Thread: Photography Course

Default Photography Course

Has anyone taken the cert in basic photography with nafa? Is it good?

Default Re: Photography Course

Yes it's good, the lecturers are knowledgeable and you will have a good hands-on feel of both film & digital photography, including darkroom techniques.

Be prepared to work hard though, it's not a learn everything in one lesson kind of course. You're expected to attend classes from 7-10pm, twice a week for 20 weeks. You're also expected to do your own homework (shoot pics in your spare time).

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Yes it's good, the lecturers are knowledgeable and you will have a good hands-on feel of both film & digital photography, including darkroom techniques.

Be prepared to work hard though, it's not a learn everything in one lesson kind of course. You're expected to attend classes from 7-10pm, twice a week for 20 weeks. You're also expected to do your own homework (shoot pics in your spare time).
    Thanks for sharing.In this digital era, is darkroom techniques still useful?

Quote Originally Posted by cesoon View Post
    Thanks for sharing.In this digital era, is darkroom techniques still useful?
    I find it useful. It gives you a good understanding of techniques, contrast, tone and saturation, which will help you in digital as well, since many things from Photoshop come from the darkroom, eg masking, dodging, burning etc.

I find it useful. It gives you a good understanding of techniques, contrast, tone and saturation, which will help you in digital as well, since many things from Photoshop come from the darkroom, eg masking, dodging, burning etc.
    I see. I couldn't find much info no Nafa website. Does the course include studio photography?

how do i register for the nafa photography course?
    Nikon D300|MB-D10|Nikon F2|Nikon 24-70mm f2.8G ED|Nikon 70-210mm f/4-5.6 AF-D|SB-80DX|Next:70-200mm

Got studio, portrait and product but those are intro sections lah, only around 3-4 weeks each +/- and once a week for portrait and studio only.

I find the instructors are knowledgeable and definitely you will learn something useful from them.

Wow.. Course Fee of $1200 (http://www.nafa.edu.sg/in_courses/pa...basicphoto.htm) for one semester. Hmm..
    Shoot with your heart, not for greed/ego..

Talking Re: Photography Course

Quote Originally Posted by Deming86 View Post
    Wow.. Course Fee of $1200 (http://www.nafa.edu.sg/in_courses/pa...basicphoto.htm) for one semester. Hmm..
    $1200, not bad bah. If below quote is true.
    7pm-10pm = 3 hrs
    (3hrs X 2/wk) X 20 wks = 120hrs
    1hr = $10 (less than primary sch tuition fees ;P)

There are many reputable photography clubs and societies offering courses too. Like PSS and ahemm... SAFRA Photographic Club etc =P
    I could be biased thou.

The course is already full. Sigh.... :

Hmm.. How would the certification help in Singapore's context? When applying for photojournalistic jobs?
    Shoot with your heart, not for greed/ego..

I think ur work and portfolio matter more than the certificate

If I am going to hire a creative person (photographer, designer, copywriter, artist etc), I won't even look at the certification first. I would look at his/her portfolio. Don't get too hung up on certs. Certs are merely proof that you have completed a fixed course and have demonstrated an ability to understand the fundamentals of the course. Almost anyone can complete a course.