Thread: Is Kopitam doing well?

Default Is Kopitam doing well?

Kopitam is a famous food chain for heartlanders.

Have noticed recently that some of their outlets are not doing well. If I am not wrong most of them are on the 24 hrs operation but the business, h'mm hard to say.

What do you think that caused the problem?
    Perhaps the owner is not aware of the real issues with problematic outlets. I know of only one outlet that is "hitting flies" after opening for slightly more than a year. It's located in a populated area in an old established estate.

If you have the capital outlay and want to start a business in the food industry, would you want to get into this franchise?

Default Re: Is Kopitam doing well?

there's now the take-away option & home delivery, so less people dining in maybe just a fraction of customers?

Kopitiam has raised it's food prices, driving people to other chains. I see Banquet, Food Republic and Coffee Express 2000 opening up in more places. I personally prefer Banquet as it's servings of Kopi-C are HUGE.
    Alpha

With the type of rental they charge on the stallholder..... many can't make ends meet. With this current downturn, fewer and fewer ppl would be eating out. Don't think that only Kopitiam is suffering from this problem.

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    With the type of rental they charge on the stallholder..... many can't make ends meet. With this current downturn, fewer and fewer ppl would be eating out. Don't think that only Kopitiam is suffering from this problem.
    I think they need to provide some entertainments to lure the customers.

Some tabletop dancing will attract the GWCs to flock to kopitiams and replace the aunties working there with Japanese schoolgirl lookalikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sion View Post
    I think they need to provide some entertainments to lure the customers.

Some tabletop dancing will attract the GWCs to flock to kopitiams and replace the aunties working there with Japanese schoolgirl lookalikes.
    If only they know how to adopt and adapt to some of your ideas.

Funny thing is that don't the owner knows that the core of their business including the name of their food chain is none other than coffee?

You tell me if the kopi-O at their outlets taste like coffee without milk?

Once been there, you will never want to go get another cup again from the same place.
    So the usual customers drift away slowly.

the one at Compass point is always packed

Are the individual vendors stalls on their own right or meerly "workers" for Kopitiam?

workers for Kopitiam...

they should be doing well...still receiving their orders for cloth visors
    Nikon D300s, 50mm, 18-105mm, Sigma 30mm F1.4, Sigma 50-150mm F2.8, Samyang 8mm F3.5

Quote Originally Posted by forward View Post
    Funny thing is that don't the owner knows that the core of their business including the name of their food chain is none other than coffee?
    Agreed! The Kopitiam operated drinks stall has increased the price of beverages and yet, for $1.60, they can't even be bothered to chill the canned drinks in a fridge. Oh, and if you order some popular beverages like green tea or lemon tea, they will pass you some house brand drink like "HSC" or "Cool" even though Yeo's is displayed at the counter - you have to ask for "Yeo's" before they change it for you, not before giving you a black face.

For the price of a meal complete with beverage at Kopitiam, it is getting more and more expensive, I'd rather have a fast food meal at the same price and get consistent good service, fake smile and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wibblo View Post
    workers for Kopitiam...

they should be doing well...still receiving their orders for cloth visors
    So that explains their food quality.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Are the individual vendors stalls on their own right or meerly "workers" for Kopitiam?
    I think this is the main problem....I found generally those food stalls run by the owner themselves serving better food than those that man by workers.....especially those man by foreign talents....I have no doubt about their effort and commitment in work....but getting a food prepared and getting a good food prepared is not merely step 1 to step 10 thing, it needs many years of experiences and understanding of customers liking As a results I prefer to visit those old coffee shop or market food stall instead of food court

Quote Originally Posted by Big Kahuna View Post
    I think this is the main problem....I found generally those food stalls run by the owner themselves serving better food than those that man by workers.....especially those man by foreign talents....I have no doubt about their effort and commitment in work....but getting a food prepared and getting a good food prepared is not merely step 1 to step 10 thing, it needs many years of experiences and understanding of customers liking As a results I prefer to visit those old coffee shop or market food stall instead of food court
    Since they are workers taking a basic pay monthly, they care lesser if they have lesser customers... so food quality plunges generally. Unlike true hawkers who very livelihood depends on their sales, so they always strive to improve food quality. I ever encountered a foreign hawker who dunno what a teh peng is. So I had to translate it to proper chinese as nai cha (milk tea), he still say dont have. In the end I waited for a Singaporean hawker to come before I finally got my drink.

I still prefer hawker style where every vendor is its own business anytime.

If I got my facts right.....

A stall owner got 2 choice of rental payment they could opts for..... 1 - pay a super high rental rate.... somethings as high as 20-30K a month (the S11 at AMK hub and the other one). Or 2nd - they could chose to 'work' for the coffeeshop owner and have a big percentage of their total income be paid as rent.

If the second opts is choosen..... then you must work a certain hours a day, 7 days a week, as agreed in the contract. And if you can't hit target monthly..... then the coffeeshop owner could shut you down.

Thats what the shop holder complaint to me & my fellows working friends......

Scuba & Father... For Life

Quote Originally Posted by diver-hloc View Post
    If I got my facts right.....

A stall owner got 2 choice of rental payment they could opts for..... 1 - pay a super high rental rate.... somethings as high as 20-30K a month (the S11 at AMK hub and the other one). Or 2nd - they could chose to 'work' for the coffeeshop owner and have a big percentage of their total income be paid as rent.

If the second opts is choosen..... then you must work a certain hours a day, 7 days a week, as agreed in the contract. And if you can't hit target monthly..... then the coffeeshop owner could shut you down.

Thats what the shop holder complaint to me & my fellows working friends......
    I heard something like that but they term it as "Share Holder", if can't hit target, than have to top up.
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

Kopitiam is a concept operation which the government supports - not the local hawker food stalls though.

They were one of the first to start a top up card system, offering a small discount for food purchases. They are like a landlord, collecting rental from individual operations that rent spaces from them. What they offer is some form of (A&P) advertisement, near cashless system and good locations tied up with shopping malls.

The difficult part is they have the right to hold on to the cash as the collection has to be audited by them. Was told they would only release the cash on the following month.

The advantage being in this system is these stalls can hire foreign talents. A normal hawker stall cannot hire foreign talents. Most hawkers are disgusted by this bias treatment, but there is little they can do. The good old hawkers fall sick after working day after day. They cannot find FT to help in the operation as the law forbids. Singaporeans and PR would not work for these hawkers as it is not a glamorous job to toil in a little stall. When their health cannot take it anymore, they just fold up and call it retirement.

So, what we are witnessing is the good old hawkers are disappearing one after another given that they cannot find people to help them in the business, needless to say to expand it. Hence some sold the business away. While on the other hand, branded foodcourts are expanding at an alarming rate, but at the expense of food quality.

Of late, there is a drop in demand for restaurant patronage. Consumers are switching to foodcourts. When the taste are bad, they go back to the good old hawkers.

Well, enjoy the good old hawker food while the good ones are still around. Very soon, these hawkers will turn into another kopitiam type operation one by one. By which time, we would have lost what used to be the real Singaporean food. This is the same problem local provision stalls faced when NTUC supermarket wipe them clean - well almost.

The big boys will always win. No more towkay mentality. Just work for these big boys if you cant fight them!

Food quality sucks

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    Food quality sucks
    especially e one at buangkok... there e stall owners/helpers oso seems quite blurr...