Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Don't like my style don't hire me"

Default Re: "Don't like my style don't hire me"

Quote Originally Posted by yqt View Post
    An agency once hired me for the job though they don't really agreed with the way I shoot ( PR event and they want pictures of ALL the guest in "stand in a row look into the camera and smile" but I hate "Police Line Up Shots" ) but I know the client and they insist that I do the shoot.
    In the end, I shoot what the client wants to see ( my style ) and also what the agency wanted to see ( the agency's style ).

Moral of the story, "Don't like my style, fine. What's the style you like? I'll see if I can do it." This is how I pay the bills
    I like your moral of the story. Basically I'm a design vending machine, clients just punch my buttons and I produce coke, bubbletea or even Kopi-siu tai mai hum for them.

I keep my own 'styles' for my own personal projects, i see my profession as a service to others rather than a huge ego tripping experience.

An agency once hired me for the job though they don't really agreed with the way I shoot ( PR event and they want pictures of ALL the guest in "stand in a row look into the camera and smile" but I hate "Police Line Up Shots" ) but I know the client and they insist that I do the shoot.
    In the end, I shoot what the client wants to see ( my style ) and also what the agency wanted to see ( the agency's style ).

Moral of the story, "Don't like my style, fine. What's the style you like? I'll see if I can do it." This is how I pay the bills

Finally...some words of wisdom cometh ......

Quote Originally Posted by sammy888 View Post
    Words of wisdom? No lar but thank you, thank you
    I get paid more shooting part time ...... damn, I should find more time to shoot part time

OOI!

Nawt only YQT can cum eeu kno!

usually clients would have 1st appreciate or like his/her style b4 deciding on awarding the project to the artist... well...if the artist dun want to bend a bit, ... let the market decide...

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    OOI!

Nawt only YQT can cum eeu kno!
    Wahpiang you still "speak" like that outside exposed thread leh. I really don;t know what the heck you are saying. So don;t understand your wisdom

Wahpiang you still "speak" like that outside exposed thread leh. I really don;t know what the heck you are saying. So don;t understand your wisdom
    Dun buff!

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Merchant View Post
    Dun buff!

If you are a professional designer, (ie. you are designing as a profession), I feel that servicing your clients should take priority, and their best interests should come first. But of course you can always try to put forward your point of view and see if they like it. It all boils down to your persuasion skills. If you have to turn away every client who don't like your style and wait for that one big client that like your style, it's a rather risky way of doing business.

Quote Originally Posted by redstone View Post
    What do you think of someone who says this. Do you agree or disagree?

Not just photography, but any design/arts related field.
    It's the fact.

If saves everyone's time. Don't like don't hire. Move on to find someone else.

I think you have to also consider in from another point of view. Not all those people who actually would say that are really THAT GOOD EVEN! hehehehehe...

I do alot of my own designing and creative..etc. But I also have to sometime hire talents to supplement my projects or just someone better at some skill then me. I have a few who di dnot take to directions well. Make a few change here and there and they go off the tangent.

Granted desing solutions sometime are not a one way fit or fix all. You have to tweak it abit and well if you are that creative and that good..you should be able to within your "style" come up creatively with a solution to make you and me and everyone happy. heheh And then there are those who are actually not that good. And you look at some of their stuff and well sometime you just want him to get the job done since he is here and you have no time to look for another...and you just tell them some of the changes you want done to their initial creative idea. There are those they refuse..they want to stand behind their work and not compromise their creative integrity. heheh It's simple run of the mill creative work. I just need it to not just be creative or overly creative..but it must serve a need or a message so sometime you tone things done or soft some visual to tune the idea. But they go off the deep end. hehe.. You know what with folks like this... I will take the time to do it myself even if I have non then to give him/her anymore work.

It's fun how some people in the creative line can claim to be creative but yet can not over an initial creative with abit more creativity so they can not just make everyone happy or meet them half way but challenge themselves to archieve even greater skill......and style.

I think it's very dependent on the studio.. some studios have strict guidelines on styles and feel, some would give u all the freedom in the world, as long as the final piece looks good. Big companies tend to focus more on image and quality of work, while small companies will tend to focus more on making the most money from the project, which is why they'll tend to stick to the safe side... at least, that's my general impression from work so far...

And the design line isn't big in SG... your name would probably go around for inappropriate attitude... unless you're a big name of course
    Last edited by Lolrence; 21st November 2008 at 03:38 PM.

Well, even someone as arrogant, talented, and frugal like the great Michelangelo did not adopt such a "style".

It seems everyone wants to live the life of an eccentric genious... big hat, no cattle

That's how i do it too....

Just shoot what they like and shoot what you think is best........BEST OF BOTH WORLDS....

It's a fine art of balancing, I won't turn down the client. If the client wants something I know is distasteful and still insist I do the job, charge higher than usual! This way, even if the job sucks for me, I can still look forward to the cheque!

I'd agree.
    As consumer I'd want to be sure I get what I pay for.
    The service provider woudl worry more since its their ricebowl.
    If they can survive, then they must be doing somehting right.

Many possibilities why the service provider has their own 'style'.
    One negative guess is because they can only do one style!

Only two kinds of people make remarks of "Don't like my style don't hire me": Amateur (people who do art/photography for the love of it) and legendary/known figure (people who make so much money in their art/photography, they could choose).

If the person who make the remark is a professional, but not that well-known, then he/she is just immature and will be out of business soon.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12