k there and every transaction was send money through paypal or bank transfer, before i even get to see the item. surprisingly, every item was as described, if not in better condition. i even picked up a 70-200/4 for US$350 there which was rated a 7 simply because the lens cap was missing.

really makes one wonder why there's such a large difference in experiences.
    www.colouredshots.com
    Kodak film disposable camera

Deregistered

i had a gd experience. buyer forgot to bring certain items and we both had troubles after it to meet up again i tot i was nt gonna get it but i pass him address and he mailed me..didnt expect it :P

kids getting rich hor!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird17 View Post
    i had a gd experience. buyer forgot to bring certain items and we both had troubles after it to meet up again i tot i was nt gonna get it but i pass him address and he mailed me..didnt expect it :P

kids getting rich hor!!
    more like kids nowadays trying to find simple ways to make a quick buck.

Deal initially was made with him to include a B+W filter, and after talking, we agreed on a slightly lower price, and he when we met up, he conveniently thought i din wan the filter, and din bring it. 20 bucks less, no B+W filter. which idiot will do such a thing?

ended up worked up a deal that was more respectable, but then, after we concluded the deal and i left, i thought i was really nasty to not offer more, so i wanted to pass him another 20-30 bucks to top up once he passed me the warranty card. but now, I feel guilty no more, since he is 1 lying schmuck...
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

more like kids nowadays trying to find simple ways to make a quick buck.
    I came across one young kid in B&S selling Black Billingham Original. He said the condition was good and it was a spare Billingham given by his cousin. It was suppose to be one month old and good as new. Since the price was good, we agreed on a time n place to deal.

When we met, he appeared a bit dodgy n nervous, trying to conclude the deal asap. His body language is shifty and he doesn't dare to make eye contact.

The bag was quite used, leather QR strap crumpled...condition more like 7 or 8...Since the price is very cheap, I thought ok, I can accept...When I quetioned him further on why the condition is like that when it is only one month old. he now said that the cousin bought it used and he dunno how old it is...

This raised some alarm bells in me as it is inconsistent with what he posted in the B&S thread...when I looked into the bag, the inserts are missing...then this young kid mentioned that he will pass me the inserts another day...

Immediately, I rejected the deal on the spot as I am already suspicious of him and I am not confident I will get the inserts from him if I pass him the money...

I could be like luntut...but my philosophy is never be afraid to reject the deal if you are uncomfortable...

Deregistered

yea i agree.. i kena before also la.. i kena rejected. i dunno i was selling my lens when there was a mark which i have no idea why. than the guy insist it was a scratch.. but since we both didnt have a cloth he rejected. i went back SAD because i travelled from north to east to meet him. i went back took a cloth wipe. aiya a dirt.. but than again i were him i wouldn't have accept it too. Too bad i didnt have the guts to use t-shirt wipe on the spot prove him.

but i see alot 16 year olds ard. when i was 16 i didnt even know orchard road!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coolsigg View Post
    I could be like luntut...but my philosophy is never be afraid to reject the deal if you are uncomfortable...
    I am so gonna learn from this lesson.

Dont give people the benefit of the doubt anymore. Once bitten twice shy. Twice bitten, no more chances given.
    Fast Camera. Fast Lens. Slow Me. Sigh.
    My Flickr

Dont give people the benefit of the doubt anymore. Once bitten twice shy. Twice bitten, no more chances given.
    bro, I also learnt my lessons the hard way previously...and they were not cheap...

Deregistered

relax lah. everyone deserves a 2nd chance.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbird17 View Post
    yea i agree.. i kena before also la.. i kena rejected. i dunno i was selling my lens when there was a mark which i have no idea why. than the guy insist it was a scratch.. but since we both didnt have a cloth he rejected. i went back SAD because i travelled from north to east to meet him. i went back took a cloth wipe. aiya a dirt.. but than again i were him i wouldn't have accept it too. Too bad i didnt have the guts to use t-shirt wipe on the spot prove him.

but i see alot 16 year olds ard. when i was 16 i didnt even know orchard road!!!
    One thing I learn from selling in B&S is: to always inspect and clean your items the night/day before the deal. pack everything into the box nicely. If you spot anything that wasn't stated in your item description, at least inform the buyer so that he is prepared and both of you don't waste time.

I feel that bad seller or buyer should be exposed, and if they does fulfill the original deal, then we can clear their name.

else these ppl will easily forget what they have promise since $$ at hand liao
    " why border since the loser is not myself "

I feel that we if we let them be, others will be harm in the future, if you are a good hearted person, pls be good hearted to the others that deserve it and not these dishonest bunch of trash ppl
    D80/D700 18-135/17-50/14-24/24-70/70-200/70-300/50/60 SB600/900

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    Once I tried to engage a medium to talk the seller who disappeared.
    Hmmm..... if that medium works.... lemme know ah ? Sure will come in useful !
    Snap ?

there was this once where i met this middle age family man (in his 40s i guess), to view a lens. he said he have to pick up his children in this certain estate and since i was sincere in getting the lens at the agreed price, i made my way down to meet him.

upon meet up, met this very sweet glib tongued man and started telling me how good the lens is, how to use it and how cheap it is compared to shops. it is a Nikon MF kit lens btw. even brought some of his prime lenses to "show me" his collection which i wasn't really interested. and when he finally hand over the kit lens which i was interested for viewing, i immediately discovered a long streak of fungus stain (cleaning marks he claims) which i wasn't very happy about. i wasn't very happy not because of the streak, but the fact that he did not state in his sales thread regarding the lens and rated it "Excellent Condition Glass/Optics".

i hesitated since i wasn't expecting the stain, i told him if he could excuse me for a minute so i can call my uncle who is a experienced photographer and seek his advice. his attitude then changed and facial expression telling me he is an angry man now. then about a minute later, before i could say anything (something to end things nicely actually), he said "you remember i told you about 2nd hand shop runners?". caught me dumbfounded, i said "huh? what do you mean?" and he said "nevermind, forget it. bye" and walked towards his car and drove off. he probably thought i am one of those 2nd shop runners which i also wish to clarify here, I AM NOT.

later when i check back on the thread again, it was sold and the seller made the following comments (which was obviously directed at me).

35-70mm sold. Taken by second buyer As is at $80/-. Thanks, You really do know the difference between Fungus and Fungus Residue left behind after cleaning that will not affect the Lens performance. Its good to sell and deal with people who know their stuff.
    i may not be experienced as you but the streak is obvious and you did not state in your thread. so who is the one who doesn't know their stuff here? i am not a carrot waiting to be chopped, neither am i a fox in sheep's skin.

sorry for the long 'composition' but i had to rant. there's a few other bad encounters too which i wold love to share when i have some free time.

remember to check out on next week's topic on - PRANKSTERS.

Ppl on the internet were a lot nicer way back in the days. Hehehe.

caveat emptor

vince123123
    Guests

Hehe actualyl he should change his post to:

"35-70mm sold. Taken by second buyer As is at $80/-. Thanks, You really do know the difference between Fungus and Fungus Residue left behind after cleaning that will not affect the Lens performance. Its good to sell and deal with people who DO NOT know their stuff (and I can con)."

Quote Originally Posted by IamJeFfy View Post
    there was this once where i met this middle age family man (in his 40s i guess), to view a lens. he said he have to pick up his children in this certain estate and since i was sincere in getting the lens at the agreed price, i made my way down to meet him.

upon meet up, met this very sweet glib tongued man and started telling me how good the lens is, how to use it and how cheap it is compared to shops. it is a Nikon MF kit lens btw. even brought some of his prime lenses to "show me" his collection which i wasn't really interested. and when he finally hand over the kit lens which i was interested for viewing, i immediately discovered a long streak of fungus stain (cleaning marks he claims) which i wasn't very happy about. i wasn't very happy not because of the streak, but the fact that he did not state in his sales thread regarding the lens and rated it "Excellent Condition Glass/Optics".

i hesitated since i wasn't expecting the stain, i told him if he could excuse me for a minute so i can call my uncle who is a experienced photographer and seek his advice. his attitude then changed and facial expression telling me he is an angry man now. then about a minute later, before i could say anything (something to end things nicely actually), he said "you remember i told you about 2nd hand shop runners?". caught me dumbfounded, i said "huh? what do you mean?" and he said "nevermind, forget it. bye" and walked towards his car and drove off. he probably thought i am one of those 2nd shop runners which i also wish to clarify here, I AM NOT.

later when i check back on the thread again, it was sold and the seller made the following comments (which was obviously directed at me).

i may not be experienced as you but the streak is obvious and you did not state in your thread. so who is the one who doesn't know their stuff here? i am not a carrot waiting to be chopped, neither am i a fox in sheep's skin.

sorry for the long 'composition' but i had to rant. there's a few other bad encounters too which i wold love to share when i have some free time.

remember to check out on next week's topic on - PRANKSTERS.

I had met not so honest sellers and also honourable sellers.

They sold their integrity to you if they are not honest!

Blog Entries

never complete the deal if it is not complete.

it is the seller's own carelessness for not bringing the complete items
    make the seller list all the items included in the sale before meet up

things that are too cheap to be true, normally is

What do you guys think of sellers who disappear after selling?

Guys who promise to pass me their warranty cards after selling to me, when i contact them, they will never ever pick up the call or answer my sms-es or PMs.

Met 2 of such cases already.

anyone had such an experience before?
    You exposed yourself to this risk.
    Deal only when seller has everything (merchandise, warranty card, even the box if its agreed!), then one hand money , one hand goods. deal is then done.

No deal if anything missing.

Well I havent had the experience where sellers disappearing after selling but i had this experience to share.
    My gf posted in the BnS section stating that she wanted to get a 24-70mm AFS nikkor.
    Then one guy PM-ed her stating that the lens is new and bought with the D3 bundle.
    Reason is: Selling for a fren cause fren finds lens too heavy.
    So she called me and ask whether or not to buy it. I said go ahead since its new and the seller promises to produce receipt and warranty card. So the next day, i went down to deal with the seller. Upon meeting him, checked the lens. it looks brand new with no dust/scratches/fungus. Exterior looks new but can see that its USED.
    Looked at the serial number and matched it with the warranty card, it matches.
    Checked the receipt and true enough, it was bought with the D3 on january.
    So far so good..
    So i took out 2.3k and handed over and left.
    At home, i double checked the receipt and warranty card..
    And found out that, The receipt was from John and the warranty card was from CP.
    I WAS LIKE OMG!! kana cheated!
    Immediately i know that the lens wasnt new (CONFIRM!).. The seller jst replaced the receipt from a new purchased lens. As the receipt didnt show the serial nmber, i didnt know !
    Then checked with nikon, and found out that the lens was out of warranty..!
    And i paid 2.3k for it !?!
    So i asked my gf tocontact the seller, SHE cant get through..! (number unavailable)
    So she texted him ("bro lens got prob lei.. call me back ASAP!") and waited for a reply but nothing. Until the next morning he replied "which lens u talking about?".. This definitely proves that he sold/cheated ppl alot of lenses..
    After much talking, me and my gf met up and thank god, he gave her money back..
    Giving an excuse that his fren is a rich fellow and has lotsa equipments, maybe receipt n warranty card got mixed up..
    I was PHEW!! HENG!
    Last but not least,
    Just and advice from me, when you are getting something with warranty (if stated in bns from seller) make sure RECEIPT has a serial number and warranty card matches the lens n receipt.. (serial num)
    Otherwise, Check with nikon on the spot..! So wanna deal, deal during office hours where you can call nikon and check..!
    I shall not name the guy as he gave my money back and said sorry. just wanna alert everyone when purchasing in BNS.. And hope that those who are buying 1st hand lenses request that salesperson write down serial number on receipt as well...
    A mad, keen photographer needs to get out into the world and work and make mistakes.

So far, in CS itself, i have been lucky with deals. Never experience this before.

But in other forum, i had and my worst encounter was when i was in scotland and this fooker was selling something in the forum which is pretty rare. Given the fact i was not in town and with my trusting nature, i agreed to give a deposit. It was about $300!!! (Yah call me stupid and too trusting, frankly i still dunno why i was so damn idiotic to do it and i take some of the blame) I never got the goods, i never hear from the seller again. The moderator in Subaru forum was very nice though to help me all the way and till this day, i still get PMs from other forum members to come together to get this *******. Since then I have been pretty dependent on their who are the good sellers/bad sellers thread. Although it does not stop those *******s changing nick, i still have better visibility of the credibility of a genuine seller.

Maybe we really should consider this here too since some of the items are not cheap.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast