Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gretag Eye-one ICC

Quote Originally Posted by Watcher
    www.colormall.com The company is in California, and is very responsive. If you search for these items on Amazon, they would refer you to Colormall (an affliate I think). Take a look through their catalog, some of the items cost

~hey hey~...thanx a mill~! checking it out now
    Believe it. And it will be so.

Quote Originally Posted by vince123123
    Funny thing is some shops absolutely refuse to give you their profiles, e.g. fotohub. anyone knows what type of printers they use and whehter a corresponding ICC profile can be got off the net?

they give reasons like "oh we calibrate the printer everyday so can't give profile" and when asked whtehr that means the prints always looks different from day to day, the answer was "yes".

which makes me wonder...why bother to calibrate if it always looks different, is n't calibrating supposed to match the device intended to be calirbated, to a fixed standard?

No, not really. Calibration is to take the response of a device, and provide a reference to ensure images are predictable, not to a fixed standard. What standard? There is none.

The device can only drift so much between each day. My advice is to get one profile, make all your adjustment, do a soft proof for a few pictures before you send a huge printing job through.

Quote Originally Posted by Horus
    ~hey hey~...thanx a mill~! checking it out now
    No prob. They have basICColor Squid Bundle Win (CRT/LCD) at US$199! So which one would you choose ?

No prob. They have basICColor Squid Bundle Win (CRT/LCD) at US$199! So which one would you choose ?
    ~hehee~ still deciding...will let u know ya. not the squidy thing tho. either get the i1 color, photo or publish

vince123123
    Guests

well i have no idea, but thats what they say. im not even sure the person knows what he is talking abt cos he says the prints will always look different....maybe just to cover themeslves they say that, but practically maybe minor differnce only...who knows :P

in nay case, they just simply refuse to provide an iCC profile, unless other labs...e.g. was it digipro?, which does.

Quote Originally Posted by Horus
    that sounds like a very diplomatic way to say WE DON't CALIBRATE go to somewhere else that offers? prints should not look diff BECAUSE they profile it everyday to compensate for the differences...it's proper conversion to the calibrated color space that is important.

vince123123
    Guests

I apologise if i wasn't clear. what i meant by "fixed standard" is not an industry wide fixed std, but a reference standard which they calibrate their equipment to every day (they do claim that they calibrate rite?). calibration is meaningless if there is no reference to calibrate to. and this reference is what i meant by "fixed standard".

secondly, i've asked and htey refuse to give the profile...so how do i "get one profile"?

No, not really. Calibration is to take the response of a device, and provide a reference to ensure images are predictable, not to a fixed standard. What standard? There is none.

The device can only drift so much between each day. My advice is to get one profile, make all your adjustment, do a soft proof for a few pictures before you send a huge printing job through.

secondly, i've asked and htey refuse to give the profile...so how do i "get one profile"?
    you simply can't get THEIR profile cause it is provided by them. The profile is supposed to be sampled with the ink and paper THEY use.

Only Lab i know that freely gives their profile when asked was Digipro. Have yet to try printing through them tho. Unfortunately they did not reply my second email when I asked them about pricing and 5R print sizes tho

I apologise if i wasn't clear. what i meant by "fixed standard" is not an industry wide fixed std, but a reference standard which they calibrate their equipment to every day (they do claim that they calibrate rite?). calibration is meaningless if there is no reference to calibrate to. and this reference is what i meant by "fixed standard".

Profiling means to have a table that compensates for the delta (DE) between the base and the output. IE, if a set of 500 color patches of various RGB or LAB values are printed out, sampled and compared to the original value, the difference is then noted. This will then set a baseline for the output and the output can then be compensated for the difference.

The set of difference is then the profile that they should give you, and when you edit your images with this profile, it will then show you what the printout will look like. As you can imagine, the profile cannot be shared between printers/output devices as the ink, paper and many factors contribute to the output. So getting a ICC profile for a particular printer that they are using is useless as well.

If they refuse, then try another company or take the risk, hoping that it will come out right. For the latter, try doing a few soft proofs, ie print a few samples and then compare the results.
    Last edited by Watcher; 4th September 2003 at 07:00 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12