Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Photography Course

  1. #1

    Default Photography Course

    Has anyone taken the cert in basic photography with nafa? Is it good?

  2. #2
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: Photography Course

    Yes it's good, the lecturers are knowledgeable and you will have a good hands-on feel of both film & digital photography, including darkroom techniques.

    Be prepared to work hard though, it's not a learn everything in one lesson kind of course. You're expected to attend classes from 7-10pm, twice a week for 20 weeks. You're also expected to do your own homework (shoot pics in your spare time).

  3. #3

    Default Re: Photography Course

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Yes it's good, the lecturers are knowledgeable and you will have a good hands-on feel of both film & digital photography, including darkroom techniques.

    Be prepared to work hard though, it's not a learn everything in one lesson kind of course. You're expected to attend classes from 7-10pm, twice a week for 20 weeks. You're also expected to do your own homework (shoot pics in your spare time).
    Thanks for sharing.In this digital era, is darkroom techniques still useful?

  4. #4
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: Photography Course

    Quote Originally Posted by cesoon View Post
    Thanks for sharing.In this digital era, is darkroom techniques still useful?
    I find it useful. It gives you a good understanding of techniques, contrast, tone and saturation, which will help you in digital as well, since many things from Photoshop come from the darkroom, eg masking, dodging, burning etc.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Photography Course

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    I find it useful. It gives you a good understanding of techniques, contrast, tone and saturation, which will help you in digital as well, since many things from Photoshop come from the darkroom, eg masking, dodging, burning etc.
    I see. I couldn't find much info no Nafa website. Does the course include studio photography?

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
    Posts
    337

    Default Re: Photography Course

    how do i register for the nafa photography course?
    Nikon D300|MB-D10|Nikon F2|Nikon 24-70mm f2.8G ED|Nikon 70-210mm f/4-5.6 AF-D|SB-80DX|Next:70-200mm

  7. #7
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: Photography Course

    Got studio, portrait and product but those are intro sections lah, only around 3-4 weeks each +/- and once a week for portrait and studio only.

    I find the instructors are knowledgeable and definitely you will learn something useful from them.

  8. #8
    Member Deming86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SengKang
    Posts
    261

    Default Re: Photography Course

    Wow.. Course Fee of $1200 (http://www.nafa.edu.sg/in_courses/pa...basicphoto.htm) for one semester. Hmm..
    Shoot with your heart, not for greed/ego..

  9. #9

    Talking Re: Photography Course

    Quote Originally Posted by Deming86 View Post
    Wow.. Course Fee of $1200 (http://www.nafa.edu.sg/in_courses/pa...basicphoto.htm) for one semester. Hmm..
    $1200, not bad bah. If below quote is true.
    7pm-10pm = 3 hrs
    (3hrs X 2/wk) X 20 wks = 120hrs
    1hr = $10 (less than primary sch tuition fees ;P)

    There are many reputable photography clubs and societies offering courses too. Like PSS and ahemm... SAFRA Photographic Club etc =P
    I could be biased thou.


    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Yes it's good, the lecturers are knowledgeable and you will have a good hands-on feel of both film & digital photography, including darkroom techniques.

    Be prepared to work hard though, it's not a learn everything in one lesson kind of course. You're expected to attend classes from 7-10pm, twice a week for 20 weeks. You're also expected to do your own homework (shoot pics in your spare time).

  10. #10

    Default Re: Photography Course

    The course is already full. Sigh.... :

  11. #11
    Member Deming86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    SengKang
    Posts
    261

    Default Re: Photography Course

    Hmm.. How would the certification help in Singapore's context? When applying for photojournalistic jobs?
    Shoot with your heart, not for greed/ego..

  12. #12

    Default Re: Photography Course

    I think ur work and portfolio matter more than the certificate

  13. #13
    Senior Member G-man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    My House
    Posts
    2,216

    Default Re: Photography Course

    If I am going to hire a creative person (photographer, designer, copywriter, artist etc), I won't even look at the certification first. I would look at his/her portfolio. Don't get too hung up on certs. Certs are merely proof that you have completed a fixed course and have demonstrated an ability to understand the fundamentals of the course. Almost anyone can complete a course.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •