Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: What to check when buying a new Camera?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Bukit Batok
    Posts
    207

    Question What to check when buying a new Camera?

    Hi,
    I just wanted to know what do you usually check when you buying the camera at the shop?
    Of course after you already decided which model you going to take etc....
    Its going to be the 3rd time i'm buy a pro cam but i nether really know if the thing i'm testing or checking before taking the cam home with me it the right thing i'm doing or forgetting to check more important thing.

  2. #2
    Senior Member erictan8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,885

    Default Re: What to check when buying a new Camera?

    1. that all things listed are there....and the price is ok, meaning not a ridiculous price
    2. can power up
    3. shutter count should not be 100 ot 100 ++ ... haha
    4. no dead pixel
    5. memory card door ok
    6. battery door ok
    7. no scratches or cracks
    8. put lens on can shoot and review pics
    9. view finder clean. no dust
    10. most importantly, got exchange policy

  3. #3

    Default Re: What to check when buying a new Camera?

    is there a way to check shutter count on the spot? beside viewing the photos exif info on a computer.

    My new D700 has 668 within 1 week! and the number of picture i downloaded is less than 300!.. strange.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    westcoast
    Posts
    4,679

    Default Re: What to check when buying a new Camera?

    too early, there is are 1 or 2 new nikon models coming in 36 hours.

  5. #5

    Default Re: What to check when buying a new Camera?

    I'm going to buy my first DSLR recently, this topic is very useful for me, Just a few questions:

    1. How to check dead pixel?
    2. How to check shutter counter?
    3. Any exchange policy here? I thought as long as you bring camera home, anything bad happen, you need go to service center instead of shop where you bought camera.

    THanks alot.

  6. #6

    Default Re: What to check when buying a new Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by cj9404 View Post
    I'm going to buy my first DSLR recently, this topic is very useful for me, Just a few questions:

    1. How to check dead pixel?
    2. How to check shutter counter?
    3. Any exchange policy here? I thought as long as you bring camera home, anything bad happen, you need go to service center instead of shop where you bought camera.

    THanks alot.
    check dead pixel could take a completely overexposed pic so tt u will get a white image and see if u have any weird pixels...similarly take a completely underexposed and check

    2. only way to check shutter is with a exif viewer meant for nikon cameras...do a search online and see...its free...but u need a com to do it....take the picture, then connect the memory card to yr com with the software...and scroll down till u see the camera actuations count...

    3. Exchange policy depends on each shop, you could ask them and see...

  7. #7

    Default Re: What to check when buying a new Camera?

    Let's say I find one or two dead pixels, will shop refuse to change another set for me? as I heard some stories says, if bad pixels are less than certain number (5? 6?), they will refuse to change another one for you. Is that true?

  8. #8

    Default Re: What to check when buying a new Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by musicpls View Post
    is there a way to check shutter count on the spot? beside viewing the photos exif info on a computer.

    My new D700 has 668 within 1 week! and the number of picture i downloaded is less than 300!.. strange.
    That is normal. People do test the cameras in shops and may not buy it at the end. Especially for high end cameras, I am not surprised that there are people who just go there to have a feel of it. Also, some sellers do show the capabilities of the cameras to prospective buyers and one of it is to show how fast the fps is.

    I have heard of some brand new cameras having a shutter count of over 1k so a few hundreds is normal, nothing to worry about.

  9. #9
    Senior Member fatigue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Blk138 Bedok North Ave3
    Posts
    2,924

    Default Re: What to check when buying a new Camera?

    Complete accessories
    9815-1974
    FB: Hilos Camera Repair

  10. #10

    Default Re: What to check when buying a new Camera?

    Quote Originally Posted by azzurri View Post
    That is normal. People do test the cameras in shops and may not buy it at the end. Especially for high end cameras, I am not surprised that there are people who just go there to have a feel of it. Also, some sellers do show the capabilities of the cameras to prospective buyers and one of it is to show how fast the fps is.

    I have heard of some brand new cameras having a shutter count of over 1k so a few hundreds is normal, nothing to worry about.
    That's what i'm thinking as well, you make my day!

    Anyway, CP has a 1 week 1-1 exchange policy so i guessed i'm safe, fingers crossed.

  11. #11

    Default Re: What to check when buying a new Camera?

    what i did to check on the day of purchase was, assuming you have did your price research.

    1. a simple check of the cam body condition, any tell tale sign of mishandling before
    2. mount some lens to test focusing issue
    3. the warranty policy
    4. check accessories

    I think it's important to go to a reputable shop like CP, MS, John 3:16 even the price could be higher than some ABC shop. I happened to come across another shop selling it for 30 bucks cheaper but i end out with CP for a ease of mind in terms of shop reliability.

    Ever heard of SLS tricks? quote cheaper price but comes with lots of conditions, must buy this n that, GST not included.

    Anyhow, happy buying.

  12. #12
    Senior Member erictan8888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    2,885

    Default Re: What to check when buying a new Camera?

    as for exchange policy, must depend on relationship with shops.... that's why it pays to let the same shop earn your money....
    they then will be willing to do an exchange for you if anything goes wrong....

  13. #13

    Default Re: What to check when buying a new Camera?

    ask your good friend who own one and bring you to the same shop he/she brought the dslr
    you will be stressed out by the sale person before you know what to buy (most of the time)
    UNLESS YOU HAD OWNED ONE BEFORE OR ELSE...

  14. #14

    Default Re: What to check when buying a new Camera?

    Where is CP? lol.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •