Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: If you see someone carrying a big camera bag, and you are carrying 1 too. will you...

Default Re: If you see someone carrying a big camera bag, and you are carrying 1 too. will yo

depends la, dun 1 2 be shot & labelled & branded as a GWC online...

Default Re: If you see someone carrying a big camera bag, and you are carrying 1 too. will yo

I got a good impression of local photographers, the 1st time i bring my camera out go shoot at singapore river, got 1 uncle with DSLR approached me say hello.

Personally, i jst feel that carrying a DSLR along Orchard Road is the "IN" thing! It's like a must-have accessory like having a LV or Gucci for that matter.

Personal experiences? Well, I've been shooting quite often with a fellow CS member, and I realised that most of the times, he gets "picked-up". Hahahaha There was this nice Nikon user whom I met in SBG whilst trying a macro flower shot, and he told me that I need a diffuser to get the shot right (I was using onboard flash) and I was like, "thanks!"

I tried smiling at some photog. on the streets and sometimes, they returned that "I'm Not interested" look.

I'd give a light smile if there was eye contact with the guy/girl with DSLR. I noticed many photographers are more concerned with looking at my equipment and trying to identify what I'm using instead of looking right into my face though. Sometimes when they realize that I'm using something "inferior" compared to what they have, they give the "I'm more pro than you" kinda look .
    Nikon D200/D700/D800 User :)
    [www.PositiveStudioProductions.com]

Quote Originally Posted by Override2Zion View Post
    I'd give a light smile if there was eye contact with the guy/girl with DSLR. I noticed many photographers are more concerned with looking at my equipment and trying to identify what I'm using instead of looking right into my face though. Sometimes when they realize that I'm using something "inferior" compared to what they have, they give the "I'm more pro than you" kinda look .
    Haha yeahhh i agree. I quickly hide my noob 400D kamella when i see the big guns

LOL.

But its kinda irritating when im out with my non-photog friends and whenever we see other photogs, they'd go like "eh your friend ah?"

Then this is the part where you go -_-"

Sian.

Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by PhotoProZero View Post
    I tried smiling at some photog. on the streets and sometimes, they returned that "I'm Not interested" look.
    Maybe your shirt is not low cut enough?

Quote Originally Posted by g-khoo View Post
    I quickly hide my noob 400D kamella when i see the big guns
    I normally give excuse that the 400D with kit lens I'm holding belongs to my wife.

I'll tell them I have a big camera and big lens at home. Too heavy to carry out.
    Last edited by Sion; 27th November 2008 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    The only time when I speak to them is when there is a functions/events. It's funny to suddenly approach people in Orchard and smile at them and say hi.

The funny thing is each event I go to, they seem to be in their own world. Until I approach them, then they start to smile and speak to you.

I would say 80% photographers in Singapore who covers events which I have met are like that. Yes they are paid to do the job to cover the event but at least introduce themselves. 5 mins introduction would not harm your precious time photographing the event. I am pretty sure this is one good way for networking your ownself, especially if you are freelancer.

I have intro many jobs(jobs which I can't cover) to those whom I became friends with. Socially speaking in the photographer's industry in Singapore......they will not approach you until you open your mouth. Ego seems to be the main culprit in them.

Why is it still until today is about who has a bigger gun? So those who has smaller guns will not approach them? Do you really think those who has bigger guns are more superior than your ownself? We are all artist in our own field and each of us are talented in our own ways. I know too in the market there are some season photographers who put their pride over the hill. Just remember their face and smile at them again.....until they respond!

Infact, places like HK, Australia, Malaysia, Thailand and so on seems to be better off....as it's not I approach them but they took the first step to speak to me. Aftet that it made our lives easier when we cover the event together without stepping on each other.
    Very well said.

I think it also depends on situations.

At Punggol shooting nature and scapes, I always smile because most of the photographers are fellow hobbyists sharing the same passions. I hope to make friends with familar faces.

Recent nature trip smiled to a few and got returned smiles and one with a small chat. At Singapore river, same too, because its quite obvious we are there for play rather than for work.

Same when I am doing streets, Chinatown, Little India, but probably not Orchard Road.

But at events, most photographers are probably hired pros, and I don't smile at them, because I know some have big egos, you smile at them they don't return the courtesy and think you nuts. Although some just had a schedule to meet and photos to deliver.

Once I was shooting an artist at Esplanade, a guy try to flaunt his big ego and equipment. I was getting my shots at my spot, this guy came up right at my side, put down his bag and switch cameras front of me, his body language and exaggerated movements tells me his showing the 'my camera is bigger than your camera' thing. Unfortunately, big ego often comes with small hearts, and not much friends.
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

i carry my equipment in my hand bag. Too heavy to use it as a necklace.
    Don't cry because its over,:)Smile because it happened.
    items for sale

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Very well said.

I think it also depends on situations.

At Punggol shooting nature and scapes, I always smile because most of the photographers are fellow hobbyists sharing the same passions. I hope to make friends with familar faces.

Recent nature trip smiled to a few and got returned smiles and one with a small chat. At Singapore river, same too, because its quite obvious we are there for play rather than for work.

Same when I am doing streets, Chinatown, Little India, but probably not Orchard Road.

But at events, most photographers are probably hired pros, and I don't smile at them, because I know some have big egos, you smile at them they don't return the courtesy and think you nuts. Although some just had a schedule to meet and photos to deliver.

Once I was shooting an artist at Esplanade, a guy try to flaunt his big ego and equipment. I was getting my shots at my spot, this guy came up right at my side, put down his bag and switch cameras front of me, his body language and exaggerated movements tells me his showing the 'my camera is bigger than your camera' thing. Unfortunately, big ego often comes with small hearts, and not much friends.
    Plenty of that in the market......especially from newspaper. Yes understand they have a dateline to meet or make sure they deliver to their fussy clients. Still we are all human and human do have feelings too.

Nothing is better than sometimes working together. If it's an opening event/cutting ribbon, there are always some amatuers in the field but they forgot one thing they were once at an amatuer too.

Yes, one gets ego in their way once they are season in the field. Sad world for some of them......but I thank god I am not one of them.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234