Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: 50 Beautiful Eg Of Tilt-Shift Photography & How To Make Fake Miniature T-S Photos

  1. #1

    Default 50 Beautiful Eg Of Tilt-Shift Photography & How To Make Fake Miniature T-S Photos

    found this article, <50 Beautiful Examples Of Tilt-Shift Photography & How To Make Fake Miniature Tilt-Shift Photos?>.

    is this another purpose for TS lens? me thought is mainly for architectural shoots.
    Nothing2C
    Nikon [D300, MB-D10, D80, Trinity, 85/1.4, 50/1.4, 18-200, SB-800]

  2. #2
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: 50 Beautiful Eg Of Tilt-Shift Photography & How To Make Fake Miniature T-S Photos

    The selective focusing of the tilt and its placement reproduces such a mininaturisation effect, or it can give u the great depth of field without excessive stopping down compared to an untilted lens.

    Of course the shift is very is useful for architectural shots especially in film days, as well as making seamless panoramas.

    There is no end to creativity, why just restrict it to architecture

    Ryan

  3. #3

    Default Re: 50 Beautiful Eg Of Tilt-Shift Photography & How To Make Fake Miniature T-S Photos

    Quote Originally Posted by cryder View Post
    me thought is mainly for architectural shoots.
    No necessary.... Tilt-shift lenses can be used to produce very creative images; sort of like using a LensBaby.

    In fact, the concept behind the LensBaby is based in such lenses.

  4. #4

    Default Re: 50 Beautiful Eg Of Tilt-Shift Photography & How To Make Fake Miniature T-S Photos

    vincent laforet used such a lens during the beijing olympics too. click here. you got to go through the images to find examples.

  5. #5

    Default Re: 50 Beautiful Eg Of Tilt-Shift Photography & How To Make Fake Miniature T-S Photos

    Does that mean that if I have a tilt-shift lens, I reproduce those miniature effect? If that is the case, is it any tilt shift lens regardless of angle of view can do that?

    I suppose tilt-shift is perspective control(PC)?

  6. #6

    Default Re: 50 Beautiful Eg Of Tilt-Shift Photography & How To Make Fake Miniature T-S Photos

    Quote Originally Posted by photobum View Post
    No necessary.... Tilt-shift lenses can be used to produce very creative images; sort of like using a LensBaby.

    In fact, the concept behind the LensBaby is based in such lenses.
    May I know can a lens baby produce the miniature effect?

  7. #7
    Senior Member Kit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Upper Bukit Timah
    Posts
    11,668

    Default Re: 50 Beautiful Eg Of Tilt-Shift Photography & How To Make Fake Miniature T-S Photos

    Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    Does that mean that if I have a tilt-shift lens, I reproduce those miniature effect? If that is the case, is it any tilt shift lens regardless of angle of view can do that?

    I suppose tilt-shift is perspective control(PC)?
    Any T/S lens can achieve the miniature effect.

    As the name suggests, T/S lenses has 2 functions. Tilt as you see here, gives you the miniature effect or so called altering the depth of field. Shift is used for correct perspectives.

  8. #8
    Senior Member giantcanopy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    SG
    Posts
    6,232

    Default Re: 50 Beautiful Eg Of Tilt-Shift Photography & How To Make Fake Miniature T-S Photos

    Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    Does that mean that if I have a tilt-shift lens, I reproduce those miniature effect? If that is the case, is it any tilt shift lens regardless of angle of view can do that?

    I suppose tilt-shift is perspective control(PC)?
    PC is in a way a misnomer for the newer Nikon lenses. The original Nikon PC lenses were shift lenses that only does shift functions. ( But even then it is in no way a perspective control if you think about it - but thats another arguement for another time )

    The newer PC lenses have a tilt function as well. Starting from the 85mm PC, to the current 3 PC-E offerings. Canon label their series as the T/S lenses.

    Ryan

    Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    May I know can a lens baby produce the miniature effect?
    Theoretically can since the concept is similar. Never used one before but i suspect it is really not as easily done as a T/S lens even at their widest aperture. ( Might be because of the uncorrected lens abberations in a lensbaby compared to a T/S lens )

    Ryan

  9. #9

    Default Re: 50 Beautiful Eg Of Tilt-Shift Photography & How To Make Fake Miniature T-S Photos

    Quote Originally Posted by giantcanopy View Post
    The selective focusing of the tilt and its placement reproduces such a mininaturisation effect, or it can give u the great depth of field without excessive stopping down compared to an untilted lens.

    Of course the shift is very is useful for architectural shots especially in film days, as well as making seamless panoramas.

    There is no end to creativity, why just restrict it to architecture

    Ryan
    nv try a TS or PC lens before ma(specialty lens). would prefer the poor man approach by using photoshop for the miniturization effect...
    Nothing2C
    Nikon [D300, MB-D10, D80, Trinity, 85/1.4, 50/1.4, 18-200, SB-800]

  10. #10

    Default Re: 50 Beautiful Eg Of Tilt-Shift Photography & How To Make Fake Miniature T-S Photos

    Quote Originally Posted by Henessy View Post
    May I know can a lens baby produce the miniature effect?
    Just as giantcanopy wrote, it can theoretically.

    A Lensbaby, however, add other visual distortions to your final image, so I am not sure if that is the result you want.
    Last edited by photobum; 19th November 2008 at 12:40 AM.

  11. #11

    Default Re: 50 Beautiful Eg Of Tilt-Shift Photography & How To Make Fake Miniature T-S Photos

    In practical usage, the LBs cannot replicate the overall results of a TS lense because of it's largely uncorrected optical design.

    Believe me, I was SOOOO hoping it could!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •