Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: flashes for CLS

Default Re: flashes for CLS

Quote Originally Posted by Daedalus Trent View Post
    180 degree angle? You sure? Maybe you ought to read your manual again...

as for failure to trigger, if the ambient light is too bright, the flash's sensor may not be able to detect commander flash
    (hmm...sounds like some superhero...)
    Of course, strictly speaking it can still be triggered even if the flash is behind the camera, but its better to keep them in the front for better communication. The SB600 manual did not specify, but has a diagram which illustrated (and probably recommended) 60 degrees to the front. (page 60)
    WTB Manfrotto RC4 L Bracket

Why SB-800? The CLS interface for the SB-900 is even easier!
    Quote Originally Posted by kkcharles82 View Post
    Absolutely concur!
    SB900 oso costs ~$200 more than SB800 if bought brand new...

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Of course, strictly speaking it can still be triggered even if the flash is behind the camera, but its better to keep them in the front for better communication. The SB600 manual did not specify, but has a diagram which illustrated (and probably recommended) 60 degrees to the front. (page 60)
    ya i face problem of not able to trigger the slaves at times, so a radio trigger will eliminate that problem?
    anyone knows how much cAn e cost of radio trigger range from?

Quote Originally Posted by nlghtxx View Post
    ya i face problem of not able to trigger the slaves at times, so a radio trigger will eliminate that problem?
    anyone knows how much cAn e cost of radio trigger range from?
    Good ones tat are reliable?? 3 digits at least.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

haha, resurrecting this thread again since i'm thinking of doing exactly what TS mentioned

My question is, the command flash signal flickers a few times then causes the slaves to fire.

On the other hand, it is stated that these 'Hotshoe Optical Slave Flash Trigger' (from tagotech) are triggered by another flash.

So, are these triggers able to sync. with the Nikon CLS or will they fire the slaves the moment they detect the 1st flicker of the CLS command flash?

Pardon me if this is a dumb question

haha, resurrecting this thread again since i'm thinking of doing exactly what TS mentioned

My question is, the command flash signal flickers a few times then causes the slaves to fire.

On the other hand, it is stated that these 'Hotshoe Optical Slave Flash Trigger' (from tagotech) are triggered by another flash.

So, are these triggers able to sync. with the Nikon CLS or will they fire the slaves the moment they detect the 1st flicker of the CLS command flash?

Pardon me if this is a dumb question
    optical slave will fire when they detect a flash or a sudden detection in the light at the sensor.

I got mine triggered when i turn on my room light at times.

Quote Originally Posted by jnet6 View Post
    optical slave will fire when they detect a flash or a sudden detection in the light at the sensor.

I got mine triggered when i turn on my room light at times.
    Can we say its best used when your the only shooter and when your indoor.

I am guessing if room lights can trigger it, outdoors; reflections of shinning surface from cars, or car headlights might also trigger them?

Quote Originally Posted by sjackal View Post
    Can we say its best used when your the only shooter and when your indoor.

I am guessing if room lights can trigger it, outdoors; reflections of shinning surface from cars, or car headlights might also trigger them?
    Constant light does not trigger it... the sudden flashing of the light does. Like switching on a headlight, etc.
    Michael Lim
    My Flickr Site

usually is when the flash mounted with 'Hotshoe Optical Slave Flash Trigger' placing too close to the fluorescent light, so when the fluorescent flicker, it will trigger the flash.

if you are using optical slave, your master flash have to set it to manual mode, so it will not trigger the remote flash prematurely, master flash on auto mode will work too, however, you must make sure the sensor of the master flash does not affected by remote flash, causing underexposed or erratic flash output.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

If the master flash is on manual it won't be affected by the remote flash... or am I thinking of something else?

Quote Originally Posted by YSLee View Post
    If the master flash is on manual it won't be affected by the remote flash... or am I thinking of something else?
    seem you are very confuse...

if the master flash is set at manual mode, it will not fire pre flash, so won't not trigger the remote flash prematurely.

and when the master flash is set at manual mode, it will have constant flash out put, irregardless remote flash fire or not.

If the master flash is set at auto mode, it will cut the power output once the flash sensor read sufficient exposure, the problem will arise if the sensor of the master flash also read the flash from remote flash at the same time, it will not able to produce consistent output, since the master flash can't differential which light is from which light.
    Shoot to Live, Live to Shoot
    www.benjaminloo.com | iStock portfolio

Yes, I missed out on one portion of your sentence, which mentioned auto mode. My apologies.

What is CLS ?
    Auto flash mode is a mode found in most Nikon flash old and new plus some old flash.
    It auto adjust the flash output according to distance via a sensor on the flash.

There are some ways to rig those kinda optical triggers though, came across them after some research

But unless you buy real expensive ones, cheaper models negate the wonderful Creative Lighting System i paid for when i bought my SB-600/800!

Conclusion:
    Save the trouble rigging 'budget' optical/radio triggers and just get a Nikon strobe. At least an SB-600.

But unless you buy real expensive ones, cheaper models negate the wonderful Creative Lighting System i paid for when i bought my SB-600/800!

Conclusion:
    Save the trouble rigging 'budget' optical/radio triggers and just get a Nikon strobe. At least an SB-600.
    Agree with this, its tedious to go one big round thinking to save some money in the end spend money to buy frustration.

Personally I consider it a good lesson in flash mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by YSLee View Post
    Personally I consider it a good lesson in flash mechanics.
    hmm...you have a point (CLS kinda makes it too easy, no?)

Then again, i can always set my Nikon strobes to manual mode, but i can't use 3rd parties if i need AWL

hmm...you have a point (CLS kinda makes it too easy, no?)

Then again, i can always set my Nikon strobes to manual mode, but i can't use 3rd parties if i need AWL
    know your equipment is more important. i've use nikon CLS and other optical slaves. all works well if you know what are you working on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12