Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you see someone carrying a big camera bag, and you are carrying 1 too. will you...

Default Re: If you see someone carrying a big camera bag, and you are carrying 1 too. will yo

normally i will say give a big smile and said hello...
    mostly will reply the same way..

there was once, a guy i saw at Hort Park with this big camera. I smile and said hello, he returned with a long stare, look me up and down, and look at my dslr... give a snear and walked away ..head up there..

wah lao...aunty cannot shoot meh..
    蓮花仙子

Default Re: If you see someone carrying a big camera bag, and you are carrying 1 too. will yo

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    If i saw a fellow photographer (with big telephotos), I'd go up to him and ask:

'Can I touch your lens? '

you should change to your biggest lens

and walk next to him and keep up pace while glaring at his lens to see whose lens is longer

Quote Originally Posted by LOTUSfairy View Post
    normally i will say give a big smile and said hello...
    mostly will reply the same way..

there was once, a guy i saw at Hort Park with this big camera. I smile and said hello, he returned with a long stare, look me up and down, and look at my dslr... give a snear and walked away ..head up there..

wah lao...aunty cannot shoot meh..
    waah..sad case, man (the guy, i mean )

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

and walk next to him and keep up pace while glaring at his lens to see whose lens is longer
    I should just take out my uber-professional, 1m-long lens hood. Win liao

Quote Originally Posted by night86mare View Post

Now I know why I like my pull push lens... can extend out and compare a bit better...
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

next time you all see a guy smiling silly at you and carrying a 7million dollar, that's me. Say hi k~

if the person carrying the camera doesn't give me his/her "death-glare" when i look at them, i smile and acknowledge them as fellow photography enthusiasts. if i see its some teenager carrying a dslr as a fashion statement, then i pay no attention to him/her. now there are so many people carrying dslrs around, i smile until tired...
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    if i see its some teenager carrying a dslr as a fashion statement
    But how do you know it's a fashion statement?

(ok, honestly, i can kinda guess too )

The only time when I speak to them is when there is a functions/events. It's funny to suddenly approach people in Orchard and smile at them and say hi.

The funny thing is each event I go to, they seem to be in their own world. Until I approach them, then they start to smile and speak to you.

I would say 80% photographers in Singapore who covers events which I have met are like that. Yes they are paid to do the job to cover the event but at least introduce themselves. 5 mins introduction would not harm your precious time photographing the event. I am pretty sure this is one good way for networking your ownself, especially if you are freelancer.

I have intro many jobs(jobs which I can't cover) to those whom I became friends with. Socially speaking in the photographer's industry in Singapore......they will not approach you until you open your mouth. Ego seems to be the main culprit in them.

Why is it still until today is about who has a bigger gun? So those who has smaller guns will not approach them? Do you really think those who has bigger guns are more superior than your ownself? We are all artist in our own field and each of us are talented in our own ways. I know too in the market there are some season photographers who put their pride over the hill. Just remember their face and smile at them again.....until they respond!

Infact, places like HK, Australia, Malaysia, Thailand and so on seems to be better off....as it's not I approach them but they took the first step to speak to me. Aftet that it made our lives easier when we cover the event together without stepping on each other.
    Last edited by Godzilla Invades; 21st November 2008 at 09:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    Why is it still until today is about who has a bigger gun? So those who has smaller guns will not approach them? Do you really think those who has bigger guns are more superior than your ownself? We are all artist in our own field and each of us are talented in our own ways. I know too in the market there are some season photographers who put their pride over the hill. Just remember their face and smile at them again.....until they respond!
    Partly its an male ego thing....u know lar...cameras/lenses are somewhat like phallic symbols for the male gender....so its like the mentality of 'size does matter'. Its the sense of superiority and the kick one gets just from owning bigger size gear than ur 'rival', its a primal instinct of Man down the ages since the stone age...my club is bigger than ur club, my sword is bigger than ur sword, my rifle is bigger than ur rifle, etc...u get the point.

Somehow male psyche is that most of us guys are fascinated with impressive looking gear (read: big), and big lenses almost always draw ur attention....even more so if they are white and long.

So, next time u meet a guy carrying a huge cannon, dun get intimidated....just smile and say hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    So, next time u meet a guy carrying a huge cannon, dun get intimidated....just smile and say hi.
    I fully agree with the rest of your quote, but the line above just sounds so wrong if one has no idea what is the topic!

I like to walk around with my FE2 and my uber small 50 f1.8 E Series "pancake" lens.

Lens very small leh...how to compare ar?
    Dun blame the camera...blame the one behind the viewfinder :bsmilie:
    My Flickr..pls leave comments!

Quote Originally Posted by Godzilla Invades View Post
    The only time when I speak to them is when there is a functions/events. It's funny to suddenly approach people in Orchard and smile at them and say hi.

The funny thing is each event I go to, they seem to be in their own world. Until I approach them, then they start to smile and speak to you.

I would say 80% photographers in Singapore who covers events which I have met are like that. Yes they are paid to do the job to cover the event but at least introduce themselves. 5 mins introduction would not harm your precious time photographing the event. I am pretty sure this is one good way for networking your ownself, especially if you are freelancer.

I have intro many jobs(jobs which I can't cover) to those whom I became friends with. Socially speaking in the photographer's industry in Singapore......they will not approach you until you open your mouth. Ego seems to be the main culprit in them.

Infact, places like HK, Australia, Malaysia, Thailand and so on seems to be better off....as it's not I approach them but they took the first step to speak to me. Aftet that it made our lives easier when we cover the event together without stepping on each other.

Yes! Can't agree more on what you've said. Maybe they are just scared of Godzilla

Quote Originally Posted by zh3ng View Post
    Yes! Can't agree more on what you've said. Maybe they are just scared of Godzilla
    How can they not be? I just read a post by him some time back, his set up is impressive!

Quote Originally Posted by albinosage View Post
    How can they not be? I just read a post by him some time back, his set up is impressive!
    My setup maybe impressive from what you have heard but I am always open to all photographers. The problems starts is some of them trying "to look at their best" to be a "professional photographer" with their BIG CANNONS........

For a minute I thought he was a model parading for a fashion show for Canon products.....

Quote Originally Posted by zh3ng View Post
    Godzilla doesn't scare anyone lar..........it's the Cannons with they are afraid off........

For me I will smile and give a little nob, if the smiles are returned, I will probably say 'Hi'.

If possible, I will at least introduce myself and chat a bit.

Happened to see a few chaps with FF cam coupled with impressive gears walking around town during weekend.
    Canon EOS

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    But how do you know it's a fashion statement?

(ok, honestly, i can kinda guess too )
    ming zhi gu wen.

heh you know you still ask? its just how they carry themselves, how they use their gear, their behaviour in general... i can't explain it, nor can i say for certain if my judgement is accurate.
    It is such a quiet thing to fall,
    But far more terrible is to admit it

past 2 days, smiled at fellow photographers, but was ignored. wth !

usually give a polite smile ... I'm usually the unofficial photographer ... I try to keep out of their way ... they cannot miss a shot while I dun hv to take tt shot ...

Quote Originally Posted by vonlichenstein View Post
    ming zhi gu wen.

heh you know you still ask? its just how they carry themselves, how they use their gear, their behaviour in general... i can't explain it, nor can i say for certain if my judgement is accurate.
    sorry my chinese sucks

but yea, i noe wha ya sayin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast